Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkPlaces: Interesting cvars

Dear all,

As many of you know, Error started the dpwiki (now available here)with tons of informations about DarkPlaces.
    I cannot thank him enough for this unique documentation !

Many people asked LordHavoc to implement more adjustable settings/cvars into the games "Options" menu. It is clear, that it is impossible to implement all of them.

During my recent search for a special cvar, I had this idea to create a thread about very useful cvars, that are not listed in the "Options" menu of DP.
    So that more people have the chance to find out about some of the "hidden ones".
    It would be a pity if they are overseen...
    Some of them are already mentioned in various threads, spreaded all over this forum.

Please feel free to extend this list. It is just a beginning.
    Value in brackets are the default one.

1.) Newer DP builds have a much darker 2D text color. To adjust it:
    r_textbrightness ["0"]
    additional brightness for text color codes (0 keeps colors as is, 1 makes them all white, negative values makes them darker)

2.) See a screenshot during loading time:
    scr_loadingscreen_background ["0"]
    show the last visible background during loading screen (costs one screenful of video memory)

3.) Freeze your world and walk in it (just like Adam Sandler´s "Click")
    sv_freezenonclients ["0"]
    freezes time, except for players, allowing you to walk around and take screenshots of explosions

4.) Motion-/Damageblur:
    r_motionblur ["0"]
    motionblur value scale - 0.5 recommended (see also other adjusting cvars !)
    r_damageblur ["0"]
    motionblur based on damage

5.) Improve your "DP pretty water":
    r_water_resolutionmultiplier ["0.5"]
    multiplier for screen resolution when rendering refracted/reflected scenes, 1 is full quality, lower values are faster
    r_water_reflectdistort ["0.01"]
    how much water reflections shimmer
    r_water_refractdistort ["0.01"]
    how much water reflections shimmer
    Use the last two cvars to get rid of the errors on water pool edges !! sample

6.) Decals related (blood, etc.)
    cl_decals_fadetime ["1"]
    how long decals take to fade away. Highly suggested to raise it !!
    cl_decals_time ["20"]
    how long before decals start to fade away
    cl_particles_blood_decal_scalemax ["2"]
    maximal random scale of decal. To scale your BLOOD decal bigger.
    cl_decals_models ["0"]
    enables decals on animated models (if newsystem is also 1)

7.) Parallax Mapping / Offsetmapping:
    r_glsl_offsetmapping ["0"]
    offset mapping effect (also known as parallax mapping or virtual displacement mapping)
    r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale ["0.04"]
    how deep the offset mapping effect is

8.) HUD / 2D´s size:
    vid_conheight ["480"]
    virtual height of 2D graphics system
    vid_conwidth ["640"]
    virtual width of 2D graphics system
    See screenshot comparism

9.) console properties:
    scr_conalpha ["1"]
    opacity of console background. Try "0"
    con_textsize ["8"]
    console text size in virtual 2D pixels. If you have difficulties reading it.

10.) Mission text printing speed.
    scr_printspeed ["0"]
    speed of intermission printing (episode end texts), a value of 0 disables the slow printing. Try "15" for original Quake behaviour.

11.) Item bobbing (powerups, keys, ground_weapons)
    cl_itembobheight ["0"]
    how much items bob up and down. Try "4"

12.) Stereo glasses support:
    r_stereo_redcyan ["0"]
    red/cyan anaglyph stereo glasses, the kind given away at drive-in movies like Creature From The Black Lagoon In 3D. Other stereo types are supported too. See also other adjusting cvars. more details

13.) Activate 3rd person view:
    chase_active ["0"]
    enables chase cam
    chase_back ["48"]
    chase cam distance from the player
    chase_up ["24"]
    chase cam distance from the player

14.) Adjust game speed:
    slowmo ["1.0"]
    controls game speed, 0.5 is half speed, 2 is double speed. Works also for demo playback.

15.) Save content of console into a file ("command"):
    condump <filename>
    output console history to a file (see also log_file). VERY useful for troubleshooting.

16.) Fade your screen to red when dying:
    cl_deathfade ["0"]
    Fade screen to dark red when dead, value represents how fast the fade is (higher is faster).

17.) Limit your max. frames per second:
    cl_maxfps ["0"]
    maximum fps cap, 0 = unlimited. Sometimes very useful to cap your max. fps.

18.) Search for cvars/commands via console:
    apropos <string>
    lists all console variables/commands/aliases containing the specified string in the name or description.

19.) Enable realistic HUD/View weapon movement:
    cl_leanmodel ["0"]
    enables weapon leaning effect when looking around.
    Makes the weapon behaviour much more realistic.
    There are also several sub-cvars to finetune this effect.

20.) Enable realistic HUD/View weapon movement:
    cl_followmodel ["0"]
    enables weapon pushing / pulling effect when walking.
    Makes the weapon behaviour much more realistic.

21.) Slightly random view tilt (also known as Quake´s "drunken" view):
    v_idlescale ["0"]
    Makes the in-game view much more realistic.
    The bigger the value, the more intense the effect (try "1" first, before you go higher !).

Kind regards,
    Seven
    Last edited by Seven; 01-19-2014, 02:42 AM. Reason: added points 19. to 21.

Thanks for sharing this Seven. I'm looking at expanding my knowledge base. This coupled with the other info you provided about dpwiki is a great help in my learning curve!!
    Regards
    Jeff

Comment

Hi Seven:

As always your post is very good information! I just registered there...and seems you have to be in a certain group to contribute or edit something. Long time ago there was a good one at quakesrc.org and some stuff is still archived as per my talk today with FrikaC. Example:

Quake Wiki - string type

Comment

Hello,

Having a thunderstorm here tonight, that makes the night bright like a day, I couldnt sleep and decided to continue the list a bit.

Points 9.) - 12.) added in 1st post.

Thank you for your interesting link Cobalt !

Kind regards,
        Seven

Comment

I've been playing around with a lot of the cvar's too, I dumped them all to a text file like I do with most of my games, and started to change various ones. Some interesting ones I have in my autoexec are.

r_shadows_castfrombmodels "1" // do cast shadows from bmodels (all models cast shadows)

r_textshadow "2" // draws a shadow on all text to improve readability (note: value controls offset, 1 = 1 pixel, 1.5 = 1.5 pixels, etc)

Seven mentioned above about the console size (also effects the hud and text).

If you play at 1920x1200 like I do you may like following 16:10 aspect ratio for the console.

vid_conheight "500"
          vid_conwidth "800"

Also, here are some of the advanced video settings, they can have adverse effects on performance, or may not work properly yet. Fun to play with though to see if you can use some or all of them.

// note : these rendering cvars seriously effect performance, use at your discretion, some may not work properly yet.

r_shadow_realtime_world "0"
          r_shadow_realtime_world_lightmaps "0"
          r_shadow_bouncegrid "0"
          r_shadow_bouncegrid_hitmodels "0"
          r_shadow_bumpscale_basetexture "0"
          r_shadow_deferred "0"
          r_shadow_realtime_dlight_portalculling "0"
          r_shadow_realtime_dlight_svbspculling "0"
          Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
            Dear all,

As many of you know, Error started the dpwiki with tons of informations about DarkPlaces.
            I cannot thank him enough for this unique documentation !

Many people asked LordHavoc to implement more adjustable settings/cvars into the games "Options" menu. It is clear, that it is impossible to implement all of them.
            Someone should attempt to make a CSQC mod for DP that deal specifically with CVAR/COMMAND indexing. Kinda like a HELP menu on steroids.

Also if you enable decals, I highly suggest using cl_decals_newsystem 1 which will make decals wrap around the bsp it contacts with.
            Nice to see these cvars listed, one truely sad aspect of DarkPlaces is that end users dont want to configure the engine to its potential. When someone loads it up for the 1st time and its running slow and looks different and doesnt feel like glQuake, a lot of players just stop using it
            Last edited by R00k; 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Hello R00k,

Thank you for your post.

This was exactly the reason why I started this thread:
              Originally posted by R00k View Post
              When someone loads DP up for the 1st time and its running slow and looks different and doesnt feel like glQuake, a lot of players just stop using it
              Maybe it helps a bit to bring new users closer to it and its capabilities.
              Maybe this thread can become a sticky for this matter.

Fortunately the cvar "cl_decals_newsystem" is "1" by default.
              The dpwiki is a little outdated in some cvar descriptions...
              Originally posted by R00k View Post
              Also if you enable decals, I highly suggest using cl_decals_newsystem 1 which will make decals wrap around the bsp it contacts with.

Added points 13.) - 15.) in 1st post.
              How could I forget the "chase cam" function ?
              That´s it from me now. Those 15 are the ones I wanted to point out.

Best Regards,
              Seven

Comment

The other day while I was working on the Quake charset ptoject, I test dumped some odd characters in ascii to the con in DP , and something triggered the entire list of commands to get dumped to the console. didnt have time to reverse engineer which one it was though

Comment

Somewhere there is a cvar for adjusting the weapon placement, but I can't find the post now... I think Baker posted about it on inside3d, that would be a nice one to have, if anyone knows what it is...

:EDIT:

ups this was a small tut to add r_viewmodeloffset to quake, lol. My bad, and it wasn't complete. Sorry I was really tired when reading Inside3d last night.
                  Last edited by Roy Batty; 08-26-2011, 03:21 PM.
                  Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Hello,

I extended the list a little with a cvar question that has been asked in another thread.

Maybe interesting for newer people to read through it.
                    Because most cvars/commands are related to regular upcoming questions.

Best wishes,
                    Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Batty View Post
                      Somewhere there is a cvar for adjusting the weapon placement, but I can't find the post now... I think Baker posted about it on inside3d, that would be a nice one to have, if anyone knows what it is...
                      There are quite a few vars to change models looks,movement and placement,please be a bit more descriptive in what you are trying to change.
                      WARNING
                      May be too intense for some viewers.
                      Stress Relief Device
                      ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                      ---------------------------
                      .--------------------------

Comment

While struggling with some particles, I had to make use of the cvar cl_maxfps.
                        I remembered that several people asked for this so I added it to the list on page1.
                        It is a very handy, powerful and useful cvar.

I remember that some Quake engines should be run at 72 fps to avoid some issues.
                        But I cannot recall why that was....

Anyhow, 1st page updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                          While struggling with some particles, I had to make use of the cvar cl_maxfps.
                          I remembered that several people asked for this so I added it to the list on page1.
                          It is a very handy, powerful and useful cvar.

I remember that some Quake engines should be run at 72 fps to avoid some issues.
                          But I cannot recall why that was....

Anyhow, 1st page updated.
                          it was in relation to timings. it was causing lifts to break,among other things including "ice skating" effects in single player, and it was made extremely apparent when using directq and its plethora of fps.
                          I bet tons of people wish they got a constant 72 fps in darkplaces lol.It's a beast.
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Ya quake was meant to run at a max of 72fps, though in the original progs.dat many actions are timed at time + 0.1 intervals.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Back in early 2007, when I made a major push to get people to look at DarkPlaces as a possible replacement for the entire online community (this didn't work) ... around that time, LordHavoc told me a lot about effectinfo.txt and at the time the significance of this file didn't occur to me [I wasn't an engine coder and my understanding was quite limited ... today I fully understand, maybe 5 years late to see the brilliance ... ].

LordHavoc has always been way ahead of the curve.

I read that he is possibly involved in maybe developing a Steam for Linux ... which really means making a new console platform. [Since Linux in many ways is a promise for a future that won't happen ... for reasons that are complex not easily explained ... ]

There isn't much point in this post except back when the Dredd server was popular in early 2007, R00k and LordHavoc talked engine stuffs while I listened intently and I did gain immensely from the conversation -- LordHavoc and R00k talked maybe 3 hours off and on.

I never knew at the time that I would take up engine coding.

I am always left with the fact that this unknown and undefined community called QuakeOne.com really shook up the status quo in 2006. There were and still are other communities, but this one never had a predisposed idea of what Quake was and always was looking for those answers.

Today, I am a bit taken aback but what this community might come to be tomorrow ...
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                              X