"SynQ" Pre-Release Testing Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "SynQ" Pre-Release Testing Version

Here is a pre-release of -- what for now I'll just call "SynQ" but that isn't going to be the final name.

This can play on any Quake server for free and this is early version I am making available for testing or playing around with or feedback. For anyone who hasn't paid attention, it is also legal, it uses the id Software map sources they released last year and is a total conversion.

It is going to be full GPL 2.0, an open source license for all of it.

Download: SynQ EZ Installer - 22.2 MB
    Download: SynQ Zip File - 29.7 MB

Other stuff: Readme.txt, Source Files not in the above

It does need work, but it is a start. Hopefully I can retexture DM3 and DM6 sometime in the near future and take a look at the sounds.

You can download either the EZ Installer or the Zip file and immediately play on any non-ProQuake cheat-free server.

For DM type of stuff, it is mostly ok at this point. For coop or something with monsters, it is weird and I absolutely don't recommend it for that.

The above zips include DarkPlaces. Tested and works fine with JoeQuake 0.15 and Qrack, and if you removed the pak2.pak will also work with JoeQuake 0.14.

Can't work with ProQuake, ProQuake doesn't support total conversions and will think you are not using registered Quake.

Other things and can and cannot do, see the readme.txt.

I did not include some things that I used in earlier tests because they aren't compatible with the GPL 2.0 license agreement.

Specifically, Plague's Pak weapon models, the Dox axe and some other sounds. I may have this be a non-GPL add-on or maybe not. Haven't decided.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Add: Future versions of this will come with Qrack and JoeQuake 0.15 in addition to DarkPlaces, but this one doesn't because I wasn't sure how to solve an issue with bundled menu elements that are incompatible with an "id Software-free" total conversion.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

great stuff Baker!!

Comment

Its about time. Nice!

Comment

Awesome! its still going to need ALOT of work put into it! this is just the very beginning!

I liked being able to connect to one of LordHavoc's servers and it downloaded the models and maps on the fly, on a NON-QW server!

We gunna party like its 1996!
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

How come your download links point to quake-1.com rather than quakeone.com? Just curious to see that...
            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

First thoughts: Ack, to some of the sounds, and Ack, to most of the models (the shotgun, single barrel, is suspiciously well done... Id almost keep it in personal choice). Some of the sounds are just odd, but I know youre gathering from GPL sources so thats just a matter of selection... Maybe some could be recorded (a Qake soundpack would be most good sir).

Outside of a browser, aka within notepad, those text files have terrible formatting and are damn hard to read =)

Originally posted by Baker
              Add: Future versions of this will come with Qrack and JoeQuake 0.15 in addition to DarkPlaces,
              Not to be rude to the other engines... but... why? DP matches with the project in that it is the furthest away from the original id code of all the engines (from what LordHavoc has told me, he could take a month and have DP be a completely independent engine that merely supports and feels like Quake). I cant tell if youre interested in reaching a QW audience, but if you are, and can overcome the checksums dilemma, DP would be the obvious choice for its support, so SynQ users would never encounter this divide, but merely play Quake.

In the future, once DP is in a spot you want specifically for this project, get a custom version that... Jumps right to the player config or such, and otherwise just has the Options menu, Multiplayer menu and console. Maybe an Ordering section where it points you to idsoftware.com if you want to buy a full version of Quake. Just an idea.

Comment

!
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

woops, I'll stick with my ProQuake
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
                    In the future, once DP is in a spot you want specifically for this project, get a custom version that... Jumps right to the player config or such, and otherwise just has the Options menu, Multiplayer menu and console. Maybe an Ordering section where it points you to idsoftware.com if you want to buy a full version of Quake. Just an idea.
                    I've thought about that :d

Not to be rude to the other engines... but... why? DP matches with the project in that it is the furthest away from the original id code of all the engines (from what LordHavoc has told me, he could take a month and have DP be a completely independent engine that merely supports and feels like Quake).
                    I picked DarkPlaces to be the engine in the first release because, like you said, DarkPlaces is built to be an independent engine and does not come with bundled graphics and other things that are essentially modified id Software content.

But other engines will be included because the goal of this isn't to decide what engine you have to use. The user should be able to decide that.

I cant tell if youre interested in reaching a QW audience, but if you are, and can overcome the checksums dilemma, DP would be the obvious choice for its support, so SynQ users would never encounter this divide, but merely play Quake.
                    The checksum thing in QW is an obstacle but when this project matures, the map files will remain stable so those checksums can be added to Quakeworld servers.

Quakeworld has this issue with any recompiled id Software maps.

First thoughts: Ack, to some of the sounds, and Ack, to most of the models (the shotgun, single barrel, is suspiciously well done... Id almost keep it in personal choice). Some of the sounds are just odd, but I know youre gathering from GPL sources so thats just a matter of selection...
                    Done first; perfect later. :d I agree with you.

How come your download links point to quake-1.com rather than quakeone.com? Just curious to see that...
                    That's where the files in the downloads section here are stored on a cheap account with a lot of bandwidth and storage space. :d
                    Last edited by Baker; 04-25-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

First thought, having a wide array of binaries may seem like choice to us - but for getting new people, may seem daunting. *shrugs*

Though I hear DP doesnt work that well in Vista during multiplayer for some reason... but that is going to be looked into soon.

After summarizing SynQ:
                      Originally posted by John Romero
                      cool

Comment

SynQ first release is not completely ID free ...

So, I played around with this for a bit and it is a good start. However, I noticed on the Quake 'Start' map it still has references to ID Software. If you try to go to other episodes outside of the shareware one they are locked via 'Gates' and when you walk up close to them they say 'You do not have the registered version of Quake ... Please call 1800-xxxxxxxxx to contact ID Software to get the registered version' or something along those lines.

I just thought I would let you know since you don't want any ID references in this.

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh View Post
                          So, I played around with this for a bit and it is a good start. However, I noticed on the Quake 'Start' map it still has references to ID Software. If you try to go to other episodes outside of the shareware one they are locked via 'Gates' and when you walk up close to them they say 'You do not have the registered version of Quake ... Please call 1800-xxxxxxxxx to contact ID Software to get the registered version' or something along those lines.

I just thought I would let you know since you don't want any ID references in this.
                          I noticed that too. It slipped thru map compiling and is on my todo list. :d

Comment

Very nice Baker !
                            Played a bit around with it and I liked very mutch.
                            1 small thingy , in dm6 the port to LG did not make any sound.
                            My servers for the gamers:
                            bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                            port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                            Offline ATM
                            fvf.servequake.com
                            flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                            Offline ATM
                            newdm.servequake.com
                            port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                            sigpic

Comment

I will certainly be playing around with this. Here's what I can say so far:
                              1. No monsters in single player mode
                              2. The graphics look like a mix of Qrack with the Quake Retex Project and some generic game from 1994 - pure olive green walls in start, etc...
                              3. I vispatched it, and the game got completely fucked, it looked like playing Unreal on those dark DM maps. Probably doesn't need fixed because the majority of players will be teenagers sitting at mom and dad's dell dimension 4000 or something.
                              4. Works on shmack. Always a plus.

An idea - Would it be legal to use the Quake Retexturing Project textures in this game instead of the generic olive green walls? That would certainly attract the attention of 99% of America's teenagers who say: Wow, look at those grahpics!!

*P.S.: maybe synQ users should make a clan: SQ - synQuakers

VERY nice for pre-release beta.
                              Last edited by foq; 04-26-2007, 09:41 PM.
                              e|------------------------0---------------
                              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                              A|---------------0------------------------
                              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X