This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by prizeonex View Post
    I've been using Darkplaces for MacOSX and it has been working great. For some reason, when I open it now, it freezes on the loading screen and the only way I can get out of it is to hard-restart my computer. I haven't done anything significant to my computer, so I don't know why it suddenly can't load.

I deleted Darkplaces, downloaded it again, reinstalled it, and it still happens. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can solve this?
    You can try going into your home folder and then into Library/Application Support and renaming the darkplaces folder to see if it is a configuration issue - the configuration is not part of the .app so reinstalling it won't lose your settings, but maybe this issue is related to your settings?

That said it sounds like a much more serious issue than just darkplaces being affected.

Comment

• *Models with alpha channel texture drawed with bad normals*
      -The same model using a texture with alpha channel is drawed incorrectly. If the texture is opaque in the areas UV mapped, it is drawed not transparent but in some faces inverted (like if the normals was inverted), drawing it above other faces.
      -Reeplace the texture of a model for one with alpha channel.
      -I tested it with models made with Blender using the script mdl exporter (io_mesh_qfmdl-0.7.2). The texture inside the mdl file is working OK but it is not truecolor (it is some palleted I guess just as mdl expect). Using any external texture (png or tga) with alpha channel to override the internal mdl texture (using really the same file that I was using in Blender as texture, in Blender it shows correctly) produces the "bug".

Notes:
      Maybe the mdl exporter is exporting the normals incorrectly. Maybe it only is present with transparent background (I will test what happens if I use a texture with alpha channel but full opaque background).

Comment

• Hello anyeos,

I am not LordHavoc, but I want to *try* to help.
        First of all, I do not fully understand your post.
        What I understand is, that you have weird behaviour when using external diffuse + normal textures for your models in DarkPlaces.

This topic has been discussed several times at quakeone.
        It is based on the alpha layer in the normal texture.

Rygel´s compilation for example used alpha layer in almost all of his model replacement normal textures. That is why they look wrong when using the offsetmapping feature in DP.
        Also osjclatchford faced this issue in his model replacement normals.

Here are some examples of how an alpha layer in the normal texture can look like:
        with / without

Tip:
        To see the difference easier, make a key-binding with "parallax mapping on" and
        make a key-binding with "parallax mapping off".
        Stand in front of the object and press the keys alternating.
        You will then directly see the effect of your normal texture in-game.

During that time, My-Key wrote a possible way to delete an alpha layer of a texture:
        click

If this is the issue that you are facing, maybe this info helps you somehow.
        If not, I am sorry that I do not fully understand your post. Hopefully somebody else can help you better.

Best of luck.

Comment

• Thank you very much for your help but I discovered the "error".
          It happens when I use alpha in the skin.

For example: We have a torch model, so the fire must be some translucent but the rest of the torch is opaque. Well, when I use alpha channel in the skin, the fire shows correctly (I use gimp for example to make it translucent), but the opaque torch (full solid color) in some angles draw the backside over the frontside (like EF_DOUBLESIDED).

I guess it happens only when some alpha is present outside the mapped (UV mapped) areas. So I must use always opaque background for the unmapped areas? I guess.

I am not sure right now if it is present always using the alpha channel regardles of anything else or if it is pressent only when I put by mistake some alpha in the unmapped areas of the skin.

But what is clear is that it is related with the alpha channel of the skin.

And not, I am not talking about the normal map, I am talking about the standard (diffuse I guess) skin, no glow, no gloss, no normal, nothing more.

I talk about the normals of the triangles, that I guess are used to determine the side that must be drawn/shown to the viewer.

But the "bug" is like putting the effect EF_DOUBLESIDED. That maybe give you a better idea.

Comment

• Hello anyeos,

Thank you for your additional description, now I have understood the issue.

Yes, as soon as you make the diffuse texture transparent (also only a small part of it), the "opaque" parts/areas of it will become slightly transparent in-game too.

I am not an experienced person, but I think there are at least 2 solutions for this:

1.) Use a .md3 model, with 2 different model parts/textures
            One will be the model part which shall be totally opaque (with its own texture)
            The other will be the transparent one (with its own texture)

2.) Use any .mdx model format you want + a shader.
            You can for example use the original .mdl model and make your replacement texture for it partialy transparent.
            Then add a shader which only draws the parts of the diffuse textures, with a certain value of transparency or less/more.

Something like this:
            Code:
            progs/soldier.mdl_0
            {
                 // cull disable		// add this if you want to look "INSIDE" the soldier (with his back skin drawn !!)
                    {
                            map progs/soldier.mdl_0.tga
            		alphafunc GE128
            	        rgbGen vertex
                    }
            dpshadow
            }
            GE128 means that only parts of the texture with greater alpha values will be drawn.
            There is also LT128 which draws only smaller alpha values.

Be aware, that a hard limit means, there is now 'fluent' alpha possible (for example from fully opaque to fully transparent). For this you must use alpha blending.

Nice Q3A shader descriptions can be found here or here for example. There are of course also others.

Best of luck,
            Seven

PS: I made some quick screenshots with the above mentioned and this test skin:
            (I simply made a hole into the soldiers chest)

Without shader (complete texture becomes slightly transparent):

With shader:

With shader + cull disabled keyword (you can see the "inside" (= backside) of the model through the hole):

Be also aware, that as soon as a texture is transparent, its model will not cast shadows anymore ! You have to use the dpshadow keyword to cast shadows again:

Comment

• erlier while testing a buzzsaw model i am making for ROGUE. i stumbled across a bug

in any builds after the 20130304beta1 build the buzzsaws in the second mission-pack are broken.
              they dont move back and forth across the path set for them but instead stay at the start-position, and the animation of the model appears broken too.

ive already tried enabling all of the 'sv_gameplayfix' vars that have been disabled in the newer2014 builds, but the buzzsaws were still broken

any builds later then 20130304:
              [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn0A9aQ7MRo[/ame]

builds from 20130304 and before:
              [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29r8g_doX2U[/ame]

in addition to this post ive also sent an email to lordhavoc himself about the issue.
              hope he will fix this bug soon!
              Last edited by talisa; 06-12-2014, 03:55 AM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• thanx for the QC-fix seven

you made mistake though in the ent-file for R2M7.
                  you made the 3 buzzsaws move simulataneously back and forth
                  did a quick edit to the ent-file so that the buzzsaws once again move in the pattern they should be moving in

thanx again lots for the QC-fix for this issue
                  really bugged me that the buzzsaws were broken before

EDIT: whoops, added the wrong ent-file to post. fixed now!
                  Attached Files
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• On the subject of DoE bugs, the super wrath/overlord doesn't deal any damage when his body explodes, nor does the explosion play any sound. Don't know if this is a recent DP engine bug, but it is a bug nonetheless.
                    Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• @pringles
                      about doing damage:
                      it doesnt do any damage either in stock quake.
                      i tested it with fitzquake engine with stock quake and it didnt hurt me then either
                      so this is no bug, its not supposed to hurt the player

about sound:
                      i tested and it does in stock quake with 2014DP build, so its not engine-related.

i did however notice that when playing with the SMC there indeed was no sound when the overlord exploded.
                      you should report this bug to seven and post about the bug in the official SMC-thread: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...mpilation.html

Comment

• Interesting. I remember playing the original DoE without any modifications way back in the day, and the overlord did in fact deal damage on death. MP2 is a very buggy expansion for reasons I still can't imagine to this day. But anyway, I paid a visit to the Quake Wiki's article on the overlord, and here's what it says:

"Attack Damage

(6-9) Wrath ball
                        (21-29) Axe and Mace
                        (60) Death Explosion"

I may be wrong still, but this is still something interesting I stumbled upon in that respect.
                        Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• hmm.... i just checked with original dos-quake using dosbox,
                          and the overlord's explosion also doesnt do any damage in original dos-quake.

so if it's supposed to do damage it was always bugged even in dos-quake.

Comment

• Hello Pringles Man,

There is no DP related bug here.
                            If you look into the available Rogue devkit, and we all believe that its source is correct, it tells you the following:

Wrath is inflicting 80 radius damage when he dies.
                            Super_Wrath (aka Overlord) is not inflicting any damage when he dies.

Regards.

Comment

• problem with texturing models

Hello!
                              Sorry for my poor English.
                              I have a problem with texturing models of weapons. Sometimes loading correctly but mostly bad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bchyn62jlajlth/wep1.jpg?dl=0
                              https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p27ofv24obdo0k/wep2.jpg?dl=0
                              https://www.dropbox.com/s/r07lwq78eosrrdl/wep3.jpg?dl=0

I use the last stable version DarkPlaces engine Windows 64 OpenGL build 20140513
                              and i tried also DarkPlaces engine Windows OpenGL build 20140513 darkplaces executables for Windows-32bit.
                              Small-mod-compilation 5.11 - with defaults settings.
                              I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, my video card : GeForce GT 540M 1GB (laptop).

I do not know what is badly tried different things, for example - Epsilon mod v2.52 based on small-mod-compilation v3.80 and DarkPlaces 2011 works well.
                              I used earlier compilation: darkplaces engine 2012-12-22 with texturing is ok but I then errors with special effects 5.11 SMC

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10sbkn7ajgetnsc/fx.jpg?dl=0

Are these lines in the smc_config.cfg file (SMC 5.11 with DarkPlaces 20140513 ) are correct ?

sv_gameplayfix_upwardvelocityclearsongroundflag "1"
                              sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox "1"
                              sv_gameplayfix_droptofloorstartsolid "1"
                              "r_useportalculling" "1"
                              set darkplaces_build 1
                              set player_reflection_fix 1

Regards.

Comment

• @lordvalsary
                                thats not a darkplaces bug, that is a known bug with recent Nvidia drivers and MD3

revert your GPU drivers to version 320.49 and all models will look fine

the particle-thing is related the the DP build.
                                darkplaces builds from before 2014 handled particles differently then the newer 2014 builds

for older DP builds you will need to set 'darkplaces_build' to 0
                                for newer DP builds from 2014 you must set this setting to 1
                                Last edited by talisa; 01-19-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X