Server: Filtering vulgarity ... engine side or mod side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server: Filtering vulgarity ... engine side or mod side

Tonight, there was a what a presume to be a father and a son playing at Dredd for a while. Although this occurred after they left, it wasn't long after:

<Frenzy's Brother>: i would have called it SHITTY ****** SANDWICH

What is the best way to filter that kind of crap so it doesn't appear?

<Frenzy's Brother> and Frenzy use the same computer and I think the same way that it is preferable to prevent bots/cheater clients from being able to play, I think it would be preferable to certain things to simply not be able to be said on a server.

Sure a filter wouldn't be 100% perfect, but there are a handful of words that really don't need to be said -- at least at the Dredd server, in my opinion.

I think banning and kicking in Quake have been way over-used historically because the engines and mods have been primitive in ways that I believe other modern games address.

If someone knows there is a filter and willfully uses a novel approach to evade it, you probably address that with the former style of administration but I think a filter that refused to print the message and instead notified the speaker "Please observe the server rules" would be preferable.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Quake is not really a game for kids, is it? Bad mouthing is an essential part of funny deathmatching imo. :>
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

actually ca.clanberries.com had a script filter, cant remember the language it was written in.... that parsed words like f**k and sh*t C**ks**ker etc...

it had about 20 root words.. and would kick you if you say ane one of them more than 3 times...
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

haha I remember that , man it aggrivated me to no end.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
          haha I remember that , man it aggrivated me to no end.
          This post made my day

Comment

Kids love quake, my son comes home from school with 2-5 friends and they all play it. Of course I cant let them go play on the popular servers simply because of the language....A filter would be sweet, if you wanna talk crap goto port 26005 or something

Comment

Your right the popular servers are more of a problem with that. (mumbling that I didn't even know Destroyer was a dad let alone had kids that played ) I think filtering that would be nice as well. But then again, I think if they could do like IRC and other Chat programs and just block seeing that persons chat I would like that more. Your only choice is to see/read it or ignore everyone and look like a bitch.
              www.Net-Tyme.com
              Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
              Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

I don't mind trash talk and don't care about your run of the mills words like shit, fuck, etc.

But some words: *****, ******, ***, ****** and few others have 2 effects:

1. Makes a new player think that the player base is composed of life's losers and gives a really bad impression of the game. You won't be able to grow the player pool if a new player thinks "Man, only low lives play this game!"

2. I feel it reflects badly on the game in general.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

how about a vote-mute option.. so if the majority of the players dont like what a particular player is saying they can vote to mute that player.. (maybe just for like 10 minutes or so)

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
                    how about a vote-mute option.. so if the majority of the players dont like what a particular player is saying they can vote to mute that player.. (maybe just for like 10 minutes or so)
                    CAx when used with Rook's ProQrack server exe (slightly modified ProQuake server, that supports muting and doesn't crash if the server doesn't have the map, LordHavoc's grenade bounce fix and possibly other enhancements), which both Rage and Dredd are using, has admin-mute.

Muting a player is an active administration act and doesn't prevent anything, and muting a player that's goal isn't to cause problems is overkill.

And player voted administration has never worked in Quake. Vote-kick has always been misused and vote-mute would not work either.

A simple filter on probably less than 10 words would do the trick.

Comment

The mute only causes it to cease, not prevent it.

Id be fine with a simple thing to either not broadcast a message with certain terms, or censor it - Im reminded of the issue of DJQuake with its profanity filter and replacer "you ADORABLE PUPPY i hope you BALLOONS in HEAVEN you BEAUTIFUL AND UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE" or something of the sort.

The question is how to technically administer it... And the repercussions of the matter... Personally I say, have the filter on, if they evade it and it bothers other players, have vote-mute as an option.

I will say that the only time my mother objected to my brother or I playing Quake as kids was a guy who had a racial slur in his name in TF - to which my brother responded "I cant do anything about it, its him, not the game. Hes on the other team, I can shoot him more if you want."

I dont know enough about how netmessages go through Quake from client to server to client to have a clue on how to execute this.
                      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

I think the #quake1 channel on irc.gamesurge.net is mostly a disgrace to quake players. Almost all the time I'm looking over there, they are arguing about something stupid like little kids. They also like insulting each other of course with all of the curse words thrown in.

I don't know about a chat filter actually working, since you could probably just bypass it by altering the forming of the word. Like for fuck, you could type "fuhck", or "fuk" or another varied spelling.

guy who had a racial slur in his name in TF - to which my brother responded "I cant do anything about it, its him, not the game. Hes on the other team, I can shoot him more if you want."
                        That got my parents worried about quake also. I would usually have to bring up the console or game menu when they walked by to avoid someone cursing, a vulgar name, or a possible blast of cursing from the other players.

Comment

I'm sure most would agree with Baker. A language (and possibly player) filter seems a sensible option imho. If it's server side then the server admins can (hopefully) control the level of bad language they wish to allow on thier server. A list of aliases could also be fun (imagine if "I'm gonna f*ck you up" was output as "I'm gonna give you a big wet kiss on the bottom" or "MuthaF*cker" became "Melon Farmer" etc etc - hours of fun and kind of takes the point out doing it if the exact opposite is the result) . It would be a useful feature to add it in to engines (cough, *Qrack*, cough) also. That way the more sensitive players can customise it to suit thier needs. Personally I have little alternative but just turn console off on the odd ocassions I play at shmack.

Perhaps an 'ignore player' feature might not be a bad idea also.

Just my to cents worth

Mr.B

(Example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6CuC-w6i4)
                          Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-12-2007, 05:17 AM.
                          Mr.Burns
                          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            I think the #quake1 channel on irc.gamesurge.net is mostly a disgrace to quake players
                            That is why there isn't a IRC link here

As great as it would be to have an IRC link to a Quake players channel, "normal people" would visit the IRC channel and immediately form a very negative opinion of the game.

I think that is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                            X