Getting into QuakeC coding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into QuakeC coding?

I have seen many games made with Quake engine, indie games. Like,Nazi Zombies Portable,Augustine Despondent and many others. I want to try and create my own game as well. How would I get into coding with QuakeC?

I have searched everywhere and I cannot not seem to get one thing about coding with QuakeC.

Thanks!

QuakeC is like a watered down version of C. So learning how to program in C is a good step. Also you might learn a few things if you read the source code of some mods written in quakec. As for an online tutorial on quakec itself, this is kind of close to what you're looking for: Quake Info Pool (click on QuakeC in the side menu)

Comment

Originally posted by Rokcet View Post
      I have seen many games made with Quake engine, indie games. Like,Nazi Zombies Portable,Augustine Despondent and many others. I want to try and create my own game as well. How would I get into coding with QuakeC?

I have searched everywhere and I cannot not seem to get one thing about coding with QuakeC.

Thanks!
      You should read the source code. You can get a cleaned up GPL QuakeC source here.

You need a QC compiler to compile the code into a progs.dat file which the engine can run. I suggest fteqcc.

You should download an engine like Darkplaces or FTE if you want to make a standalone game with QC.

You should then go to the inside3d.com forums and ask a lot of questions.

You should install an IRC client as well and join the channel #qc on irc.anynet.org because that's where a lot of QC coders hang out. You need to be aware that IRC is not instant messaging; you will have to idle in the chat room for hours, not just for 10 minutes. But you will get very good information in there.

Finally, attach yourself to the person who maintains your chosen engine (DP or FTE) on IRC. This is the best way to learn a lot of stuff. Also read the QC that comes with those engines (dpextensions.qc, fteextensions.qc) because they support a lot of advanced stuff that is very useful for programmers.

Other Quake engines I would not recommend for standalone games (and I'm not sure if other engines can even do standalone games.)

You should ideally learn the basics of C since a lot of things in QC are almost identical. The main difference is that QC uses some game specific concepts such as entities, think and touch functions, and engine builtins.

My final advice is to not use a Quake engine at all and use Unity instead. I have worked with the Quake engine for 10 years and I finally switched away from it for various reasons. You can read my blog to find out more.

Edit: This might be of interest http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xono...to_QuakeC.html
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
        You should read the source code. You can get a cleaned up GPL QuakeC source here.

You need a QC compiler to compile the code into a progs.dat file which the engine can run. I suggest fteqcc.

You should download an engine like Darkplaces or FTE if you want to make a standalone game with QC.

You should then go to the inside3d.com forums and ask a lot of questions.

You should install an IRC client as well and join the channel #qc on irc.anynet.org because that's where a lot of QC coders hang out. You need to be aware that IRC is not instant messaging; you will have to idle in the chat room for hours, not just for 10 minutes. But you will get very good information in there.

Finally, attach yourself to the person who maintains your chosen engine (DP or FTE) on IRC. This is the best way to learn a lot of stuff. Also read the QC that comes with those engines (dpextensions.qc, fteextensions.qc) because they support a lot of advanced stuff that is very useful for programmers.

Other Quake engines I would not recommend for standalone games (and I'm not sure if other engines can even do standalone games.)

You should ideally learn the basics of C since a lot of things in QC are almost identical. The main difference is that QC uses some game specific concepts such as entities, think and touch functions, and engine builtins.

My final advice is to not use a Quake engine at all and use Unity instead. I have worked with the Quake engine for 10 years and I finally switched away from it for various reasons. You can read my blog to find out more.

Edit: This might be of interest Introduction to QuakeC - Xonotic - Xonotic Development
        Thanks, and unity is actually what I am trying to get away from. I like Quake more than Unity actually because its a challenge and at this point Unity feels like Game maker. I like the feel of Quake as well when your in game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokcet View Post
          Thanks, and unity is actually what I am trying to get away from. I like Quake more than Unity actually because its a challenge and at this point Unity feels like Game maker. I like the feel of Quake as well when your in game.
          In that case, have fun.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
          X