Modifying Monster Health in SOA/DOE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Monster Health in SOA/DOE

Me and my friends thought the bosses and other enemies in the mission packs were too easy in Coop.

So I was wondering, whats the easiest or best way to modify the Mission Pack monsters health?

Is it by changing the QC files and compiling the progs.dat? and if so, where can I get the SOA and DOE qc files?

aye, any kind of modification to the game has to be done with QC.

hipnotic's (MP1:SOA) QC can be acquired here: http://public.www.planetmirror.com/p...ipnotic/qc.zip
    rogue's (MP2: DoE) QC source can be aqcuired here: http://public.www.planetmirror.com/p...doe_qconly.zip

you will want to look near the end of each monster's QC-file, where it sets the health.

like for the shambler, at the bottom you will find this at line 355
    Code:
    setsize (self, VEC_HULL2_MIN, VEC_HULL2_MAX);
    	self.health = 600;
    change the number after self.health to the desired health
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Thanks
      But I found those 2 links on Getting Started Modding - Quake Wiki and they doesnt seem to work

Comment

Thank you, now I can start buffing up the monsters and especially the bosses.

Also I wonder, wheres the Spike Mines health? I think its HIPSPIKE.qc, but I cant find anything mentioning health

Comment

@Jerkakame

Check in HIPITEMS.QC in Hipnotic Hazards: trap_spike_mine is the function.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalLove View Post
            @Jerkakame

Check in HIPITEMS.QC in Hipnotic Hazards: trap_spike_mine is the function.
            Thank you I found it, I would had never found it alone.

I used a mod the user Seven on this forum created to make cvars for adjusting the health.
            and Im finally done making cvars for all the new monsters in SOA and DOE, easy to use with autoexec.cfg in Darkplaces engine.

Comment

Jerkakame, watch out when using the sources from above mentioned links together with darkplaces. You will have these issues in your mod:

Mission pack 1:
              scourge idle animation bug
              rubbles do damage when lying on the floor

Mission pack 2:
              plasma gun projectile not moving bug
              buzzsaw not moving bug
              r2m7 elevator bug *

* = fixed with newer fteqcc.exe

If you use fte you will not have to suffer from these issues, except the buzzsaw bug which also happens in fte.

Your last post is interesting. You are saying you use cvars from sevens mod for adjusting the monsters health. Doesnt that mod also include this for the mission packs as well?
              As far as I remember that mod fixes the above mentioned issues. So you can correct them by copying the fixes into your mod, as you already have downloaded it.

Comment

@Henry
                I noticed the scourge idle animation bug and tried different sources to fix it.
                I found a pair of sources on github when googling hipscrge.qc
                https://github.com/bazilio-ua/q1.pro...aster/extended
                It fixed the stiff scourge and other bugs, including enabling self damage with friendly fire turned off.

The mod didnt include the mission packs, or atleast the version I found.
                But it had the Source files so I could learn how to do it for the Packs myself.
                And Im thinking of doing it for Quake 2 too.

Comment

@henry
                  seven has fixed all the problems you mentioned in the SMC http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...mpilation.html
                  which jarkakame mentioned he used for help for coding

so he could also copy over those same fixes from the SMC's QC,
                  including other fixes like correct nail-spawning position and the explosion from rogue's overlord not hurting the player
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

@talisa
                    oh I havent seen this mod collection before.

I found the adjustable health mod in a reply to a thread "Difficulty Mods?"
                    Seven posted a download link to it

Comment

@jerka
                      what you are talking about was a thread seven made to test out something.
                      he later implented it into his 'small mod compilation' aka SMC when people liked it

Comment

rubbles do damage when lying on the floor
                        So, I haven't looked at the hipnotic source code in quite some time, but this should just be as easy as putting a check for the speed of the rubble in its touch function, to make sure that it's actually moving. You could even make it so that below certain speeds (50 qu/s, perhaps), it doesn't do any damage, and then it does scaling damage upto 100 qu/s.
                        Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
                        Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

Comment

yesterday, yes the work-around is obvious and should be clear. It is just the fact that dp has issues with original quake and mission packs. While other advanced engines dont.
                          Fortunately there are qc workarounds for all of the DP-Quake issues available. Mission pack 2 is more affected than mission pack 1. Some have been mentioned in this thread. LH himself made statements to some of the issues. Most of the time he was blaming the mod authors though.

Interesting thing is, that he disabled his internal sv_gameplay fixes in his more recent builds. Making DP even more buggy for vanilla Quake. That decision is somehow hard to understand, at least for me. Not everybody knows that there are cvars to fix some bugs. Especially people who are new to Quake.
                          Important thing for modders is to at least know about this topic and how to fix these issues.

Anyway, LH doesnt seem to further develop DP anymore at the moment, because there are no new autobuilds since several months. yesterday, you are closer friend to him, can you tell us more about it? Does he start to abandon his engine? Or are there other reasons? Thank you.

Comment

@Henry
                            I got curious to check what version of DP I have, and its from early 2007 haha

Should I maybe update? Im not having any problems.

EDIT: 2007 was wrong, its actually 2010.
                            Last edited by Jerkakame; 03-07-2015, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X