This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    Thank you Baker. I'll try it out as soon as you will make it.
    Download: ProQuake 3.64 - Unofficial - Zip format - 0.5 MB

Taxi, add -nodemolist to your command line and it should eliminate the issue you are having with either too many maps or demos or with excessively long file names.

If that fails add -nodemolist and -nomaplist to your command line.

C is so primitive when it comes to string handling (as opposed to C++ or other modern languages) I want to postpone working on a proper fix for the time being. (Quake was written in C, not C++ as some people think).

I am going to find out if the JoeQuake demos menu has this same limitation and then think more about the best solution.

EDIT: Link fixed; it was pointing to the 3.60 release and not the 3.64 release.
    Last edited by Baker; 06-11-2007, 06:39 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I'm afraid it still doesn't work
      It's always a good day when you get laid...

Comment

Sometime tonight we'll run a test that should make it clear what the problem is, aguirRe has showed me something very valuable for tracking down the source of crashes.

My time quality sucks around this time of day, but around 10 PM Eastern I can dedicate some quality time to this, if you will around then.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Taxi, re-download the above. I didn't put the right download link in the above post. Sorry about that.

Comment

Woo Hoo... Works now. it was because of my anti cheat demo collection I guess I have around 350Mb od my demos for the last 1.5 month so no1 will accuse me of cheating and all of them have long names.
            Thank you Baker.
            It's always a good day when you get laid...

Comment

Woo Hoo... Works now. it was because of my anti cheat demo collection I guess I have around 350Mb od my demos for the last 1.5 month so no1 will accuse me of cheating and all of them have long names.
              Thank you Baker.
              Alrighty then! Glad that's resolved. Thank you for your assistance on this Taxi.

Comment

;o

awsome shit here baker ;o, good to see someone else who finally codes, if u want some help or whatever lemme know, also i think its possible to edit JP's .dll to allow your client as long as you know its crc.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  awsome shit here baker ;o, good to see someone else who finally codes, if u want some help or whatever lemme know, also i think its possible to edit JP's .dll to allow your client as long as you know its crc.
                  Neil, I would like your help, I've read about some of the innovations you've come up with and am very curious about some of them.

In fact, I'd like your help, Rook's help and RocketGuy's help. I would prefer for this to be a "community engine" with everyone adding their expertise to it. And I'd also like to see some of the concepts I've put in this added to other engines (it isn't something one would notice, but a new player has no need to edit a config, you can set it up in 2 minutes flat via the menu [for the most part] and every important cvar saves to the config -- although more input is needed from experienced players and I do want to add an prebuilt alias command to inject commonly used aliases into memory on start if a cvar is set) -- just wait until the "real" new things are added to the engine.

I have a mega-shocker in the pipeline that will blow your mind.
                  Last edited by Baker; 06-12-2007, 02:29 AM.

Comment

well, ive come up with clientside ogl blocking and such, i think with rooks client/cax abilitie to tell what client has connected, u may not even need JP's security, ive also come up with a temp ogl fix but its award for rage and other cax servers.

Comment

Download: ProQuake 3.65 - Unofficial - Zip format - 0.5 MB

3 new features or maybe just 2 depending on what you count as separate features:

1. Vertical sync is off. If you are one of the many GL ProQuake users who is stuck at 60 or 72 FPS simply because you don't know how to navigate thru the control panel to force hardware vsync to off, this one's for you.

You can't turn vsync on in this. It will always be off -- unless your hardware doesn't support it. But then again, I've never seen anyone complain about vsync being off in any engine (we'll find out if this is an issue for anyone) and vsync is something anyone would want off if they can use it. You can set maxfps with pq_maxfps, of course, just like in the past.

2. Intelligent sizing in GLPro. Just start GLPro with c:\quake\glpro.exe and it will (try) to pick a resolution that makes sense for your screen aspect ratio with NO COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS. c:\quake\glpro.exe <-- that's it.

It will use to 640 x 480 x 16 BPP if you have 4:3 aspect ratio, otherwise if you have 8:5 or 14:9 or, in fact, any other aspect ratio, it will try to use your screen resolution.

This is only if you don't specify it.

I also increased the video modes to match Qrack, which I believe will enable widescreen support, etc. etc.

3. Intelligent console sizing. This is more important. Characters will never be stretched unless you do this yourself by using -conwidth and -conheight in the command line.

If you start ProQuake without those parameters, 3.65 will select a conwidth and conheight that make sense for your resolution and if your resolution would make the characters tiny, it will reduce the console size by 50% (which makes the console text larger) to keep everything legible (instead of having microscopic characters).

4. Maxfps has been added to the advanced settings menu. You can only select 72 / 120 / 200 and 250 but you can type pq_maxfps 500 or whatever you want and it will save to your config (it doesn't save in 3.50).

That's it for now.

I forgot to mention that 3.64 had the ability to bind the Windows key and Context menu added (but you can't really use the Windows keys because they will exit you out.) Just wanted to mention that because that question was asked earlier.

/If you experience a problem, let me know. This is the first one that has anything that could have unplanned problems on specific video cards/machines. I don't expect it to be a problem, but if someone experiences a problem I won't know unless someone tells me.
                      Last edited by Baker; 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Neil, just FYI I sent you a private message.

Comment

Testing note: the smart resolution selecting when started without command line parameters is apparently not selecting a valid resolution sometimes on non-4:3 displays, for example it said "Video mode not available" on my widescreen laptop.

So that needs some more work. It, of course, works just fine if you specify -width and -height.

Comment

Download: ProQuake 3.66 - Unofficial - Zip format - 0.5 MB

What's New?

Just 1 thing, but it is a convenient feature.

GLPro now will automatically select the maximum performance resolution that your display/video card supports that is also the right aspect ratio for your monitor.

-width and -height are no longer necessary, unless you have a very particular resolution that you prefer.

On a widescreen display, on start up it will check the aspect ratio of various modes available and try to find one that will look nice on-screen and is higher performance. Failing that, it will use the current resolution.

This is a big improvement over the defaults that ProQuake previously used. 640x480 looks terrible and distorted on a widescreen, for instance.

This has been tested on a number of different aspect ratios and appears to perform great and the nicest thing about this is that it can find a better full-screen resolution than a human can.

I loaded it on my widescreen laptop that has a resolution of 1440 x 900. The performance of 1440x 900 is terrible, it gets 30-40 FPS (think of all the work that has to be done for that many pixels). It started up at 720 x 450 resolution, which I didn't even know was available on my laptop, and I got 150 FPS (not bad for a laptop video card).

The source code is available here.

Comment

Hey Baker, Gunter had some new proquake feature suggestions / requests, if you're interested. Of course since he is registerphobic, he couldn't post them here himself, so they're over on the old FvF forum:

http://www.divstudios.po.gs/fvf/foru...pic.php?t=1649

Anyhow, thanks again for adding that winkey feature.

Comment

I've seen a couple of people voice their opinions on re-enabling the "tell" command in proquake. The tell command was originally disabled to help prevent cheating:

"The 'tell' command can be used to cheat in a match, as it allows an observer to pass information directly to a player in the game about his opponents' whereabouts. It has therefore been disabled in ProQuake."

I think this is a valid concern, but should not be handled by the client, but rather, by the mod.

Comment

Working...
                                X