• Show
Clear All

• updated the nvidia drivers

Thanks for the reply.
    I updated the nvidia drivers to version 347.09
    Now everything looks ok.

Comment

• you're welcome! glad i was able to help with your problem

so on nvidia drivers v347.09 all models look ok?
      if so, its good to know there's a newer driver-version again whcih doesnt have the texture-bug with MD3-models
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Update the drivers brought improvement

Hello !

As I wrote I had nothing but problems with textures, models of weapons.
        Update the drivers brought improvement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/toh3oa97qkr3l7u/a.jpg?dl=0
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5jlqjmnjfd95mx/b.jpg?dl=0
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0tj4rpii98vvng/c.jpg?dl=0
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwinwz50m32diqo/d.jpg?dl=0
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/grl2k6j96hqrg0q/e.jpg?dl=0

I use mostly classical models with textures HD - maybe this is the reason.
        Anyway...I'm happy now everything looks great!
        Many thanks for the tip.

Comment

• ok good to hear the problem is solved

and great to know that the latest 347.09 drivers dont have this problem anymore

any drivers since 327.23 all had this same problems and i had to stick with 320.49 cuz of that.
          good to know there is finally an nvidia driver again which doesnt have this texture-bug with MD3
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Problem is partially solved

The problem is partially solved.
            1. I installed drivers 320.49
            2. Most models replaced the HD version MD3
            Most of the models was textured properly but some still incorrectly - as in the case of last driver version 347.09.
            It is interesting that, regardless of the version of the driver all versions dark places from 2013 have this problem
            I compared the earlier versions Dark Places of the 2011 and 2012 with nvidia drivers versions 320.49 - 347.09 and everything was fine, in my opinion it is a question of a new version of DP from year 2013 - 2014 or my 'mobile' graphics card: GF 540m GT.

Comment

• The Scroll Wheel doesn't work well for selecting weapons, it seems DarkPlaces doesn't support the Smooth Mouse Wheel Scrolling API that was introduced with Windows XP? When you scroll, it rapidly scrolls through your weapons at hyper speed.

For some Microsoft Mice (Not all!) the Microsoft Intellipoint (Now Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center) software will have a work-around mode you can enable for programs that lack proper support for smooth mouse wheel scrolling so for me there is at least a work-around to the issue but it'd be cool to see the DarkPlaces program properly handle this without the work-around being required as I may change my mouse... eventually (And I'm sure others have noticed the issue too but may not have reported it).

Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000
              There's an article talking about it in the Microsoft Intellipoint help file (Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center doesn't seem to have a help file), there's also Method 5 mentioned here with details on how to properly handle scroll wheel events: Resolve problems with mouse button or scrolling settings

Some Lighting settings can't be seen in the configuration screen. You can select them/manipulate them but they just aren't visible so I dunno wtf they are changing.
              Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 03-07-2015, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• Ogg vorbis freezing bug

darkplaces-sdl.exe 32bit compiled on 13th May 2014 (version was downloaded from LH's darkplaces website a few weeks ago) running on Windows 7 64bit SP1.

Within a few minutes of gameplay, the game freezes up. By elimination, I've discovered that it stops when I take out the id1/sound/cdtracks/track002.ogg..track011.ogg files, which are the cd ripped original soundtrack. The music does actually play, until the whole game freezes. No other mods/files are in the id1 directory. I even deleted the config.sys/autoexec.sys beforehand.

I'm just testing with .wav files instead....It doesn't freeze. So it's definitely ogg vorbis alone. Could it be the ogg dll's? They are dated 2010. Or perhaps its SDL?

Comment

• 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS.

Audio works for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, and then cuts out. Applies to both sound effects and .ogg music. Happens whether or not I'm using music files or texture packs.

This happens with two versions:

Latest darkplaces-glx build, downloaded from the site (built 5/13/2014).

Also, compiled the version straight out of SVN today - same issue.

The version of darkplaces that's packaged with Ubuntu, which is a few months older, doesn't have this issue - only the two newer ones I tried. However, that version is unable to load PNG texture packs, so it's useless to me.

Libs:
                  Code:
                  $ ldd darkplaces-glx 
                          linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7747000)
                          libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xb76d3000)
                          libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0xb76b9000)
                          libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.62 (0xb7694000)
                          librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xb768b000)
                          libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xb7686000)
                          libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0xb7552000)
                          libXpm.so.4 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXpm.so.4 (0xb7540000)
                          libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0xb752c000)
                          libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xb7526000)
                          libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2 (0xb7430000)
                          libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7414000)
                          libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb7266000)
                          /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7748000)
                          libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0xb7243000)
                          libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0xb723f000)
                          libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7238000)

Comment

• Newer darkplaces runs a lot slower than older version?

I recently decided to fire up and play with Quake 1 (I have the steam versions), so I downloaded Ultimate quake patch http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1756923 and rygels texture pack. The game looks and runs great, but I noticed that darkplaces version that came with the patch is really outdated, back from 2011. So I downloaded the newest stable from LordHavoc's site, and my performance dropped by at least 30%. I played around with the newest stable, latest beta releases, 32bit, 64bit - but still the old version performs best. Is this due to some added features or older version was better optimized?

Comment

• Originally posted by och View Post
                      I recently decided to fire up and play with Quake 1 (I have the steam versions), so I downloaded Ultimate quake patch http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1756923 and rygels texture pack. The game looks and runs great, but I noticed that darkplaces version that came with the patch is really outdated, back from 2011. So I downloaded the newest stable from LordHavoc's site, and my performance dropped by at least 30%. I played around with the newest stable, latest beta releases, 32bit, 64bit - but still the old version performs best. Is this due to some added features or older version was better optimized?
                      I too have noticed this, particularly when there are different lightstyles in view (flashing, strobing, pulsing, what not...anything besides normal static light). The 2011 release seems to be the most solid for MY computer. Probably a driver related issue, my PC is old as shit.
                      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                        I too have noticed this, particularly when there are different lightstyles in view (flashing, strobing, pulsing, what not...anything besides normal static light). The 2011 release seems to be the most solid for MY computer. Probably a driver related issue, my PC is old as shit.
                        Mine is actually very new - 6700k with gtx780.

Comment

• Hello och,

If you are running vanilla Quake, then you are good to go with it.
                          All Darkplaces builds can be considered "stable".

I followed your link to the "Ultimate Quake Patch" and was quite suprised what I saw. User MenaceInc, who uploaded the "patch" wrote:
                          I myself put this together ... This did involve a fair amount of work .... However most of the credit must go to LordHavoc ...

For your information, this is what he did:
                          - Downloaded Darkplaces autobuild 20100517
                          - Renamed darkplaces.exe to Winquake.exe
                          - Made a copy of Winquake.exe and named it Glquake.exe
                          - Deleted all source files, linux and sdl executables

Then he copied the original music soundtrack into it and uploaded it to Steam.
                          The "Ultimate Quake Patch" was born

But back to your question:
                          In my experience the fastes Darkplaces build is this one: 20110203

As long as you do not want to use new features and only want to play good old Quake, keep it if you need the performance.
                          If you encounter issues/bugs you can consider to download and use a new one (20140513 is a good choice then).

Having that said.
                          If you want to play Quake as it was meant to be, you are better off using a different engine. If you want to use bling-bling and stuff like that in your Quake, Darkplaces is a good choice.

Anyhow, have fun with your Quake

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                            Hello och,

If you are running vanilla Quake, then you are good to go with it.
                            All Darkplaces builds can be considered "stable".

I followed your link to the "Ultimate Quake Patch" and was quite suprised what I saw. User MenaceInc, who uploaded the "patch" wrote:

For your information, this is what he did:
                            - Downloaded Darkplaces autobuild 20100517
                            - Renamed darkplaces.exe to Winquake.exe
                            - Made a copy of Winquake.exe and named it Glquake.exe
                            - Deleted all source files, linux and sdl executables

Then he copied the original music soundtrack into it and uploaded it to Steam.
                            The "Ultimate Quake Patch" was born
                            Basically what the guy did is he made darkplaces compatible with steam version of the game, by renaming the executable files so that they can be launched directly from steam. I believe renaming darkplaces.exe automatically disables some options, so that's not a good thing?

I primarily downloaded his patch for the original soundtrack. I have the exe renamed back to darkplace.exe so everything is working proper on my rig. I also added rygels texture pack. What really surprised me is that the build of darkplaces he included in his patch gave me better performance than newer versions of darkplaces.

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                            But back to your question:
                            In my experience the fastes Darkplaces build is this one: 20110203

As long as you do not want to use new features and only want to play good old Quake, keep it if you need the performance.
                            If you encounter issues/bugs you can consider to download and use a new one (20140513 is a good choice then).

Having that said.
                            If you want to play Quake as it was meant to be, you are better off using a different engine. If you want to use bling-bling and stuff like that in your Quake, Darkplaces is a good choice.

Anyhow, have fun with your Quake
                            Thank you very much for the detailed response. I will try the version you've recommended. I certainly like the bling bling, and I'm definitely having fun with Quake! Its such a throwback in time playing it these days in full 4k resolution - first time I played quake back when I was in high school on a Pentium 166 machine that barely ran it at 640x480 resolution.

Comment

• I'm back, and looking for help with DOPA addon!

I put dopa.bat in the quake1 folder which executes "darkplaces.exe -dopa" and made dopa folder inside quake1 folder with the addon files.

However when I run the .bat file, it executes plain quake, and I have to go to options, browse mods, and exectute dopa from there. I don't have to do that with the other two addons - SCOURGE OF ARMAGON and DISSOLUTION OF ETERNITY. They are installed the same way as DOPA and execute from their respective .bat files right away.

Comment

• @och
                                thats because this is not an official expansion-pack,
                                and thus you have to start it just like any other mod

so start it with -game dopa

Comment

Working...
                                X