Obscure Mapping Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obscure Mapping Facts

This is sort of a perma-thread for weird limitations/caveats in developing a map for Quake. Additions/corrections welcomed! Off-topic chatter discouraged.

Textures Sizes

Textures dimensions must be in multiples of 16. 192 x 120 is not a valid texture size, but 192 x 128 is a valid size.

Fullbrights

GLQuake does not support full-brights. Many newer engines have this implemented: JoeQuake for certain and I believe FitzQuake, aguirRe's Enhanced GLQuake Quake, DarkPlaces. GL ProQuake does not have it. Need to check each engines and Win builds for exact confirmation.

Brush Models

Brush models -- health boxes, ammo boxes, mega health -- are different than other models (armor, weapons) in that they are very simple maps. They do not receive lighting from the map, they internally have their own lighting.

Brush models should not be placed right up next to a wall (get more information on why this is a problem).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Brush model items have their origin at a bottom corner, not the bottom middle. If you use a well-made entity definition file, like the one that comes in the WorldCraft pack that Baker made, then it's obvious...

http://www.quakeone.com/qadapter/
    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

texture name limit of 15 characters
      Last edited by Baker; 08-19-2006, 11:51 PM.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Odd discovery ...

real wall and clip texture = compile
        func_wall and clip texture = no compile
        skippy = doesn't like my map, lol (Tyrann's skip remove utility)

/no invisible barrier that doesn't affect map lighting/vis for me, I guess

Comment

Working...
        X