Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Frost - I advised you of another way because I didn't know about this cvar. This is a much better fix than the .ent way, because it makes the originals appear as opposed to cloning them. You should definitely use Sevens way.

Methinks Seven knows waaaaaay too much about DP..

Future Seven post:

How to do your taxes + groceries + bills in DP via autoexec.cfg

____

@Baker - all I was saying is that how he said it was funny. Really, the engine, author and reality were completely irrelevant. It was just funny. You follow me around making everything I say into some damn point. Stop, it's that simple... just stop. I don't do that garbage to you, I never have and you never stop. You aren't accomplishing anything positive, I can promise you that. You quote me so much I'm about to change my name to Benjamin Franklin.

Allow me to help you. The next time you want to troll me, right before you are about to hit the reply button, stop for just one little second and realize that ...you don't care, your infinite wisdom and superior education can be used for things of more value.

Tadaa'

_______

How should I know and what is so funny about it?
    I'm sure I read it with a different inflection than that which you wrote it in and that inflection implied that you WILL be coming back and you WILL be reporting some stuff {hands on hips}. Like:

"I'm watching you and your lil engine too" {leering}

that was funny to me, even though I know that is not how you meant it.

__

This is crazy, I have never had to explain one sentence so much in my life. This is why I don't post too much anymore. The most simple thing turns into a stress fest. I can't go HahHah without there being some psychological dissertation needing to be presented and argued. I must be like the most important and powerful person on Earth, cause EVERY FUCKING THING I say is put under a microscope. Maybe I should erase all of this before someone comes to explain to me how you can't use an autoexec to make a calculator in darkplaces, cause I was obviously 100% serious.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      This is why I don't post too much anymore. The most simple thing turns into a stress fest. I can't go HahHah without there being some psychological dissertation needing to be presented and argued.
      It wasn't my intent to interfere with your forum enjoyment. I'll shall change my forum habits accordingly, because that wasn't my goal.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mom View Post
        Recently I did a joke that Qrack was updating with a next generation engine... and I did it to make you "imagine" it was possible.
        Mark, you remind me of an exercise bike with this video stuff.

You keep spinning the pedals of the bike, faster and faster. Convinced that if you do it hard enough, the bike will move.

But it is exercise bike, it isn't going to move. So one can only assume you like to make videos, and if that is what you enjoy I'm glad you like it.

Add: I mean you are good are making videos, I guess I don't see what end goal you think you are trying to reach and if you have one, I'm not sure a video is the "missing link" that allows you attain whatever this goal is. But don't let this deter you from making more videos, you seem to be getting very good at them (except the music is mighty loud, in my humble opinion --- music should be a subtle additive to a video, not blaring out and distracting from the content of the video. One opinion, maybe even wrong ).
        Last edited by Baker; 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Hello LordHavoc,

The pointcontents checks do not work anymore for the sky.
          I am not sure for the other liquids...

The weapon projectiles missile and nails do not follow this code anmyore:
          if (pointcontents(self.origin) == CONTENT_SKY)
          {
          remove(self);
          return;
          }
          They spawn the TE_ particles (what they should not do) and do not get removed.

Anyhow, they follow the regular code and will be removed in BecomeExplosion (); (for missile) and the last remove(self); (for nails).

It would be nice if you could look into it, as it has quite a big impact on mods, which have to use these pointcontents checks.

Thank you.
          Seven

Comment

seven, you're sure that's not the old alpha qbsp bug?
            specifically, start.bsp and various other maps were compiled with a buggy qbsp that considers sky brushes to be CONTENT_SOLID and not sky.
            thus pointcontents doesn't work to determine when something impacted in sky, because it impacts *on* the sky and is thus in a CONTENT_EMPTY area instead.
            check it in a different engine if you want to verify that (any mod).
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Spikes right Seven, content_sky was never active because of solid skies. If you really wanna make your SMC mod a complete blowout, find Killpixel, and I think he has recompled most the ID maps to have non-solid skies, plus he has fixed other problems with the maps. Then release SMC with the new updated maps, and you can code in new stuff to work with the new skies. Might be an interesting challenge.

Comment

Hello Spike and Cobalt,

Ahhh, I see.
                So if I understand this right, due to the buggy qbsp in all official Quake maps, the rocket´s and nail´s touch functions do not work as they should concerning the sky.

I just tested fan-made-maps from newer times and they do not show this behaviour.
                So we can blame ID

Nevertheless, the fact that the skies are solid in ID maps, causes issues with some mods.
                The "small mod compilation" has a workaround for this issue.

Below this *useless* code:
                Code:
                	if (pointcontents(self.origin) == CONTENT_SKY)
                	{
                		remove(self);
                		return;
                	}
                I added this:
                Code:
                	local float surfacenum;
                	local string tex;
                	surfacenum = getsurfacenearpoint(world, self.origin);
                	if (surfacenum >= 0)
                	{
                		tex = getsurfacetexture(world, surfacenum);
                		if ((tex == "sky1") || (tex == "sky4") || (tex == "sky10") || (tex == "sky_tele"))
                		{
                			remove(self);
                			return;
                		}
                	}

That works robust and covers the ID maps.
                When playing fan-made-maps, the original remove code works as it should due to not solid skies.

Thank you again for explaining me the buggy qbsp issue.

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

Issues with FredrickH's Shambler

While Andrew Joll's shambler seems to work just fine I'm having a hard time getting FredrickH's model to work. The animations don't play at all, he just floats around in a T-pose or sometimes appears very shaky. If texture compression is turned on (i never enable this since it caused loads of problems but I think this is worth noting) the animations play but I experience severe fps drop.

Comment

Hello Poisonheadcrab,

The shambler model from ~FredrikH is a .psk (Unreal model format) renamed to .mdl.
                    Darkplaces supports this format.
                    But if you read the console warnings, when using this shambler model replacement, you will see why it brings issues.
                    I did not have issues when using this replacment (just tested it with DP build 20130709 w/ and wo/ texture compression), but I do not like this replacement aynway.

I once converted it into .md3 model (you can do this with Milkshape with no issues) when it came out in 2010. With .md3 format you will most probably not have any issues in-game with it.
                    This format is also supported by many other Q1 engines.

Good luck,
                    Seven

Comment

• Trouble with Moondrunks animated water

Though I prefer the dp pretty water add-on moondrunk's works better with scourge of armagon in levels with bobbing water; fps doesn't plummet as severely. Although with moondrunks I run into other problems; It looks decent overall but the water acts kind of strange. If I look at it from one angle it looks fine but at another angle the water just turns into sky texture.

Comment

• Sounds like you may need to use r_novis 1, if you do not have watervis'd maps for that pack.

The water mod may be using transparent textures and thus the engine's disabling of the r_wateralpha cvar is not enough to make it render okay without watervis'd maps, r_novis 1 works around this (at an fps loss).

Comment

• Hey there. New to the forums. I've been running through Quake 1 and the mission packs using Dark Places and Epsilon and just hit a bump in the road. I don't know if this is an error with DP or not, but in MP2: r1m5, the shambler that spawns after hitting the last switch never shows up as well as the door to the exit not opening. Is there any way around this?

Comment

• @frank
                            hmm ive never heard of this problem, but it might be related to the same problem people have been having lately with the new DP builds
                            Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                            When im playing a mod and things are not working i make a text file called autoexec.cfg and but this in it from the smc...

sv_gameplayfix_upwardvelocityclearsongroundflag "1" // since Darkplaces build 2013-03-01 ALL "gameplayfix"-cvars are disabled by default, which will lead to issues. So we have to enable it again...
                            sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox "1" // since Darkplaces build 2013-03-01 ALL "gameplayfix"-cvars are disabled by default, which will lead to issues. So we have to enable it again...
                            sv_gameplayfix_droptofloorstartsolid "1" // since Darkplaces build 2013-03-01 ALL "gameplayfix"-cvars are disabled by default, which will lead to issues. So we have to enable it again...
                            those cvars are by default disabled in the latest DP builds, which causes a lot of issues with items not showing up and such.

so try adding them to your autoexec.cfg and see if that fixes the problem
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I've been using Darkplaces for MacOSX and it has been working great. For some reason, when I open it now, it freezes on the loading screen and the only way I can get out of it is to hard-restart my computer. I haven't done anything significant to my computer, so I don't know why it suddenly can't load.

I deleted Darkplaces, downloaded it again, reinstalled it, and it still happens. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can solve this?

Comment

• A new beta has been released, which plays very good so far. Also performance-wise. It looks like a keeper for me.
                                Thank you LordHavoc

Comment

Working...
                                X