Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SYNQ: (B) Brush Models (aka ammo/health boxes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYNQ: (B) Brush Models (aka ammo/health boxes)

Quake Remodelling Project health box retexture example (intended to be faithful):

An experimental SynQ healthbox retexture:

B. Brush Model Retexturing

In Quake, there are 2 types of map items:

1. Actual models: weapon models, armor, quad, ring, pent, suit
    2. Brush Models: ammo boxes, health boxes, exploding boxes (like on E1M1)

Brush models are mostly in pak0.pak (use Pakscape to explore) in the maps folder. Yes, the maps folder!

Brush models are actually maps and the sources were GPL'd like the rest of the Quake maps. You compile them just like a map with qbsp or another map compiler. They have the texture inside, just like a map.

And after compiling them, you light them just like a map! Did you ever notice that health boxes/ammo boxes and such are fully visible even in the darkest parts of a map and are unaffected by shadows?

Brush models have their own lighting. In fact, this is one of the reasons that using an .md3 replacement model for brush models can be annoying because an .md3 is treated by the engines as a regular model and can be obscured in shadows.

Like maps, brush models are inherently limited to the 256 color Quake palette and the textures must be put in a WAD file for compiling using TexMex or another WAD editor.

And like maps, you can use 24-bit replacement textures put in c:\quake\id1\textures in newer engines to have better looking and higher resolution brush models. To find out the names, you can use bsp2wad to extract the texture names, but really it would just be easier to download, for example, this replacement set (it is a pk3, Pakscape can open it) which is already in .tga format to look at the names.

Like maps, brush models can have animated textures in them and, in fact, many of them do. Textures beginning with a +0somename are the start of a sequence where the next one is +1somename and so forth.

A list of the brush models:

B_BATT0.MAP - Small cells box for lightning gun
    B_BATT1.MAP - Large cells box for lightning gun
    B_BH10.MAP - "Rotten" health box that gives you 15 health
    B_BH100.MAP - Mega health
    B_BH25.MAP - Regular health box
    B_EXBOX2.MAP - Little exploding box like on E2M1 (pak1.pak!)
    B_EXPLOB.MAP - Big exploding box like on E1M1
    B_NAIL0.MAP - Small nails box (25 nails?)
    B_NAIL1.MAP - Larger nails box (50 nails? 40?)
    B_ROCK0.MAP - Small rockets box (5 rockets)
    B_ROCK1.MAP - Large rockets box (10 rockets)
    B_SHELL0.MAP - Small shotgun shells box (25 shells)
    B_SHELL1.MAP - Large shotgun shells box (50 shells)
    Hardly one of the biggest challenges in the SynQ project, but nevertheless, one of the components of the "SynQ" project. The brush models in SynQ must be the same size as the originals, but they can be altered in a map editor so that, say, the textures aren't reversed on the opposite sides.

Brush models support bump mapping via external textures, of course.
    Last edited by Baker; 05-01-2007, 10:19 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

That health box reminds me of battlefield 2142, hah
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
    X