Q1 map to Q3 map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q1 map to Q3 map?

Im researching the possibility of converting a q1 bsp into a q3 bsp and retaining as much of the q1 bsp specs as possible. On another forum I was told the clip brushes will be broken and it means collisoins around corners wont work perfectly in every case...not sure if I interpreted that right?

Also this would be for use in DP, and apparently mods like Nexiuz have their own maps included that are apparently in q3 format yet still are able to use the original Quake models fine, while maps designed for use in q3 have larger proportions overall resulting in the player.model for q1 looking as if hes in the Jack and the beanstalk mod -

Fir the most part I am told, start over from scratch and remake them in q3 format, as several have already been redone like DM4,5 and 6 for example...but I really want to retain the look of the old maps with the light and texturing - just have an overall better more modern BSP that handles collisions better like a q3 map does. I am aware some believe using the old ID textures like this would be a copyright violation, so what if we used Rygels or QRP's replacement textures?

Use qeradiant 2.02. I believe that's what that old version is called. Get it from id software's ftp. Load and save the map, it will now be in q3 format.

You will likely have to redo the lights. You will also have to retexture since q3 doesn't use texture wads.

I think the part about the textures is really a non-issue, since you're making a map that's going to run in Quake 1. Only the bsp format is different.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hey, thanks. Seems to work. Seems it was called q3radient 202? I used an the e1m1.map as a test.

Just loaded it, after I had to point to the Q3 engine it was asking for. I dont have the exact Q3 Engine but I did have Return to Castle Wolfenstein which is I guess the same engine. Loaded up the map, just did a straight save, then
      I compiled using Jackhammer with the new Tyr utilities installed. It did say NO vising performed for some reason though I had it selected to do so. The map seems to have alot of FPS hit as a result of that I believe.

Now that I am looking at it, it seems its just a regular q1-BSP. I checked the .map file after I saved it and it looks like its in the old format still. I also tried it in Quark and it loads in Quake-1 mode, not Quake 3, so I guess I compiled just a plain q1 map? How to be sure?

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
      Use qeradiant 2.02. I believe that's what that old version is called. Get it from id software's ftp. Load and save the map, it will now be in q3 format.

You will likely have to redo the lights. You will also have to retexture since q3 doesn't use texture wads.

I think the part about the textures is really a non-issue, since you're making a map that's going to run in Quake 1. Only the bsp format is different.

Comment

You will need to compile it with q3map2, obviously. It should come with netradiant.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Oh Obviously , for a mapping guy yea lol.

I have GTKradiant 1.5 , so tried using Quark to import the q1.map in q3 mode which it did, then saved as a q3 map. The header seems to confirm its now a q3 type map , so I built / compiled with my GTK Radiant in what seemed to be a compatability mode supplied to salvage light or something - and it built it !

However loading the map in DP, obviously some texture paths were not found, and the maps nearly all fullbright. Skies and water are solid...lol. Some textures seem "quadrupled" where there should be only 1.

Is GTK ok or should I get the other?

You will need to compile it with q3map2, obviously. It should come with netradiant.

Comment

hurrah! a successful conversion!

note that q3map2 can directly load quake1 .maps, but you still need to do something about textures/shaders with it.

q3map2 needs to be able to see the shaders in order to determine content types from surface parms.
            Last edited by Spike; 03-12-2015, 07:52 AM.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

In Quake 3, whose map compiler you're using, you need to use shaders for triggers, clip and so forth. Shaders are text files with the .shader extension and the map compiler/editor look for the shaders in the "scripts" directory.

Please read Q3Map2 Shader Manual

The texture scale is perhaps different.

And you can't use texture wads, you need to export the textures you're using to something like TGA format. Wally should be able to do that. The map compiler looks for the textures in a directory called "textures".
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I'm not versed w shaders, but my pal Xage is.

Also was told no lightstyles in q3 bsp, but someone said there is a solution for that....?

But yea, it seems not entirely hard to do for the most part...at least we can keep the rudimentary q1 proportions in tact for the most part.

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                hurrah! a successful conversion!

note that q3map2 can directly load quake1 .maps, but you still need to do something about textures/shaders with it.

q3map2 needs to be able to see the shaders in order to determine content types from surface parms.

Comment

Also here is the RAW map data for my test (e1m1) after conversion to q3 format via Quark:

[Clone C] E1M1 q1 to E1m1 q3 bsp - Pastebin.com

I suppose I am missing something because Radient also created a sub - folder called E1M1 where I had saved the converted map to originally, and in it are alot of .tga files. Are these the shaders?

Comment

Lets say I wanted to use the QRP texture pk3. Where would it go with respect to the Netradiant install? Radiant wants to know the path to Q3, and I dont have Q3 Arena , I do have RTCW which uses the Q3 eng and I have it pathed to that dir. Also upon install it made a dir: Quake III Arena and under tools it installed itself there, so does the /textures folder go there?

And you can't use texture wads, you need to export the textures you're using to something like TGA format. Wally should be able to do that. The map compiler looks for the textures in a directory called "textures".

Comment

You should use the Darkplaces gamepack for netradiant and not the Quake 3 one.

You do not need to have Quake 3 for this stuff.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Ok thanks. Tried again this time with e1m2 in q3 Radiant 202 dl'd from FTP ID.

Loaded the map ok , but it dont seem to load in the textures. Tried to load the directory where the qrp textures are in seems not to work still shows red and black texture boxes instead. Also this map I believe has a hole in it near the slipbot texture. May as well try and fix that , how to do ? Im using the stock ID .map file.

Here is the map I just made: Wikisend: free file sharing service

The light seems not to bad but definitely will need rework. Im using a .lit file so Im not sure if that is actually making it look better than it is. Some textures like on doors appear multiple times and one or 2 are completely gone.

Still havent read about shaders yet so the skies and water are solid as are the teleporters.

Comment

q3radiant 2.02 is not for actual mapping, use natradiant with the darkplaces gamepack for that.

Light works differently in q3 format maps. .lit files won't do anything. q3map2 does colored light internally.

You will need to convert your e1m2.map to q3 format, then load it into netradiant with the DP gamepack and compile with q3map2.

You don't use quake 1 compilers or .lit files with q3 format maps anymore. You can't just mix and match the toolchains here.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                          X