Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial: Chat Indicator in Multiplayer :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried it on the player? It more or less is like a transparency effect.

Originally posted by PrimalLove View Post
    @Cobalt EF_ADDITIVE is a blending effect.

Comment

oversight bug...exploit?

cobalt,

screenshot player model?

card? driver version?

if this looks cool then i'D say use instead of the eyes.mdl
      Last edited by R00k; 10-29-2014, 09:59 PM.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I don't think its a bug per say. Well, maybe in this case I use it myself for respawning items in coop. I use a color_glow and additive and it looks very nice.

But yes I have used it on the player. Its a pretty cool effect but you can get a much better effect for invisiblity using self.alpha .01 or similar. I use it myself instead of eyes. This is what it looks like in game tho with just EF_ADDITIVE on the player.

This is one with FULLBRIGHT added

And this is using ADDITIVE and another special one called EF_NODEPTHTEST on grunts.

It essentially draws the monster so you can see if from anywhere you are in the level. Pretty cool applications with this. Say you have an objective on the map and you want the player to be able to see it at all times? Well you can add this to any model or sprite and they will be able to see if from anywhere in the map. So cool marker applications and even cool x ray vision.

But for invisibility it makes more sense to use self.alpha .01 if you want to be almost completely invisible. It gives them a small chance to catch a glimpse of you before the end....
        This is with self.alpha = 0.05

This is with self.alpha = 0.1 and added EF_ADDITIVE and EF_FULLBRIGHT. Experiment and see what you like. FTE and DP support these extensions.

Cheers.

Comment

The last pic looks better, and probably more so in-game.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Quake1 Arena is doing this:

Code:
             if (self.impulse == 80)// Bind "t" impulse 80
                   {
                    stuffcmd (self, "messagemode\n");
                    if (!self.chat_ent)
                    {
                     self.chat_ent = spawn ();
                    }
                    setmodel (self.chat_ent, "gfx/balloon4.spr");
                    setorigin (self.chat_ent, (self.origin + '0 0 64'));
                    self.chat_ent.solid = SOLID_NOT;
                    self.chat_ent.aflag = WEAPON_SHOTGUN;
                    self.chat_ent.scale = 0.5;
                   }
            So I can see when you hit "t" spawns the chat_ent bubble, but after typing is done, how will it know to remove the ent? I guess I could comb through the code some more...

Originally posted by R00k View Post
            i would think it would be like

Code:
            stuffcmd(self, "bind ` \"impulse 123;wait;wait;toggleconsole\"\n");

Comment

Working...
            X