Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to do glass?

Hi,

I've heard there are many ways to do translucent surfaces in Quake, some involving sprites, etc. What's the most straightforward way to do this? I'm just using Worldcraft 3.3.

Thanks for any input you can help me with.

On QuakeForge I think, back in the day, they had the suggestion that you set a trigger box to 999999 health, so that it will be solid, but can never be "killed" (practically). Of course, that doesn't give you a reflection or shine effect.

Comment

(I barely even bothered to check out the expansion packs,so this could be inaccurate)
      I recall in one of the expansion packs for Quake1 they did translucent glass in some type of piping structure....

Maybe someone can recall what I am thinking of and point you directly to the map in question, and you could investigate how they did it.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

If your engine supports {alpha textures, use color 255 (it's a strange pink) from the quake palette for completely transparent and use some other bright color to add a bit of "shine" effect. Save the texture as {someName in your wad. Wally would be good for this. It won't look great but, it will work and you can massage it into your environment with some trial and error.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
          If your engine supports {alpha textures, use color 255 (it's a strange pink) from the quake palette for completely transparent and use some other bright color to add a bit of "shine" effect. Save the texture as {someName in your wad. Wally would be good for this. It won't look great but, it will work and you can massage it into your environment with some trial and error.
          Hi, got my 255 texture and incorporated it into my wad. However, it just comes up as pink. I'm using Fitzquake; how do I get it to render the texture as transparent? Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Stewie View Post
            Hi, got my 255 texture and incorporated it into my wad. However, it just comes up as pink. I'm using Fitzquake; how do I get it to render the texture as transparent? Thanks for your help!
            I don't know if fitzquake supports alpha textures. Did you make sure to add a "{" before the texture name?

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
              I don't know if fitzquake supports alpha textures. Did you make sure to add a "{" before the texture name?
              Hi, yeah, it goes {texturename, but it just shows up solid. I'm pretty sure fitzquake does translucent textures; just played a map using it that had them about a half hour ago. Any other advice?
              Last edited by Darth_Stewie; 06-21-2015, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Stewie View Post
                Hi, yeah, it goes {texturename, but it just shows up solid. I'm pretty sure fitzquake does translucent textures; just played a map using it that had them about a half hour ago. Any other advice?
                No, I am not very knowledgeable of all the ins and outs of quake. I only knew about these alpha textures due to a thread I read here a couple of months ago. I don't remember which thread. I know that I have told you the proper way to go about it though - (color 255 from palette, {texturename).

edit: convert your glass brush to a func_wall
                Last edited by Anubis; 06-21-2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Is this something useful: "Newskip" Skip Tool Released
                  – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
                  – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

IIRC Fitzquake supports "alpha" values -transparency-for entities. SO you can just to make a regular "func_wall" with a nice blue glass texture -not necessarily an alpha texture- a regular texture works.
                    After you add a new specific to the "func_wall" entity, the new value will be the level of transparency.
                    so, a func_wall with "alpha" "0.2" will be a nice glass i think.
                    you do not need any qc modifications, alpha support is just an engine feature.
                    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Hi guys, yeah, played around with the alpha settings and finally got it working. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                      X