Argh: Quake internet connection address :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh: Quake internet connection address :(

I am using DSL right now, instead of cable and am currently not using a router.

I discovered something interesting, but very annoying.

Quake won't connect without using -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in my command line. Ever.

Furthermore, my ip address changes every time.

I start ProQuake without -ip and of course it wants to use the invalid 169.254.x.x ip address. Qrack will not work without the -ip address either, of course.

DarkPlaces can connect perfectly and so can Quakeworld. The ProQuake Launcher's usual workaround works fine; but I'm looking to make the ProQuake Launcher absolutely superceded in every way.

I'm in the process of tracking this down and I imagine it won't take too terribly long to deal with this.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Yah that was annoying when I was on DSL. I had to use Gunter's solution:

http://fvfonline.com/#play

My reply is probably superfluous (since I guess you're trying to integrate the solution into your ProQuake) but wth -- I'm feeling chatty.

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
      My reply is probably superfluous (since I guess you're trying to integrate the solution into your ProQuake) but wth -- I'm feeling chatty.
      Yeah, I want a Quake that works as expected 100% of the time. :d

Things like this really agitate me when I discover them.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

what does -ip do anyway?

Comment

Hmm odd, cause I've been using DSL for years now. In the past I had to use the -ip parameter so proQuake could see my addy. But since I got a linsys router and XP i havent had any problems. My router is setup to connect to my SBC account automatically so I dont have to use their 3rd party software.

here's how mine is setup:

maybe you should have used the PPP att: IP address instead "-ip 68.252.44.202"

and of course, DSL assigns ip addresses from a pool, so eachtime you bootup you will have a different address.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
            But since I got a linsys router and XP i havent had any problems.
            I know I could setup my router to enter the username and password and this problem would go away.

I'm looking at this from the point of view of an engine weakness for a 3rd party who has this problem and doesn't know the answer.

Comment

Gunter has something to say over at the FvF forums, suggestions and problems about version 3.95.

http://www.fvfonline.com/forum/viewt...=1649&start=15

Comment

do you have port 26000 open in your router? (it's probably a good idea to open up to port 26000-26008, since servers can have multiple ports, and 26008 is the highest I've ever seen)
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I guess his understanding of the issue was wrong, heh.... But maybe now that he's experiencing it first hand, he'll be able to fix it....
                  Well, I've never claimed to be a perfect person. I'm open minded, but I was wrong in my prior assessment with Gunter.

My mission is neutralize any b.s. than prevents people from being able to play Quake.

And yes, now that I'm experiencing this 3rd situation firsthand, I will be able to fix it. I knew of 2 situations where the default connecting was wrong, I am actually pretty happy to be able to experience this 3rd situation firsthand.

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
                    do you have port 26000 open in your router? (it's probably a good idea to open up to port 26000-26008, since servers can have multiple ports, and 26008 is the highest I've ever seen)
                    it was my understanding that when you specify for example port 26001 on shmack, it meant port 26001 on the server, not on the client. here you're saying it's actually on the client or on both the client and the server. is this true? can someone who knows more about networking than us plz comment

Comment

Working...
                    X