No announcement yet.

DarkPlaces: Interesting cvars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, then that makes sense why its not working.

Yea, he seemed to be gone for a while, several inquiries I made went unanswered, but he seems to be back now.

I sugguested some new stuff, such as a MOVETYPE_FLOAT , for when stuff is in the water. Though lots of QC has been invented for a while now, like Gyro that seems to take care of this kind of stuff. I guess you can pretty much write your own water floating code, but theres always room for expanding.

Originally posted by Seven View Post
    Hello Cobalt,

That feature died in DP builds sometime in 2012.
    I personaly dont use motionblur in any game. It makes me sea-sick, hehe.
    So, using a 2013 build, I do not miss it too much

But all the other cvar´s / commands from 1st post seem to still work.

Sidenote:
    LH seems to be on honeymoon with Supa, as he didnt release a new autobuild since end of august

Comment

Try cl_bob 1 , its also very realistic. However it seems not to alter if you are no longer on the ground or in water....

Comment

This is totally awesome Seven! Thanks for bringing exposure to these cvars. I've enabled several of them.

I am making a custom .CFG file for RiftQuake that will automatically enable these cvars to polish the gameplay. It will be documented in the game manual how to change/delete them from the .CFG if players so choose, but having them enabled should expose them to anyone playing.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Hello Dutch,

Without a doubt the most important command in DP is "apropos".
          It will search through all existing cvars/commands names and even their descriptions for the searched string and lists them (including their description).

I wish all engines had such a included "wiki search". Many use slightly different cvar names/possibilities and with an included search-function, they would be better known/reachable for users.
          Documentation is still weak for many things (even though of several existing wikis).

Hello Cobalt,

Regarding the topic we are currently discussing via email, I think there is an interesting command, which will help you with the current issue. I would like to mention it here, in case also others find it useful.
          Please type into console:
          showtex 1
          It will display the texture name in the below right corner (where the crosshair is pointing to).

Examples:

Comment

Seven

Thanks for this note. Yes, its a nice tool for sure. I didnt know models like doors also have texture names on them, and this will save me alot of time !

Oops, I spoke too soon. I cant utilize the texture names on models in QC....its not detecting them !
            Last edited by Cobalt; 04-21-2014, 06:08 PM. Reason: update

Comment

I use the apropos cvar religiously since I read about it in this thread. I even tell people to use it in my readme file to adjust cvars. Thanks!

Comment

Best thing, apropos even works for custom (mod)-cvars and auto_cvars.
                Except the description part. I still have to find out how to add descriptions to auto_cvars
                But that is an engine/csqc thing I guess.

I have heard that some mods out there have far too many auto_cvars
                And even the author forgot half of them...
                Fortunately apropos is a quick way to find them again quickly, if you remember one part/snippet of its name, and dont want to alt+tab out to check through config file.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                  Thanks for this note. Yes, its a nice tool for sure. I didnt know models like doors also have texture names on them, and this will save me alot of time !

Oops, I spoke too soon. I cant utilize the texture names on models in QC....its not detecting them !

Hello Cobalt,

The root cause for your issue is, that a door is != world. This also applies for plates, lifts, etc.
                  The QC code is only working for world textures.
                  But luckily world == ent, so you can change your code to detect all world textures PLUS map ent textures, like doors, plates, etc.

Put this in your spike_touch ():
                  Code:
                  local float surfnum1;
                  local string s1;
                  surfnum1 = getsurfacenearpoint (other, self.origin);
                  if (surfnum1 >= 0)
                  {
                  	s1 = getsurfacetexture(other, surfnum1);
                  	sprint (self.owner, s1);
                  	sprint (self.owner, "\n");
                  }
                  What I basically did was to replace 'world' with 'other'.
                  Now you can detect the door and lift textures as well.

Do this for your other weapons as well, but use for traceline weapons (like shotguns, ..) "trace.ent" instead of "other".

Best wishes,
                  Seven

Comment

Seven -

Ah , nice work ! Yes, other is the touch entity all the time, and of course it would be world for the map bsp. Very good. Things working alot better here now, thanks.

Comment

Hey Seven, have you found the v_psycho cvar? Just found it myself, pretty interesting haha

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                        Hey Seven, have you found the v_psycho cvar? Just found it myself, pretty interesting haha
                        Hello Dutch,

If you like the v_psycho easter egg, then you will most probably also like the r_trippy one

But my absolutely favorite cvar of this type is: v_flipped
                        When you enable that one, all the maps that you think you knew from inside out, will be *new* again.
                        Fire up the start map, type v_flipped 1 and try to play through Quake for example.
                        It is an "all new experience" !

I wonder if Spike also added some easter eggs into his engine.
                        Easter eggs are pretty neat.

Comment

@Seven, you can have a lot of fun with fte's stt command, combined with a microphone and optionally a multiplayer game. gibberish is disturbingly comical.

one man's easter egg is another man's feature.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

one cvar i discovered which can be very usefull for when you want to make pictures:
                            "r_drawviewmodel"

set it to 0 to make your hud-weapon invisible.

very usefully for when you want to make pictures to show off something and dont want your hud-weapons on the pic

just make sure to set it back to 1 once done
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

IIRC r_dawviewmodel is of the old vanilla quake
                              the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

no idea, but i found it randomly one time and its really usefull for when making pictures
                                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                                X