No announcement yet.

Qc help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the first time I laughed for that kind of joke.
    No,I'm going to focus on coding instead.Probably an Indian (Muslim) version of you.

@enderandrew
    Oh.OK,I see.I didn't quite understand so you mean you want to map or you want me to recruit someone to map?
    Dude,lets party!
    Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ijazz View Post
      That's the first time I laughed for that kind of joke.
      No,I'm going to focus on coding instead.Probably an Indian (Muslim) version of you.

@enderandrew
      Oh.OK,I see.I didn't quite understand so you mean you want to map or you want me to recruit someone to map?
      What I was suggesting was that you focus on making maps (since a full episode campaign will need several) and maybe you can recruit someone to help you with coding. Perhaps I can do that for you.

It sounds like you need:

* Coding for ladders
      * Coding for new weapons
      * Models for new weapons
      * Models for a new player model
      * Textures for the face in the GUI
      * Maps

It is your mod to do with as you please. I'll offer up my opinion on your proposed weapons in that it looks like you're planning on having several different shotguns. You'd assume in a game that the more weapons you have, all the better. However each weapon should serve a purpose. Weapons that are similiar might serve the same purpose and then the player is wondering why they'd ever use the other weapon. In the base game there is a shotgun and a double shotgun. The double shotgun shoots two shells, so you do more damage, but you're also going through your ammunition twice as fast. AD expands this further with a triple shotgun. I like how Dissolution of Eternity expands the basic weapons in an interesting way with Lava Nails, multiple grenades, multiple rockets, the plasma ball, etc.

Try to put some thought into the extra weapons you want, how they will be different from the base weapons and why a player would want to use them.

Comment

Weapons-Tools Part 1

Idea-

Weapons-
        *Shotgun is now a quick shooting rifle*

Axe
        -Slightly faster than before,deal 35 instead of 20 damage

Chainsaw
        -Chainsaw.Upgraded from Type-Zerstorer to Type-Death
        -Upgraded with more damage and slightly faster attack
        Rifle
        -A shotgun that was turned into a quiet-ish rifle.Fires faster.Less damage.

The Ranger Shotgun(upgrade to Rifle)
        -A real single barrel shotgun.
        -Deals good damage(more bullets)

Double Barrel Shotgun
        -Same gun,slightly faster

Double Death(upgrade to Double Barrel Shotgun)
        -High-powered cannon that force feeds your enemies with lead.
        -Uses 2 shells,but fires slowly and pushes you back a bit

Nail Pistol
        -Crude auto-pistol made by a prisoner in the Falcon prison(episode 2)
        -Fires quickly and is reliable till you get your weapons back

Machine Gun
        -A weapon your senior officer Ranger missed in the Vaults Of Zin(episode 2 but in a destroyed form)
        -Good for weak enemies

Arcane Grenade Launcher
        -Much better than before,the Arcane Grande Launcher was found by Ranger during his travels.It is now standard.
        -Deals more damage and a faster grenade at the cost of firing speed

Rocket Launcher
        -Now with slight homing capability.
        -Fires faster and deals more damage

Plasma Gun(replaces Thunderbolt)
        This weapon was also found and safely retrived while Ranger was in the Arcane Realm.This is one of the two guns safely found
        Dude,lets party!

Comment

Do you want me to send in in a txt file?
          Dude,lets party!

Comment

It's nice to have all these ideas but, you have completely unbalanced the game with all of them. If you really made these changes most of the monsters could not compete with you and the game would not be fun. If you change even one weapon ALL monsters need to be modified and then all weapons need to be modified. Then you may need to go back and modify the monsters again.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              It's nice to have all these ideas but, you have completely unbalanced the game with all of them. If you really made these changes most of the monsters could not compete with you and the game would not be fun. If you change even one weapon ALL monsters need to be modified and then all weapons need to be modified. Then you may need to go back and modify the monsters again.
              Nailed it.

@ijazz

At this stage, you're biting off more than you can chew. Ideas are good, but what's more important is that you focus on learning things first. Gypsy just illustrated one of the MANY issues with modifying a small part of the game. To expand on what changing the weapons will do:

* player model frames will need to correlate with new weapon animations/think times
              * inventory/weapon change impulses/spawn and touch functions have to be correctly altered
              * nearly every function regarding ammo needs to be altered
              * parameter fields need to be updated (to carry new weapons/ammo across maps), which will include encoding/decoding parameters because you'll likely need more than the original 16
              * statusbar textures have to be re-made to correlate to the new weapons
              * on top of all that, you'll need to model, animate, and texture each and every weapon, which is a tremendous learning curve in itself.

I'm seriously not trying to discourage you, it's great that you're enthusiastic about your project. I'm just trying to help you narrow your focus. Start by making one weapon. When you have a workflow for one, move onto the next. It's a great first project, because it forces you to read through/track down different things in different parts of the code.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

@Start by making one weapon.

Start by taking one existing weapon and making one adjustment. Test that adjustment and realize everything else you need to adjust to bring back balance. Make all those adjustments.

Somewhere in the middle of all that realize why people don't mess with the weapons very often and when they do, it's not about changing power and fire rate. One example would be a recent nailgun mod here. The adjustment was kickback. Which made it harder to aim. That also threw off balance of the game but in a way that made it slightly harder for the player with only one weapon that spits out bullets like a double barrel uzi. In other words the grand majority of balance was maintained.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-18-2017, 01:25 AM.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Hey.
                  To anyone who is still here.
                  I'd like to apologize for being a stupid noob.
                  I was super immature at that time,and I still may be a little immature,but I shouldn't have done that super nooby stuff there,not even sending a link to that zip.
                  I've got different plans now.
                  Still developing.After years of work.Rewrites.Copy-paste-adapt-fix.
                  Dude,lets party!

Comment

Hey Ijazz..,

I'm still here, and after reading the toppic you remind me a bit of my own "wannabe" statement I had in the ninetees. Just discovered Quake and having a huge drive from it.
                    Thousand and one ideas to make my own mod and a savage amount of urge to make it my own.
                    Not the slightest idea about qc, only a cranky editor called qmap with no statements at all.

Yes, I will make a new mod, what.., I will make new monsters in it.., no I will make a new pak file with new maps. Let's see how far I can get this mod running.

The good:
                    it encouraged my mapping skills although I hadn't the slightest idea I was mapping far out of grid.
                    I had lots of fun and plenty of time to see that monster grow and I was really blown off by the VR experience my imagination could give.
                    No one warned me my good intentions didn't complied to a standard quake map quality.
                    ​​​​​​

The bad:
                    I didn't see texture mislignements which was a real-pain-in-the-ass at that time.
                    While mapping I became so used to the maps I couldn't foresee a player wouldn't have that attitude.
                    ​​​​​​I was just driven by pure enthousiasm and forgot about logic ergonomic insight.

The ugly,
                    People complaint about the bad and illogical maps and I felt sad I did ever published them.
                    My small ego couldn't stand I did all that work (which was really good fun! ) and was blown off the hill.
                    Nobody had asked for it so why should I care about the given?

My point:
                    Some maps were average, others were trash. One of the most peculiar things are that those maps in nowadays compilers won't even run anymore due to the maximum errors.
                    While I learned to see the errors it made me see the know-how it takes to make a good map.
                    It helped me making new monsters, qc and weapons, before I realised people were nagging me about an off grid texture.

So:
                    I admire your enthusiasm . Really that's the only thing that counts.
                    After all, not having tried is no failure at all.
                    Last edited by Madfox; 10-21-2019, 04:07 AM. Reason: Syntax

Comment

Working...
                    X