No announcement yet.

I have problem downloading a compiling GUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kinda shocked. Granted, being a good mapper takes a lot of work but learning how to use the editor is a nothing. The handful of my friends that mess with map editors had a grasp of all the most common features within minutes, myself included. I jumped from WC to radiant in one lazy night.

I think you just need a tutor for a night and you would not just give up.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Thinking back, it seemed like an extremely steep learning curve to me. I was proud when I learned how to create a brush entity. I think I had to ask on a forum how to do it.

Even when I was relatively comfortable mapping, I remember being scared by the idea of remaking a Quake single player map. I started with multiplayer maps because that's easier.

Things like marksurfaces and clipnodes remained mysteries to me for a long time. It took 5 years or somesuch to be comfortable making singleplayer levels and understanding what all the error messages were about.

Don't dis him/her. It is not for everyone. It is a really hard thing to do.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

@gb - I fully agree that there are "mysteries" to mapping but to get your feet wet isn't a big deal at all. I also meant no disrespect at all, and attempted to simply state my experience and opinion. Just because my vernacular is sharp, it doesn't mean I'm trying to stab someone with it. I simply suck at being non-aggressive, no matter how much I try.

You told me once that Americans will ignore the shit on the floor and Germans would very bluntly state its presence. Well, aside from being German, I'm just a blunt person. It's not always with intent though.

Giving up in novice mode is the proverbial shit on the floor.
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-23-2015, 04:55 PM.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
        X