DarkPlaces vs. GLPRO Conversion Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkPlaces vs. GLPRO Conversion Poll

What would it take for you to switch from GLPRO to DarkPlaces considering DarkPlaces now supports the majority of ProQuake features (loc support, bestweapon, ping in scoreboard)?

One thing that had bothered some people (including me) was tilde not closing the console and that has been changed to the default.

GLPRO has not been developed in nearly 5 years and DarkPlaces has a tons of conveniences and capabilities above and beyond GLPRO:

1. Change video mode/resolution via the menu
    2. Change vsync via menu
    3. Change brightness via menu
    4. 24 Texture support
    5. Auto-download capability when used with a DarkPlaces server even if the DP server is using the Quake protocol (which allows any Quake client to connect).
    6. Crosshair customization
    7. Mouselook is in the menu AND saves to the config
    8. FOV is in the menu AND saves to the config
    9. Support for 16 mouse buttons (ProQuake only supports 4).
    10. Many other features, of course, including effects

If you already use another engine such as Qrack or don't have a video card that can do GL, that's fine. I'm looking to see what what it would take to move online play beyond GLPRO as the baseline.
    If DarkPlaces had a GLPRO (GLQuake) appearance option and I got the same FPS
    37.50%
    Cheat-free support in some form
    37.50%
    Other
    25.00%
    I am open to switching as is
    0.00%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Rebuild the Quake engine to incorporate OpenGL support from the ground up. The patch is crap.
    'My teammates are no good to me alive.' -Bank on CA.

'I'll cry when I'm done killin!' -A REAL Patriot

Clan TU

Your own... personal... Shambler
    someone to hear your prayers
    someone who cares
    your own... personal... Shambie
    someone to hear your prayers
    someone whos there

Comment

Here are some images of my DarkPlaces setup:

#1 - The Start Map

--
      #2 - The New Streamlined Menu

--
      #3 - DM6

--
      #4 - Another DM6

--
      #5 - Yes, that's actually DM3

--
      #6 - Another DM3

--
      #7 - And another DM3

I have custom models/textures/charset/hud/etc. but that's what mine looks like. Admittedly, I have a lot of things OFF in the menu so my setup does not look like how most think of DarkPlaces.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by MrGreen
        Admittedly, I have a lot of things OFF in the menu so my setup does not look like how most think of DarkPlaces.
        I can fix that

#1 - The Start Map

--
        #2 - The New Streamlined Menu
        redundant to make another pic of that
        --
        #3 - DM6

--
        #4 - Another DM6

--
        #5 - Yes, that's actually DM3

--
        #6 - Another DM3

--
        #7 - And another DM3

I'm using some of PrimeviL's modified skins and Starbuck's modified textures.

Comment

I'd like it to have similiar rough textures as Gl proquake.

But, i'd settle more for cheatfree play.

Comment

wow those graphics look nice.... is that all done in the config?? is it posible to get a config from you cs? and replace mine with it :d
            amd 3200 2.2ghz
            2Gb corsair ddr400
            nvidia 6200 256Mb
            audigy 2 zs
            vista ultimate
            and not a bean to my name

Comment

I'm should also mention that I'm using the rtlight files that go into the cubemaps folder

There's really nothing to my config. Just choose:
              Game Brightness 3
              Effects:
              - Explosive Shells
              - Decals

Lighting:
              - RTWORLD
              - Blooms (I don't use HDR blooms)

I use other settings as well but for what you saw in those pics, use the above settings I'm also only mentioning the ones that aren't already in the default DP config.

Comment

How about settings (graphics) profiles without me having to mess with renaming config files? (I'm super lazy) Yah. And you should be able to save and load them from the menu.

And while you're at it do a whole new menu 'cos the quake menu is antiquated poo. We have point-and-click interfaces now they're all the rage.

And also make realtime lighting fast on this minimum-feature video card that came with my computer. Yaaaah.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                  I can fix that

#1 - The Start Map
                  Keep in mind that few GLPRO hardcores have any interest at all [from a full-time online play usage point of view] in settings that can't actually be used in a serious game.

I don't believe the settings you posted would be used by anyone in actual game where someone was trying to win because 1. the FPS probably is not good and 2. the visibility sucks.

Most GLPRO pro users -- the ones playing CA, DM and some of the ones playing RQ -- would only be interested in 1 thing:

1. Can you kick someone's ass with the engine as well as GLPRO and that's going to mean seeing the other players well and FPS.

These players would only switch engines if it accomodates their needs.

/Although your settings do look very nice

Comment

I did this because you said your replaced textures, etc were just your perspective. All I did was put mine in too. Anyone else who uses DP is free to post pics.

edit: I should also add that I rarely use RTWorld + Blooms when playing in any kind of deathmatch.
                    Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 03-19-2007, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                        I did this because you said your replaced textures, etc were just your perspective. All I did was put mine in too. Anyone else who uses DP is free to post pics.
                        DarkPlaces seems to render 24-bit textures just as fast as 8-bit textures.

I don't use gigantic 24-bit textures like the QRP, I use 2:1 ratio 24-bit textures. I also wanted to highlight the fact:

1. The stereotype of everything being dark in DarkPlaces can be changed by settings.

2. Some players like new weapon models/textures and other things that are very common amongst Qrack/JoeQuake users and Quakeworld players can be done in DarkPlaces; they cannot be in ProQuake because ProQuake doesn't support 24-bit textures and seems to have a polygon limit on models that precludes many from working.

Comment

Win ProQuake via the ProQuake site

GL ProQuake via the ProQuake site

scar3crow's DM3 screenshot from above with the settings he is using

Comment

ive tried qrack/joequake/darkplaces...basically its not the feel of quake.

most people who still play will agree. why try and make it look better? if u want better graphics do play new games
                            This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
                            Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              2. Some players like new weapon models/textures and other things that are very common amongst Qrack/JoeQuake users and Quakeworld players can be done in DarkPlaces; they cannot be in ProQuake because ProQuake doesn't support 24-bit textures and seems to have a polygon limit on models that precludes many from working.
                              I would too if I saw some alterations that I really like. I tend to stick with Quake's original style. Your RL in dm6 was a big lawl when I saw you using it Team Fortress right?

To state the obvious in the poll, Darkplaces can be considered cheat free due to the fact that it can host in the DP7 protocol. As I've discussed with others, and I'll admit that I'm taking his words right out of his mouth, glpro's cheat-free is only serving as a means to exclude other client quake engines from joining. The real reason we want cheatfree (I sure hope it is) is to reduce cheats. DP has settings which eliminate the threat of wall-hacking and there's really not much you can do to stop an aim-bot other than by looking at efficiency and for obvious exe files. DP can be running these settings in the QUAKE protocol as well (I don't see why not).

Darkplaces can look very similar to GLpro with a good FPS but I'm not about to say that the FPS will be better or worse than GLpro.

I can see this thread ending with a "Well guess what? DP already has these features so what are you waiting for?"

Comment

Working...
                              X