This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qrack Setup Questions/Answers

I'm trying out Qrack since I need a temporary engine to play against the Frikbots. The Frikbot physics don't work right with DP (fall through lifts/outside of level), so I'm testing out Qrack (v1.80). Here are my complaints:

-Always get cl_writetoserver errors in console, and things about dropping datagrams along with random bits of lag.

- Also get things about tri, vert, and cmd, in the console whenever a map loads. Just a minor thing.

-Ping reader is sometimes screwy, I was looking at the pings in shmack and other peoples were in the 1400s, and bouncing back down to 50 and whatnot.

-The blood particles from shafting someone/shooting someone, aren't as dense/close together as I want. (Same thing with the rocket explosions in classic mode, too many little dots flying everywhere) Is there a way to adjust this?

-The gun model is gigantic, looks too fat.

-The crosshair is a bit too big, is there an option to reduce the size?

-An in-game resolution changer would be very helpful, I hate setting things from the command line. Also a BPP changer would be nice. I don't have to put anything in my DP command line, but my Qrack one is looong.

-The mousewheel/mouseclicks don't do anything in the control changer. Just minor, but its annoying that I have to set them in the console.

-Need an option to put on default ID1 skyboxes/speed. I don't like the new skyboxes, they move too fast and don't look as "Quakey"

-Wateralpha is weird. I'll turn it all the way down, and when I'm standing right near the bottom bridge in DM3, its just how I want it. However, when I go up to the top bridge, i can't see through it as good anymore.

-The quad texture is weird looking. Has blue stripes across it ?

-The eyes in ring of shadows appear on the floor, instead of mid-air where they are supposed to be.

-i also don't like how it shows the player scores. Sometimes it doesn't show the top player whose winning like DP does, and I have to keep bringing up the rankings to see how many players there really are, and who is really winning.

Overall, Qrack is a nice engine, could use some polishing with some of these features added in...
    Last edited by Monster; 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM.

I know the answer to the crosshair one: do crosshairsize 1 in the console.

Yeah, and about the size of the gun. After using DarkPlaces or FitzQuake for a while, the "fat" gun model in every other engine including WinQuake/GLQuake starts to look really silly.

That is why I added r_truegunangle into glpro370.exe; the reason the gun model looks nice in DarkPlaces is there is some code in GLQuake to "hack" the position of the gun depending on FOV. DarkPlaces and FitzQuake removed that hack. I added it as an option so you can do it the GLQuake way or the DarkPlaces way.

I hope Rook adds that option into Qrack.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks Baker. Qrack really needs to have a longer list of things to tweak in its menus. The crosshairsize, the muzzleflashes, etc. DP has all of these things and much more so you dont have to do too much messing around with commands and such.

Comment

okay here goes....

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        I'm trying out Qrack since I need a temporary engine to play against the Frikbots. The Frikbot physics don't work right with DP (fall through lifts/outside of level), so I'm testing out Qrack (v1.80). Here are my complaints:

-Always get cl_writetoserver errors in console, and things about dropping datagrams along with random bits of lag.
        Fixed.
        - Also get things about tri, vert, and cmd, in the console whenever a map loads. Just a minor thing.
        set "developer 0" ?? those are MD3 feedback errors..

-Ping reader is sometimes screwy, I was looking at the pings in shmack and other peoples were in the 1400s, and bouncing back down to 50 and whatnot.
        ya qrack doesnt like pqc_pingtimes on runequake... timting issues as proquake uses a flot for time and qrack uses a double, not sure if it matters.. but even if i used the EXACT proquake code for reading ping times from the server it craps out, hmm maybe its a type cast bug... Basically at the moment it filters the PING command output, which is a literal string! :S

-The blood particles from shafting someone/shooting someone, aren't as dense/close together as I want. (Same thing with the rocket explosions in classic mode, too many little dots flying everywhere) Is there a way to adjust this?
        my next version has new blood particles etc... plus brighter (same as original)
        explosions are a bit non standard in classic mode, i should revert...

-The gun model is gigantic, looks too fat.
        cl_gun_fovscale 0, this option if set to 1 renders the gun model correctly independant of the FOV. so the gun model at fov 90 looks same as fov 120 ...
        default is 1...

-The crosshair is a bit too big, is there an option to reduce the size?
        ya like baker said... crosshairsize

-An in-game resolution changer would be very helpful, I hate setting things from the command line. Also a BPP changer would be nice. I don't have to put anything in my DP command line, but my Qrack one is looong.
        ya this is needed but requires a some codework to reload the renderer.

though I have created independant console/sbar resolutions on the fly..

-The mousewheel/mouseclicks don't do anything in the control changer. Just minor, but its annoying that I have to set them in the console.
        u mean u want mwheelup/down to scroll menu sliders?? or u want to bind them in the console? Both would be good...

-Need an option to put on default ID1 skyboxes/speed. I don't like the new skyboxes, they move too fast and don't look as "Quakey"
        r_skyscroll 0 = normal id sky, i didnt change the speed, only the bottom layer is transparent...
        r_skyscrollspeed set to 1, looks better, though.

-Wateralpha is weird. I'll turn it all the way down, and when I'm standing right near the bottom bridge in DM3, its just how I want it. However, when I go up to the top bridge, i can't see through it as good anymore.
        Set R_WATERALPHA_DISTANCE to 9999, as I have made wateralpha dependant on how far away u are from the surface. Like on toilet4.bsp if u are on the top the water is solid as u fall the water gradually gets more clear...

-The quad texture is weird looking. Has blue stripes across it ?
        ya actually a quad hud image got put in the texture folder

-The eyes in ring of shadows appear on the floor, instead of mid-air where they are supposed to be.
        hmm not on my end make sure u have a correct eyes.mdl

-i also don't like how it shows the player scores. Sometimes it doesn't show the top player whose winning like DP does, and I have to keep bringing up the rankings to see how many players there really are, and who is really winning.
        true a frag sort for sbar rank should be added...

Overall, Qrack is a nice engine, could use some polishing with some of these features added in...
        Sometimes i get sidetracked adding things and dont go back to clean up the leftover nuts and bolts...

I'll try to clean this up quickly and post an update...

on that subject of frikbots it would be cool to make a cax version to support frikbots for singleplayer games
        Last edited by R00k; 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I've made this a "sticky" thread so this information can be found easily.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Qrack really needs to have a longer list of things to tweak in its menus. The crosshairsize, the muzzleflashes, etc. DP has all of these things and much more so you dont have to do too much messing around with commands and such.

i spent a lil time today adding crosshair options to the setup config menu

I think I'm gonna have to revamp the menus also

Comment

nice

Maybe add an option to change the charset? I don't really like that one. I like the default quake better. It would be even cooler if you could have a list of charsets to pick from

Comment

Hey R00k, add VSYNC support!! I was about to use your engine full-time, but there was no vsync... I got a lot of tearing/ripping on my screen is the best way I can discribe it...

R00k, it it helps, I'm using a nVidia GeForce 6800XTreme, built by XFX. Using official drivers from XFX's website for my specific video card model, and vsync is forced ON in the control pannel, yet Qrack doesn't care.
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

nice

Maybe add an option to change the charset?
                  Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
                  Hey R00k, add VSYNC support!! I was about to use your engine full-time, but there was no vsync... I got a lot of tearing/ripping on my screen is the best way I can discribe it...

loadcharset is the command in Qrack to load a different charset or type loadcharset "" for the Quake charset

Qrack has had vid_vsync for a long time (2 years vid_vsync 0|1.)

Comment

Oh. Well I don't think Qrack is such a good idea anyway...
                    I was using DP and Peg was using Qrack while we were playing Rquake, and peg lost connection 3 or 4 times, I lost connection 0 times. Fix it R00k
                    e|------------------------0---------------
                    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                    A|---------------0------------------------
                    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

hehe i only lost connection once.. couse i was running a fairly large name animation at intermission.. not a big deal.. i never use it anyways

Comment

hehe

I'm not gonna argue that DarkPlaces isn't a better engine, nor that Lord Havoc isnt on top of his game. I will say that Qrack is just a engine that I'm coding for my personal use/learning. If it works for other players, great! If people have suggestions to add to it, i'll try to bring it. But, to say qrack isnt as good as darkplaces, i'd say you're correct. But it's good enough for what i need for my use. (i hope this doesn't sound snide, its not meant to be)

vid_vsync 1/0 toggles vsync. Make sure you have it set to "application control" in your drivers settings IF the in-game command doesn't work.

Comment

Wonderful Job

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                          hehe

I'm not gonna argue that DarkPlaces isn't a better engine, nor that Lord Havoc isnt on top of his game. I will say that Qrack is just a engine that I'm coding for my personal use/learning. If it works for other players, great! If people have suggestions to add to it, i'll try to bring it. But, to say qrack isnt as good as darkplaces, i'd say you're correct. But it's good enough for what i need for my use. (i hope this doesn't sound snide, its not meant to be)

vid_vsync 1/0 toggles vsync. Make sure you have it set to "application control" in your drivers settings IF the in-game command doesn't work.

What a WONDERFUL job you have done, Rook!

This is my first post here on this website, but let it be a post of appreciation. I really like Qrack and setting it up was a breeze. It looks so nice and colorful, yet the performance is fine. I can't say the same of DarkPlaces on my system, even when settings are 'original Quake'. But perhaps I overlooked something.

I also like the mapbrowser in Qrack. It's simple, but wouldn't it be great if all clients had that!

The only thing I'd like to see added is 5 mouse button support. I got a Logitech mx518 and don't use it's drivers. ProQuake recognizes the extra thumb mouse buttons fine, but Qrack does not. I'm no programmer, so I don't know if it's difficult to program, but it would be a great feature to have mouse4 & 5 added. Perhaps you could find out how it is done in ProQuake.

Comment

For someone reason when I use cl_truelightning "1" or any other number between 0.1 to 1 I get no "straight shaft" effect on my LG?

I'm running Qrack 1.85

Can anyone help me out?
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

We solved this via instant message, but im posting here to help others.
                              Recording/playing a demo will turn off truelightning. Theres a glitch where the demo looses where the player is aiming and thus it points to origin 0. A workaround was to force cl_truelightning to 0.

Comment

Working...
                              X