No announcement yet.

dmtx powerup glow and wallhacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's based on the idea of "how long would it take me to double my money with this much compound interest?", although for that question, it looks more like log(2)/log(1.04). I'm not sure what it's called, but a maths teacher showed it to me once, and it's been retained in memory.

The unscientific alternative (but a great way to make sure that your numbers are somewhat accurate) is to repeatedly multiply the number in the second log term by itself repeatedly, until the result passes the first number. I tried this first, but lost count, and then I remembered the log/log trick.

It works with whichever base your logarithms are in (10, e, 2 being the standard ones), just as long as you use the same type for both terms.
    Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
    Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

Comment

Off the top of my head,
      sv_cull_entities 1 only culls player models
      sv_cull_entities 2 culls every entity.

default is 1. So basically wallhackers can still see rl from RA.
      opt 2 is more expensive but modern cpus can handle it.

so, if i was going to make a dirty hack to allow quad/pent holders to glow, also while not allowing their player models to be seen, another approach could be to spawn an entity inside the player (eyes.mdl); either serverside or in quakeC. Give that entity the glow and update it's origin to the player's; and dont forget to remove() it when the player dies.

this would only work for option 1 unless there was a special model we could ignore in the cullentities code.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Your idea should work against pak2 (or does its eyes.mdl have bars, too?), but a person that has a client that draws entities through walls would see the replacement model. If it's as small as a nail, then it's unlikely to be seen, admittedly.

Comment

true, if a hacker knew the name of the model then they could replace it with the shambler
          Maybe just modify the server to send entities that have no model but a special flag.
          We cant just al;low sending of entities without models (or can we?).
          Items for example come to mind. When u pick up an item it doesnt get removed(), it just sets a timer to 'respawn' and all its touch, model, etc functions get updated.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I found that entities without models aren't sent in the network code... thus they can't glow!

Comment

Working...
            X