Orientation of brush models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation of brush models

I am trying to use some custom brush models from "Rubicon Rumble Pack" as replacement for standard id1 models (i.e. ammo boxes and health crates), but they aren't properly aligned when used in original maps.
    I guess this is because the orientation of the RRP models is different, making them clip into walls or at least not assuming the same positions as the original models when not used in RRP maps.

Is there a tool that allows me to edit orientation/origin points of BSP models?
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Try using early versions of quark
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Brush models have an origin point of something like the top, left, bottom corner.

Not the center. Unlike .mdl where the center really is the center (typically). So any size change at all is going to mess them up. Keep in mind they rotate on the top, left, bottom corner too --- which is terrible.

At least this is my guess.

(Accuracy of the above is probably 75-85% range but I think it is "largely" accurate at least in general but I may have 1 or 2 specifics wrong and maybe the axis. Really I'd ask the mappers about that, certainly some of them have tried something like what you are doing.)
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

OK, I have managed to open the BSP in Quark 4.07, the earliest release I was able to download.

It looks like this when opening the model in Quark.

Obviously, the model is centered right now and I need to move it somehow to the right (so that it touches the center line). However, how to do that? When I enter something in the "Move" field, it get a "No selection" error. What is there to select? If I select "worldspawn", it says "Operation now allowed on BSP polygons". It is possible to move the light sources, though (even though that's not what I want).
        Last edited by NightFright; 02-24-2016, 04:47 AM.
        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

@ NightFright
          Usually you have to select the brushes you want to edit in 3D modeling tools first.
          Your error message looks like you did not select anything before trying to edit aka move the model.

Look in the menues for "select all" or something like that. Look in the "Edit" tab first. That is where it is in milkshape 3d. Then you will be able to move it.
          I use QME for those kind of edits.

Good luck.

Comment

Well, I found the .map source files with the help of ijed. With those, it's possible to move the model. However, after compiling it to BSP with QBSP, there are no textures on the models. I moved the whole model with Quark, then saved the .map, then converted with QBSP. Models are then properly aligned ingame, but without texture. They either get lost while saving with Quark or during the QBSP conversion. My guess is the map files require an external wad (probably telefragged.wad from the resource.kit since it is mentioned in the bsp file), and I dunno how to include it...

*UPDATE March 1, 2016*

I figured out how to do it:
            - Using the RRP development kit, I opened the .map files with QuArK, realigned the models and saved them.
            - For proper texture alignment, I opened the files with TrenchBroom afterwards (including the source wad file) and saved them.
            - Compiled .map to .bsp with TyrUtils v0.15.4 (earlier versions caused some lighting issues on some models), using qbsp.exe and light.exe.

The result can be viewed here and will be available for everyone soon.
            Last edited by NightFright; 03-01-2016, 02:00 AM.
            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
            X