Compiling Maps into a Single PAK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling Maps into a Single PAK?

How would one go about taking a few maps and 'bundling' them into a PAK so that they can be played in sequence?

I stumbled across Iikka Keränen's IKSPQ maps the other day. He even made a start map but I've been unable to find an episode containing them.

I thought it might be something, as a luddite, that even I could do.
    I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

If you wanted to put the maps in a .pak file you could use a program such as packscape, but simply placing them all in a .pak file will not make them play in sequence. You need to make the exit of one map call upon the next map. This is done by making a trigger_changelevel in the exit of your map, and in the 'map' field of the entity properties, put the value of the next map that should be loaded. For example, E1M1 has a trigger_changelevel in the ending slipgate with E1M2 in the map field of the entity properties.

As for difficulty levels, I'm not too sure how to do those at the moment, as I'm just getting into mapping, but I'm sure someone one this site will know how to do that.

Happy mapping!

Comment

@skill

trigger_setskill
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Also keep in mind that just having the trigger_changelevel present somewhere in the map is enough to load the next map, without actually touching the trigger. For example, if you make a multiplayer map, and you want to automatically load another multiplayer map upon the end of the match, then just stuff a trigger_changelevel with the upcoming map's name inside a wall or something where players can't even touch it.

This pretty much has zero bearing on a single player map, but if you ever get into DM mapping it's good to know.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Hello Hipnotic Rogue,

First of all, Iikka´s maps already are an episode:
          finishing ikstart will load ikspq1
          finishing ikspq1 will load ikspq2
          finishing ikspq2 will load ikspq3
          ... and so on.

If you want to play a "selfmade" episodes with maps that you chose and normaly do not load each other, you have to be careful:
          You will keep your weapons !

That means, if you jump from 1 level with the supernailgun and rocket launcher to the next, you will most probably shoot grunts with rockets

Therefore, keep in mind how the map designer designed his maps...
          Episode maps, like the original ID1´s for example, have this in mind and set the monsters accordingly.

While the Map_Jam maps for example, even though they have been released together, do not have a start map nor a sequence on purpose. See above.

You have to know that all the rules that have been mentioned by the people who posted above are declared in the gamecode (= progs.dat). As well as the rule for "losing all your weapons" and so on...
          Code:
          if (serverflags)
          {
                     if (world.model == "maps/start.bsp")
                                  SetNewParms ();                         // take away all stuff on starting new episode
          }
          So, mappers have to be aware and know all this. ---> Mappers need to know qc.
          "serverflags" are only set by Runes (or impulse 11 cheat) by the way.

Best wishes,
          Seven

Comment

Working...
          X