its an honor for me to help you

Please find a detailed description here,
    which I posted in another thread:
    http://quakeone.com/71757-post484.html

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

Welcome onboard Tecman

I dont quite understand what your problem is.

Maybe you want this:
      Use the Sprite-flames from dpmod ONLY (without using dpmod itself)

If this is what you want, you must extract the code for the Sprite-flame out of dpmod .qc files and create your new progs.dat.

I made this already, so you dont need to struggle with the code:
      klick me hard

In the zip file you find the source for my mini mod as well.
      Read readme.txt for details how to use it.

Tell me, if it works for you.

Have fun
      Seven
      Last edited by Seven; 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Seven, you are the MAN.

Works perfectly. This is the third time you've saved my behind (the first was Pretty DP Water Pack v 0.31, the second was your effectinfo.txt file).

Thank you.

Comment

Hi all. I want to ask you a question, Seven, I saw you have a deep knowledge of Quake modding, so if you have the patience to give me some explanations I would be you grateful...

At a certain point, in this discussion, you said:

1) I use the torchlight sprite from DPmod and still have the polygon flames there.
          Exactly like on the screen you showed in post #4. So the mistake must be on your side.
          Be careful, which files you use from Rygel ! (Your issue sounds like avoid using his flame.mdl should do the trick)

Well, I deleted the file "flame.mdl" from the progs directory, in the Rygel's pack, and Darkplaces displayed correctly all the Quake torches, including the ones without a holder. But, seeing that it's possible to combine the old-style polygon flame with the Dpmod-extracted fire sprite, I want to ask you: how?

I used your pack with the Dpmod sprite already extracted, ready to use in vanilla Darkplaces, and I really want to thank you for this... But I cannot see how can I make it work with the old-style Quake flame.

Thank you in advance, and excuse my English, I'm Italian (and, being an old-time gamer, Quake-addicted too )

Comment

Hello BrutalBeast90,

welcome aboard this wonderful forum.

Thank you for your confidence, but I really do NOT have a deep knowledge of Quake modding.
            Best address to find people who really have it, is: forums.inside3d.com.

I am just a person who likes to help and share my experience.
            Cause playing and setting up Quake with todays engines will bring you to some hurdles,
            and these hurdles are most of the time the same for all users.
            So why not help other people over those hurdles ?

Now back to your question:
            I must admit I dont understand what you mean.
            In one sentence you say everything is fine, in the next I read that something is still wrong...
            I suggest screenshots in this case. They say more than thousands words

I made these screenshots to show you the situation on my computer:
            1.) "small torchlights" always have the polygon + sprite, when using my mod and deleting Rygels flame.mdl

2.) "big torchlights" only have the sprite, when using my mod and deleting Rygels flame.mdl

Is this different in your Quake and you want to change it somehow ?
            If yes, please answer with a screenshot maybe.

Thank you,
            Seven

Comment

I finally made the Dpmod sprite flame, thank to your pack, work with the old-style polygon flame by combining them in the "id1" subdirectory. At first I extracted the Rygel's high texture pack in "id1", then I deleted the broken "flame.mdl" from the progs directory, and to conclude I copied your pack in "id1" and... I got it, now it works perfectly

Thank you a lot for your patience and your explanation, however.

P.S.: I also use your DP Pretty Water pack 0.31 and your modded effectinfo, and I have to say you are really THE MAN... Quake now is a feast for the eyes (I was considering to get the Quake Reforged skins, to complete the overhaul, but I saw the Ogre is not completed yet )

Comment

Seven, sorry to bother you again, but I have to ask you one more thing... Is there a way to implement the skyboxes in Darkplaces? With all the new high quality textures, the skies actually clash a bit with the rest ... Is there a way? And if so, there is an address where to find the files?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hello BrutalBeast90,

as far as I know it is not possible to bring other "moving" skies to DP.
                  The moving skies in Quake "sky1" and sky4" are hardcoded.
                  But I might be wrong.

If you want High Res Skyboxes in DP, they must be static.
                  Static skyboxes have 6 different files (for each direction 1).

You will find hundreds of skyboxes in the internet.
                  In the Hexen2 thread, golden_boy showed me this link for example:
                  Kothic Skyboxes
                  In the above link you will see previews from skyboxes on this site.
                  The skyboxes themselve (each with 6 files) are hosted here:
                  skies-kothic.zip

Here are samples (I just chose 3 randomly):

Original E4M2:

Sample1 in E4M2:

Sample2 in E4M2:

Sample3 in E4M2:

To load them in DarkPlaces:
                  1.) Create a subfolder in "id1" called"env"
                  2.) Put the 6 files for each skybox in there DIRECTLY (no additional subfolder)
                  3.) Load the skybox in-game via console command: loadsky purple
                  (in this case DarkPlaces looks for these 6 files in "env" folder:
                  purplebk.tga, purpledn.tga, purpleft.tga, purplelf.tga, purplert.tga, purpleup.tga)

(of course png or jpg formats are also possible)

My advice it to make a shortcut via config.cfg. Example:
                  bind F7 "loadsky purple"
                  bind F8 "loadsky space1"
                  ... etc

So you can change your skybox on the fly by just pressing the key you want.

Best wishes,
                  Seven
                  Last edited by Seven; 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Hint: You can replace the "moving" sky textures the same way as other textures in DP!
                    – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
                    – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

Originally posted by Moon[Drunk] View Post
                      Hint: You can replace the "moving" sky textures the same way as other textures in DP!
                      Can you please explain how? I've been trying and trying but it doesn't seem to work on my side. I created a new folder in textures, for examples start, then created a sky folder, and placed the skybox textures in it, but it doesn't load up automaticly.
                      FPS Source Ports

Comment

Originally posted by Spinvis View Post
                        Can you please explain how? I've been trying and trying but it doesn't seem to work on my side. I created a new folder in textures, for examples start, then created a sky folder, and placed the skybox textures in it, but it doesn't load up automaticly.
                        Sorry if I was a little vague but I wasn't referring to the skybox textures cause Seven already explained how to get them to work.

I was instead referring to:
                        Originally posted by Seven
                        as far as I know it is not possible to bring other "moving" skies to DP.
                        The moving skies in Quake "sky1" and sky4" are hardcoded.
                        But I might be wrong.
                        What I mean is that you can replace the original moving skies with replacement textures just as you can with other map textures.

Comment

Hello Moon[Drunk],

You write, that replacing external "moving" sky textures works similar to replacing
                          external (wall-) textures.
                          It is not that easy (compared to wall-textures).

But lets start one step after the other....

First, you have to check this list, to see which sky texture is used in the individual map you want to edit.
                          (sky1 or sky4 in ID1 maps; or even sky10 or sky_tele in Mission pack maps)

This is sky1 (extracted from ID1 bsp):

This is sky4 (extracted from ID1 bsp):

Now, lets say you want to replace "sky1":
                          You cannot simply rename any beautiful sky-picture you have to "sky1.jpg"
                          and place it in your textures folder.
                          DarkPlaces will NOT load it.
                          First of all, the dimension of the new sky-picture you want to have must be 2:1.
                          (example: 1024:512 pixel)
                          Then Darkplaces WILL load it.
                          But it looks ugly, because only a very small part/cutout of it will be visible.

And its still only one layer.
                          If you want to have 2 layers like the originals, it starts getting tricky.
                          You have to use alpha channels and split it in 2 halfs.
                          Left and right different pictures (like originals).

Next extremely tricky thing is: The borders will always be visible.
                          Its like building a mosaic with only 1 tile. left border must match to right border.
                          And upper border must match to lower border.

I made a screenshot to show you the effect (when the tile doesnt look "endless"):

[EDITED]
                          Once you found the solution of making the "tile" looking endless (in the sky),
                          it is INDEED possible to have "moving" High Res Textures in DP.
                          Thanks to Moon[Drunk] !
                          [/EDITED]

Best wishes,
                          Seven

PS: BrutalBeast90, check your inbox, I have a gift for you
                          Last edited by Seven; 09-14-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Try this!

Comment

Thank you Moon[Drunk],

about half an hour ago I found your tga (but seperated in 2 files: alpha and solid) in your QRP Texture Pack as well.
                              I must really learn to post more slowly and search more thoroughly....

My problem is, that I cannot join these 2 files without losing the alpha channel.
                              So I have a nice look, but only one layer.

Which program did you use for joining ?

In the meantime I found around 10 more High Resolution skies (from Jeanks Hexen2 Textures),
                              but here I have the same problem:
                              They look nice when I join them, but only one layer...

For this last help I would be very thankful.
                              I will then create those 1024*512 moving skies and will upload them to this forum,
                              so that everyone have a benfit from your wisdom Moon[Drunk].

Thank you again for your patience.
                              Seven

PS: Maybe some more words in how to use the program (a little 3 or 4 step tutorial ?)
                              Last edited by Seven; 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Btw, the reason i asked if it was possible and how to was the following change in Darkplaces:

r10193 | havoc | 2010-05-11 14:06:21 -0700 (Tue, 11 May 2010) | 3 lines
                                Changed paths:
                                M /trunk/darkplaces/model_brush.c

fix loading of q1bsp sky replacement textures to also check
                                textures/mapname/sky4 and such
                                To me the change sounds that if you make a folder in your textures folder, for example start, and in start another folder, sky1 for example, and place the sky textures in it, it will automaticly load sky1 textures.

Anyway, i can't figure out how to do it correctly, so maybe you do need to join two layers with alpha channels like Seven mentioned. Anybody that can shed some more light on this change in Darkplaces and how to use it? It could be easier to use then joining two textures with alpha channels together.
                                FPS Source Ports

Comment

Working...
                                X