Music in a Quake map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music in a Quake map

If you wanted to put music in a quake level, but didn't want to just loop a short .wav file, how would you do it?

I'm talking about environmental, positional music, like playing a music file (e.g., an .mp3) when you enter a particular room. I would be willing to use .qc, but am reluctant to do a custom engine mod (I've seen the tutorials, though)

I think fuhquake interfaces with winamp, but that's for quakeworld, no? Is there a popular engine for netquake that plays mp3s?

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
    If you wanted to put music in a quake level, but didn't want to just loop a short .wav file, how would you do it?

I'm talking about environmental, positional music, like playing a music file (e.g., an .mp3) when you enter a particular room. I would be willing to use .qc, but am reluctant to do a custom engine mod (I've seen the tutorials, though)
    Except for the stock ambient noises, any custom sounds/music would have to be done in or added to the QuakeC. At the moment, I can't think of a good open source and faithful single player QuakeC file.

If you examine the standard QuakeC progs 1.06 code, it isn't too hard to figure out how to play .wav files.

Quake inherently does not recognize any sound format files except .wav files as far as I know. I don't know of an engine that supports the mp3 format. The ogg format, which Bank has used for Quake Radios instead of mp3 format, is inherently supported in DarkPlaces (so unless it is a wav file, it is probably going to have to be DarkPlaces ... the only other thing that supports ogg format is Nehahra -- an add-on DLL -- which is supported in DarkPlaces, JoeQuake and Qrack and aguirRe's Nehahra engine.)

The best place to get an experienced answer on implementing this is at one of the following developer IRC channels or at Inside3.com forums.

irc://irc.anynet.org/darkplaces
    irc://irc.anynet.org/qc

I think fuhquake interfaces with winamp, but that's for quakeworld, no? Is there a popular engine for netquake that plays mp3s?
    That feature is user controlled, you can't "do" anything with it on the backend.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

mp3 has been supported for playback in fuhquake variant's. , I've seen the main menu shit for it before. It's not so much that it cant be done,it's probably more like "It hasnt been done yet!" lol
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Yah. I did find the DarkPlaces .ogg feature last night on the Quake Wiki. And I talked to scar3crow a bit on #qc. I figured with something like fuhquake I might do some stuffcmd's, possibly include a playlist. Dunno. I'm just looking for whatever works. At this point I'm going ahead with DarkPlaces.

Thanks, guys.

For posterity:

http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/DP_SND_OGGVORBIS
        http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/DP_SND_FAKETRACKS

Engine mod source for mp3 support:
        http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/.../mp3_quake.txt

Comment

Working...
        X