ProQuake 4.43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProQuake 4.43

Download: ProQuake 4.43 - 1.5 MB (Source)

This may be the last new version of ProQuake in a while. But it appears to be very solid.

Assuming no one finds a horrible bug, this version is mountains superior to past releases performance-wise.

The lastest boost: dx8pro is MUCH, MUCH faster. If you can't use glpro due to graphics drivers, dx8pro is nearly as fast now. And, to max your frames per second it now defaults to vertical sync off in fullscreen mode (you can enable vertical sync by using -vsync).

And due to the massive frames per second jump in glpro in the previous version [Polarite gained +500 fps, Lennox 600 (!)], there is virtually no reason to use -gamma in the command line ever again.

I didn't have time to add contrast to the menu, it works in wqpro and glpro and dx8pro. I really need to get that into the menu. A setting like contrast 1.4 or 2 is a good setting, but contrast 1 is the default.

Overbright support is back in as a cvar "gl_overbright 1" to enable, set to zero to disable.

Overbright Support

For other changes, you can see the project site or read the readme in the download. I spent a lot of time on "quality control" and trying refine code and kill historical Quake bugs like the starting demos not continuing to the next demo while the menu is up.

Special thanks to MH who provided some very advanced code that gave me a lot of motivation to try to attack a large list of things that seemed rather formidable to work on. And of course R00k who always finds obscure things wrong with Quake and shares the fix with me.

And that's it for a while ...
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    Download: ProQuake 4.43 - 1.5 MB (Source)

This may be the last new version of ProQuake in a while. But it appears to be very solid.

Assuming no one finds a horrible bug, this version is mountains superior to past releases performance-wise.

The lastest boost: dx8pro is MUCH, MUCH faster. If you can't use glpro due to graphics drivers, dx8pro is nearly as fast now. And, to max your frames per second it now defaults to vertical sync off in fullscreen mode (you can enable vertical sync by using -vsync).

And due to the massive frames per second jump in glpro in the previous version [Polarite gained +500 fps, Lennox 600 (!)], there is virtually no reason to use -gamma in the command line ever again.

I didn't have time to add contrast to the menu, it works in wqpro and glpro and dx8pro. I really need to get that into the menu. A setting like contrast 1.4 or 2 is a good setting, but contrast 1 is the default.

Overbright support is back in as a cvar "gl_overbright 1" to enable, set to zero to disable.

Overbright Support

For other changes, you can see the project site or read the readme in the download. I spent a lot of time on "quality control" and trying refine code and kill historical Quake bugs like the starting demos not continuing to the next demo while the menu is up.

Special thanks to MH who provided some very advanced code that gave me a lot of motivation to try to attack a large list of things that seemed rather formidable to work on. And of course R00k who always finds obscure things wrong with Quake and shares the fix with me.

And that's it for a while ...
    i didnt gain 600 fps lol... thats simply what i get averages around now.

Comment

Originally posted by lennox View Post
      party pooper.
      Originally posted by Baker
      Why does the biggest cry baby in the forums use an Arnold Schwarzenegger avatar? Arnold never cries like a little girl like how you have cried in every Kimp thread.

Comment

Hmm,

gl_overbright isnt a command in the glPro443.exe, though i see the cvar in the source.
        The preprocessor definition SUPPORTS_GL_OVERBRIGHTS isn't defined?

Also, when i start it up i get a WARNING: multitexture extensions not found...
        though im using a geforce 8800gtx

Code:
        	if (!strstr(gl_extensions, "GL_SGIS_multitexture ")) {
        		Con_Warning ("Multitexture extension not found\n");
        		return;
        	}
        the gl_SGIS_multitexture is outdated and should be replaced with GL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE, which you know but overlooked in a variant update... I can remember back in the day doing a find/replace SGIS -> ARB across the project.

Multitexture support, will give a performance BOOST
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that too. I reckon gl_overbright just wasn't registered. I guess this means we're gonna get a 4.44!
          IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

awesome !
              What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

gl_fullbright works in 4.36.. i'm not downloading 4.43 until someone says they promise i will get like 2000 fps... or it will make my 50 ping a 20 ping... when is 4.44 due out?
                "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

Yeah, you only gained +420 frames per second. My bad.

Originally posted by rev View Post
                  gl_fullbright works in 4.36.. i'm not downloading 4.43 until someone says they promise i will get like 2000 fps... or it will make my 50 ping a 20 ping... when is 4.44 due out?
                  If I can find 30-40 minutes of time, hopefully I can fit in a quick release today.

gl_fullbright makes textures that WinQuake shows as, in particular, glowing red show up even in the dark at full intensity. On e1m1, 2 examples are the crosshair you shoot to get the double barrel closet "secret" to open and the 3 button posts in the slime room.

Overbright lighting washes out the lighting. I'll post some screenshots when the opportunity presents itself. Often hard to notice in most of the id1 maps without knowing what to look for, but on some custom maps becomes real obvious.

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  the gl_SGIS_multitexture is outdated and should be replaced with GL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE, which you know but overlooked in a variant update...
                  Yeah, but the main reason you even noticed that is that I have better startup messages explaining what is going is (I noticed FitzQuake 0.85, metlslime added some really good startup messages + made a Con_Warning to bronze it.) Past ProQuake (or GLQuake) versions didn't say "we didn't find your multitexture", only said if it did.

And usually never did, and if it did resulted in a "my textures are all white" help post in the forums as gl_texsort 0 doesn't actually work in GLQuake nor GL ProQuake.

I plan on switching it, but when I do I want to review everything with a fine tooth comb and examine JoeQuake/Qrack and every other engine carefully to compare and contrast code.

I noticed that my "Intel Display Adapter" detector doesn't have a "\n". I'm going to review all my code to look for any missing "\n"s. And review every Sys_Error to ensure that they don't.

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                  Yeah, I noticed that too. I reckon gl_overbright just wasn't registered. I guess this means we're gonna get a 4.44!
                  Apparently.

I'm using some "not mine" laptop at the moment and I noticed this in particular. glpro443 is not detecting swap control, but FitzQuake 0.85 is.

FitzQuake 0.85 says ... FOUND: WGL_EXT_swap_control. For some reason, I'm not detecting it.

So there is something for me to quickly review and put into the update as well.

I had want to test glpro443 vs. dx8pro on this machine for fun, but that can't happen as the glpro443 is capped at the refresh rate.

(Notes to self: review ALT-ENTER, dxpro8 seems to stop acknowledging space and enter until those keys are pressed again -- determine if my fault or no. Check glpro out too, which seems to sometimes switch display mode so fast as do ALT-ENTER twice in a row.)

Some future goals ...

1. Add map, demos, gamedir completion and finding. Make engine tutorial of platform neutral implementation of such. No engine shouldn't have that.

2. Decrapify view blends and bright/contrast handling to get ONE SINGLE WAY of doing it that makes sense for the 5 different ways it can be done.

3. Decrapify keyboard code. I can't stand how it is written and makes it real hard to merge different operating systems keys.c into one file.

4. Plus all those other goals I've listed in the past. No, I have forgotten none of them.

5. Get the console background and sbar reloaded on gamedir change.

6. Decrapify how GLQuake and WinQuake handle video modes. I need ONE reliable way of knowing what mode I am in. This is apparent in dx8pro8 where I have to trust the vid_fullscreen cvar at the moment because traditional ways of detecting windowed versus fullscreen fail me.

7. Either make the sbar always update or at least ensure it always updates after every video mode switch and upon startup.

8. My R_Clear, I don't know how my handling of gl_clear became such a kludge but that needs some attention. Obviously, when I implemented hardware gamma back 3.9x I clearly wasn't fully understanding what that was doing.
                  Last edited by Baker; 07-17-2010, 03:31 AM.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

1. Add map, demos, gamedir completion and finding. Make engine tutorial of platform neutral implementation of such. No engine shouldn't have that.
                    It's actually very difficult to move back to an engine that doesn't have it when you're used to one that does. Savegames too please!

Comment

dx8pro alt-tab?

Tried out the dx8pro in windowed mode and when I alt-tab away and back, the video mode gets squashed down into a tiny window... plus the window decorations stay in the middle of my screen but the actual window gets pushed to the upper left corner! I cannot seem to change the video mode after that.

Normally I use glpro but I like trying out your different releases. FWIW

Comment

Yeah, you only gained +420 frames per second. My bad.

If I can find 30-40 minutes of time, hopefully I can fit in a quick release today.

gl_fullbright makes textures that WinQuake shows as, in particular, glowing red show up even in the dark at full intensity. On e1m1, 2 examples are the crosshair you shoot to get the double barrel closet "secret" to open and the 3 button posts in the slime room.

Overbright lighting washes out the lighting. I'll post some screenshots when the opportunity presents itself. Often hard to notice in most of the id1 maps without knowing what to look for, but on some custom maps becomes real obvious.

Yeah, but the main reason you even noticed that is that I have better startup messages explaining what is going is (I noticed FitzQuake 0.85, metlslime added some really good startup messages + made a Con_Warning to bronze it.) Past ProQuake (or GLQuake) versions didn't say "we didn't find your multitexture", only said if it did.

And usually never did, and if it did resulted in a "my textures are all white" help post in the forums as gl_texsort 0 doesn't actually work in GLQuake nor GL ProQuake.

I plan on switching it, but when I do I want to review everything with a fine tooth comb and examine JoeQuake/Qrack and every other engine carefully to compare and contrast code.

I noticed that my "Intel Display Adapter" detector doesn't have a "\n". I'm going to review all my code to look for any missing "\n"s. And review every Sys_Error to ensure that they don't.

Apparently.

I'm using some "not mine" laptop at the moment and I noticed this in particular. glpro443 is not detecting swap control, but FitzQuake 0.85 is.

FitzQuake 0.85 says ... FOUND: WGL_EXT_swap_control. For some reason, I'm not detecting it.

So there is something for me to quickly review and put into the update as well.

I had want to test glpro443 vs. dx8pro on this machine for fun, but that can't happen as the glpro443 is capped at the refresh rate.

(Notes to self: review ALT-ENTER, dxpro8 seems to stop acknowledging space and enter until those keys are pressed again -- determine if my fault or no. Check glpro out too, which seems to sometimes switch display mode so fast as do ALT-ENTER twice in a row.)

Some future goals ...

2. Decrapify view blends and bright/contrast handling to get ONE SINGLE WAY of doing it that makes sense for the 5 different ways it can be done.

3. Decrapify keyboard code. I can't stand how it is written and makes it real hard to merge different operating systems keys.c into one file.

4. Plus all those other goals I've listed in the past. No, I have forgotten none of them.

5. Get the console background and sbar reloaded on gamedir change.

6. Decrapify how GLQuake and WinQuake handle video modes. I need ONE reliable way of knowing what mode I am in. This is apparent in dx8pro8 where I have to trust the vid_fullscreen cvar at the moment because traditional ways of detecting windowed versus fullscreen fail me.

7. Either make the sbar always update or at least ensure it always updates after every video mode switch and upon startup.

8. My R_Clear, I don't know how my handling of gl_clear became such a kludge but that needs some attention. Obviously, when I implemented hardware gamma back 3.9x I clearly wasn't fully understanding what that was doing.
                        wasnt complaining just wanted to make sure everyone knew lol. if my laptop had a better video card i may have gained 600+ fps, i only have a radeon 3200hd though.

Comment

Originally posted by oldendirt View Post
                          Tried out the dx8pro in windowed mode and when I alt-tab away and back, the video mode gets squashed down into a tiny window... plus the window decorations stay in the middle of my screen but the actual window gets pushed to the upper left corner! I cannot seem to change the video mode after that.

Normally I use glpro but I like trying out your different releases. FWIW
                          Useful information! You've found an interesting problem.

If dx8pro is started with -window, all is good with windowed mode and ALT-TAB.

Otherwise ... it seems to both minimize it and set it to 0,0 like you'd expect a fullscreen to be.

I've discovered the traditional way of detecting the current fullscreen or windowed state isn't reliable with the dx8 wrapper as-is or maybe this is somehow the fault of my implementation of it.

Anyway, I'll examine this further and see why it is doing it this way and how I can change it.

wasnt complaining just wanted to make sure everyone knew lol. if my laptop had a better video card i may have gained 600+ fps, i only have a radeon 3200hd though.
                          Eh? The fault was on me. Getting the facts straight is important. I had the 600 number stuck in my head and I didn't re-check the thread to verify.

[Version 4.44 coming in a few minutes ...]

Comment

Download: ProQuake 4.44 - 1.5 MB (Source)

New in 4.44

1. gl_overbright works now. Sorry, guys for that not being active somehow in 4.43.
                            2. d3dpro has contrast control now. Type "contrast 2" in console for example, 1 is the default. Now all Windows builds of ProQuake have contrast control.
                            3. Version command now prints full info like when someone says "q_version" on a server. Probably only I care as I can't visually tell the difference between dx8 and GL and sometimes forget what exe I am running.

And ...

If you have an Intel Display Adapter ... you now will have vsync control if you didn't before in all likelihood. Added a check for the extension "GL_WIN_swap_hint" which is the only way of detecting swap control with gl extensions for at least some Intel display adapters.

Comment

4.45 anyone?

Actually restarting the map was all that was needed.
                              (and yeah, it said that in the readme. and yeah, i'm always complaining about people not reading readmes. so shoot me. )

Comment

Working...
                              X