Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkplaces + HD remastering packs

Hello!

Darkplaces with rugel's ultra texture and model pack + dpwater fix is totally awesome and will be almost perfect with Quake Reforged's skins and other stuff, when it's finished.
    But there are still some things to fix or add.

-when i enable parallax mapping, texturemapping moves a little like this:

Without parallax it's ok (r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale 0):

With parallax textures are beautiful, but they are not exactly on their places(r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale 0.05):

Again:

scale 0.05:

Is there any way to fix this?

-it seems to be Darkplaces's bug or something: 3D fire models on the tourches are missing:

while they are still visable on other places:

There is a way to fix it with dpmod's content - add dpmod's sprite fire:

But these sprites are ugly, i love original Quake 3D fire. So, how can i bring it back to Darplaces's tourches?

-some powerups in DP are animated as in Quake (Armor) but other (weapons, keys, quad) do not move at all. Any way to fix?

Now suggestions:
    I love beautiful purple 2 layer animated skybox from original Quake, it's much better then new lifeless static high-res skyboxes for Quake. But with HD textures this low-res sky looks not as good:

Someone, who is good in 2D art and who loves Quake skybox not less then me - maybe you'll remaster sky textures, carefully saving original Quake's magic style?

Effects.
    Teleport textures in rugel's texturepak are 1.boring and they do not fit Quake. There should also be some transparent, animations pixel shader and particle effects like in old versions of Darkplaces or in tenebrae. There was the project of Quake remastering like Reforged - Deluxe Quake, i loved teleport morror exxects there:

Also, how about framebuffer distortions for explosions, fire, rocket and granade trails, flying nails and electrolight from the shaft? Would be nice! Should these questions go to Lord Havok, or anyone here with shader coding experience can add these effects to DP as just pk3 addon?

Thanks!

We're still forging our super guide to quake enhancements, eventually you'll find all the answers there.
    In the meantime:

-I know it appears bad in few spots but there's nothing we can do to correct offset

-fire torches: as Alfader said, we've found a solution but it doesn't seem your case. We'll take a look into this, otherwise we may create a more appealing fire sprite

-Unanimated powerups is not a problem per-se, because it depends from how the models are built, but I think we've found a fix!

-Ahhhhh, the original purple skies, beautiful uh?^
    Sorry, we already have an high res version, but skies are hard-coded and can't be changed with the only texture.

-Teleports: you're right, quite boring indeed. I hope to find the texture I did for quake3 back in the days, with a cool wave effect.
    You know what's cool? Having all these shader options Q3Map2 Shader Manual: Table of Contents

Quake Reforged
    Retexturing and Reskinning project for Quake, Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity

Downloads:
    SoA skins
    DoE skins pre-release

Comment

Thanks for the answers!

About tourches: this may be the issue of the remodelled tourch from DarkPlaces resources. So, one (but not the best) way to fix it is to find this new model in DarkPlaces files and remove it (I've tried to explore DP, but didn't find it quickly). But best solution is, of course, to fix the model.

Comment

Here on the Reforged's screenshot we see original tourch models with 3D fire:

So, how did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nergal View Post
          -I know it appears bad in few spots but there's nothing we can do to correct offset
          [/url]
          Yeah, thats where I got stuck with my textures.

Offset mappin would be agreat feature if we could acctually map it ... (I think that its doable when u design a model thou)

Comment

where do we download this?
            DAVEMAN

Comment

Originally posted by davemiester View Post
              where do we download this?
              What exactly do you mean?

Comment

nevermind just read the part "when its finished" lol
                DAVEMAN

Comment

@ davemiester

If you meant the "when its finished" note from BEEF34T3R in his first sentence, then I can tell you:

You can download everything you see in the screenshots already !

- DarkPlaces --> LordHavoc's DarkPlaces
                  - Rygel's High Res Textures (I recommend "High", not "Ultra") --> Rygel's 'High' hi-res texture pack
                  - Pretty water --> Last Version from My-Key v0.21 (from 2010-02-25): Inside3d :: View topic - Pretty water!
                  ........................ --> Or my updated / modified Pretty water (2010-07-16) Pretty water modified by Seven
                  - Quake Reforged skins (its still in development / not all skins are available) --> Quake Reforged

Remember to activate everything, that BEEF34T3R is talking about (via config.cfg):
                  - Parallax Mapping
                  - RT World / Shadows
                  - etc

@ BEEF34T3R

1) I use the torchlight sprite from DPmod and still have the polygon flames there.
                  Exactly like on the screen you showed in post #4. So the mistake must be on your side.
                  Be careful, which files you use from Rygel ! (Your issue sounds like avoid using his flame.mdl should do the trick)
                  2) Animation of Powerups has nothing to do with DarkPlaces.
                  The dont turn/spin, because Rygel didnt set the correct flag to them.
                  Please set the flag to "8" and they will turn.
                  Or delete Rygels models which dont turn (xxx.mdl) and use the original.
                  And they will turn again in DP.
                  3) To change the effects of explosions, etc (as you described), please use the effectinfo.txt.
                  A nice start to do it can be found here: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...beautiful.html

To both:
                  I must point out: Rygels Pack is much more than "only" High Res Textures !
                  So please be careful which files you use from his pack.
                  Not everything is fine tuned (example: The not spinning models)
                  If you have much time and want to optimize for best visuals:
                  Also try QRP Textures (including normalmaps / Parallax): :: Quake Retexturing Project ::
                  The normal textures are done by My-Key and are often more detailed than Rygels.
                  They have a lovely structure/surface, which makes sometimes the different...
                  Just compare them and find out.
                  I personally use about 60% QRP textures and 40% Rygels.

If you have further questions, I will be happy to help.

Best wishes,
                  Seven
                  Last edited by Seven; 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

@Seven: Why not share you set of textures/skins/models with us? I would love to try the fruits of your labour. 7-zip them and upload somewhere or share by torrent, in case it's too big.

Comment

Why should I do this ?

Many people told me these days (as feedback for my files):
                      Everything is personal/subjectiv in the world.

When I say: This looks Best. Another one says: This is crap.
                      Everybody has a different taste !

So when I upload my 1,4 GB Quake: It is NOT the best compilation.
                      It is the compilation, which looks Best in MY point of view.
                      And I have learned, that this is not the case for others.

So you have to find the Best compilation for yourself.
                      You can use my points from above as a guideline on your journey.
                      With textures you cannot go wrong: There are only QRP and Rygels available.
                      With models and skins (weapons, monsters, etc) there is a much much
                      bigger variation to choose from on the internet.
                      Not to mention the effects... (you can download mine as a start from the mentioned link above)

Best wishes,
                      Seven
                      Last edited by Seven; 07-30-2010, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Even if you could move the textures around on the existing architecture, via code somehow, you would still not be able to properly fit them.

Imagine a wall that is 40 units wide, or some other odd number. The texture on it is 64x64 pixels (in Quake, 1 unit of wall = 1 pixel, at least with the standard Quake textures). How are you going to fit it? You can move it around all you want, the wall is still too small for the texture. Some of the texture is going to get cut off.

You could of course scale them, but imagine a room where the brick texture has a different scale on some walls... it wouldn't match up either.

There are two ways to solve the texture alignment problem. Both are pretty insane:

1. Rebuild all maps from scratch and take the textures into account. Properly align all textures as you go. (You will have to start from scratch with most maps, since as I said above, trying to align 64 units of texture to 40 (or 22, or 10 units of wall doesn't magically work in a map editor either).

2. Measure out all walls in every map exactly, and take note which textures are on them etc. Probably also take screenshots of the entire game. Then create custom width and height textures that fit the existing architecture without misalignments. This is comparable to uvmapping the entire map, then drawing a custom skin for it. Have fun.

Option 1 is what Remake Quake does, btw.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

BEEF34T3R

I had the same problem with the flame.mdl, i downloader the pk3 opened it and remove the flame.mdl problem was fixed,

btw, i also downloaded the 2.7 Gb Ultra Package, anyone know what the system requirements are, when i load it it says it's missing a lot of mdl's, i have a 512 mb gfx card so that might be the problem, but im not sure. The 1gb package works fine though
                          Last edited by tuin; 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Hey. I've been updating my DarkPlaces install and I've ran into a problem with torchlights.

I have the holder model update working, but the flame itself is either:

A) old-style polygonal,
                            B) not there (I know how to fix this now, since I've extracted the pk3 that contained the broken flame.mdl and only use the packages I like),
                            C) the sprite effect kicks in, but so do some DPMod effects and settings I don't actually want (along with making my weapons do no damage).

Is there any way to be able to get whatever turns on the nice looking flames from progs.dat (if I enable this file, I get the pretty flames...) without the rest of the file? Or am I being thick and am missing something obvious here?

Cheers.
                            Last edited by Tecman; 08-24-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Seven, can you explain exactly what we must do to obtain rotating models? i hate that immobile Quad damage!!!
                              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

Working...
                              X