No announcement yet.

Locational damage (projectile)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technicly using vector coords, you can plot out pixel by pixel / quake unit by quake unit, each point that resides in the absmax/absmin values of the hitbox.
    So you could map out all the points that the head area occupies and check versis trace_endpos if it encountered those points...but ah, the hitbox is not going to allow that right? True.

However, you could use some tricky Quake C to either resize the absmax of the hitbox so its neck height, then do your tracekine tests. Or possibly make the player a SOLID_TRIGGER perhaps. Would the traceline pass through that kind of solid? Traceline could let you ignore that entity if you had a way to reliably detect if its a client / player , but still you would neet to "step" the tracelines, sort of like the code thats out there that steps it backwards to detect if it hit water, then do a spalsh effect at the surface for the shotgun trace attack code.

I do know when you resize the hitbox to a non standard size, you have unreliable collisions, but if there should be a way to map out exact coords in a .mdl and match them to exact locations with respect to the model...and of course the frames, and possibly the angles might have to be taken into consideraiton.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
    Could you test the trace_endpos or the nail's final position before removal against the entity's min and max z values in relation to the entity's z origin? I'm pretty rusty at coding at the moment (been almost a year) so I can't whip up any code to try out at the moment but it might be worth looking into.

Comment

I think it's too much sweat. Is there a engine with the multi hitbox system of Half-Life models implemented? This would be the proper solution.

Comment

Not that I am aware but DP does have this feature , which I bleive will basicly do some of what I described above.

Code:
        //DP_TRACE_HITCONTENTSMASK_SURFACEINFO
        //idea: LordHavoc
        //darkplaces implementation: LordHavoc
        //globals:
        .float dphitcontentsmask; // if non-zero on the entity passed to traceline/tracebox/tracetoss this will override the normal collidable contents rules and instead hit these contents values (for example AI can use tracelines that hit DONOTENTER if it wants to, by simply changing this field on the entity passed to traceline), this affects normal movement as well as trace calls
        float trace_dpstartcontents; // DPCONTENTS_ value at start position of trace
        float trace_dphitcontents; // DPCONTENTS_ value of impacted surface (not contents at impact point, just contents of the surface that was hit)
        float trace_dphitq3surfaceflags; // Q3SURFACEFLAG_ value of impacted surface
        string trace_dphittexturename; // texture name of impacted surface

Originally posted by Six-Shoota View Post
        I think it's too much sweat. Is there a engine with the multi hitbox system of Half-Life models implemented? This would be the proper solution.

Comment

There was another very old mod that you could loose arms and legs and continue to fight,been too long to remember the name however.
          WARNING
          May be too intense for some viewers.
          Stress Relief Device
          ....BANG HEAD HERE....
          ---------------------------
          .--------------------------

Comment

Killer Quake Pack v2.20z

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
            There was another very old mod that you could loose arms and legs and continue to fight,been too long to remember the name however.

Comment

@Spike:

I tried this code , works very nice , thanks.

I noticed for players its nearly flawless as a .touch function...but for the exploboxes sometimes it said I was on top when I was touching a side. Not that its very important tho.

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
              Looks interesting I will def ck this out. But whats the brackets on that statement do , multiply the vectors together? If someone used an older FrikQcc compiler how would you convert that line?

Comment

Working...
              X