X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here are both of my sky textures for DarkPlaces, enjoy:
    sky1.tga
    sky4.tga

Spinvis: You are correct that it is possible to have specific sky textures for each map if you like but you do not need to add any sky1 subfolders or anything. Just place one of the above textures in, e.g., textures/e1m1. The same way as one must do to get the buggy textures in Quake to show up correctly. Btw I was the one discovering this "bug" back in May when I was trying out these textures for the first time in DP!

Tip: To get the sky textures to show up as in original Quake put the sky1.tga (purple) twice in the textures folder, both as sky1 and sky4. Then put the above sky4.tga (blue) in e1m1, e2m1, e3m1, e4m1 and dm3.

Seven: I have used Photoshop to join the two textures into a single 512x1024 texture.
    The left half part of the texture shall be the part containing transparency.
    I could probably write a little instruction if you need, don't have time right now though, let me know.
    – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
    – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

Thank you for your clarification and support Moon[Drunk].

Yes, I noticed that DarkPlaces shows the purple sky1 in E4M2 as well,
      but regarding to original ID1 bsp, this level has the blue sky4.

So you have to override the external sky in a textures subfolder to see the original skies.
      Just like you explained. I can confirm this Moon[Drunk].

Unfortunately I dont have Photoshop. I am no designer and this software is too expensive.
      I think that GIMP can do this job as well ?
      It is freeware, but quite hard to handle, if you are not experienced.

I wanted to create sky textures just like you did, with all the rest of Jeanks Hexen2 skies.
      I will try it with Gimp, maybe I can manage it...

Thank you a lot Moon[Drunk] for your help and time creating sky1 and sky4 for us.
      Seven

Comment

Seven, i cant run DP just now, so look on that test texture - that work with DP or not:

??????.?????
        Small jsHexen2 and retex project http://hexen2retex.narod.ru/

Comment

Moon[Drunk]: It works excellent, thanks a lot, and it looks great compared to the old original Quake skies, plus they are actually moving now compared to Rigels sky textures.

Thanks again Moon[Drunk]
          FPS Source Ports

Comment

er... copied the two sky pics into the appropriate folders but all I've got is a black sky on both.
            any ideas?

Comment

osjclatchford, you should copy only one of them, for example you go in to your textures folder, create a new folder -> start. Then copy only one sky it, in this case sky1 for start. Do the same for e1m1, create a new folder e1m1 and copy sky4 in it.

The overall structure should look something like this: QUAKE\ID1\textures\start & QUAKE\ID1\textures\e1m1

Do this for all the maps you want to replace the sky. Thats the way it worked for me.
              FPS Source Ports

Comment

sorry let me make that clear.
                did that. one sky per one map folder textures/start/sky1.tga etc...

but

without sky1.tga and sky4.tga in the texture folder = no change, just old sky's.

with sky1.tga and sky4.tga(sky1.tga renamed) in the texture folder = black sky, no texture...

with sky1.tga and sky4.tga in the texture folder = black sky, no texture...

so I tried to load skyboxes, just out of intrest... = still black sky's

cant help but think wtf?

swear to god i'm cursed...
                Last edited by osjclatchford; 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

@ osjclatchford / Spinvis

first of all, you could add as many sky textures in your subfolders as you like.
                  The engine will only look for the one, which is used in the bsp.
                  Example:
                  Put in textures/start sky1.tga, sky2.tga, sky3.tga, sky4.tga, sky273.tga, ...
                  The engine will take only the one with the name inside the start.bsp.
                  (it is "sky1" in start map)
                  I suggest using Moon[Drunk]´s hint (this way you dont have to create so many subfolders):
                  Tip: To get the sky textures to show up as in original Quake put the sky1.tga (purple) twice in the textures folder, both as sky1 and sky4. Then put the above sky4.tga (blue) in e1m1, e2m1, e3m1, e4m1 and dm3.

secondly: If you have a black screen, then your DP build is maybe too old.
                  Speaking: Moon[Drunk] found this bug in may and LH corrected it.
                  So you should not take the build from april.
                  Look for a newer build here.

@ Jeank
                  your sky has only one layer, because the right side is missing.
                  According to Moon[Drunk]´s sample, the lower layer (with alpha) is left
                  and the upper layer (without alpha) is on the right side.

Best wishes,
                  Seven
                  Last edited by Seven; 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

ok sorry dude but I have absolutely no Idea which one of those hundreds of files I was supposed to download...

Comment

... another reason for a black sky is maybe this cvar:
                      r_sky (default is 1)
                      If you set it to "0", sky will be black.

These cvars control the speed of layer 1 and layer 2:
                      r_skyscroll1 (default is 1)
                      r_skyscroll2 (default is 1)

Try this darkplacesengine20100831beta2.zip
                      Its not the latest, but the latest for all platforms.

Comment

r_sky is set firmly to 1

I'll try the update.
                        thanks

i'll report back later on...

update report:
                        what a numpty I am eh?
                        all down to me using an outdated dp engine!
                        that also explained why my effect.info looked like shite. (it doesn't now, but my fps sure does!)
                        with these sky's quake is almost complete perfection... just need to get hi-res s_light.spr + s_bubble.spr repacements now and then I'll be 100% satisfied, however this alone has bought me from like 80% satiisfation to 99% satisfation.

yay for seven! and yay for moon[drunk] and yay to everyone else too, YAY's all round!!!
                        Last edited by osjclatchford; 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Seven: I prepare for you suggested sky textures, they must work with DP:

??????.?????

Comment

Jeank,

thank you for your swift action.

All your skies work, thats not the problem. Both layers are moving.
                            The upper solid layer looks VERY good !

The problem is, that the lower alpha layer is too thick / tight / leakproof.
                            So you cannot look through it so well.
                            The transparency (alpha plain) must be raised, so that the beautiful upper layer is more visible.

It was a idea from myself to create more skies to choose from.
                            Now we know, that the lower layer must be VERY transparent, so that it gives
                            a better complete picture with the solid upper layer.

Our next try will be much better. I Know !

It is a shame, that I cannot use / dont have Photoshop...

Maybe the alpha layer from Moon[Drunk] compared with the other solid layers from jeank would work.
                            Moon[Drunk]´s alpha layer are very transparent.

At the moment, these skies from jeank look good already:
                            - eidolon
                            - meso6
                            - meso9
                            - tower (Moon[Drunk]´s sky4 alpha layer would fit this one exactly !)
                            - village2

As mentioned already. More transparency in alpha layer would be perfect.

Seven
                            Last edited by Seven; 09-16-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

So, that link to double risen transparency of sky textures:

??????.?????

Comment

Yes Jeank,

now we are talking

This is a great start for additional pretty moving skies indeed
                                Doubling the transparency of the alpha channel was a good idea.

Today I downloaded GIMP and studied the online manual.
                                Especially the "alpha channel" beginners guide
                                It sounds quite easy, so there is definitely more to come...
                                So dont leave your children unattended.

I uploaded your new skies to a more english speaking friendly site:
                                rapidshare.com (for those who dont like/understand the russian site narod.ru)
                                I deleted skies demo01, demo03 and keep4 from your pack,
                                because the alpha pic of these dont look good/fit at all.
                                The rest is really worth a look !

This is my favorite from Jeanks pack:
                                (seeing it moving is a must)

Kind Regards,
                                Seven

PS: I must thank Moon[Drunk] once again, for telling us that DP can handle "real" sky´s !
                                It is a small but significant enrichment.
                                Last edited by Seven; 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X