Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Radiant is a very good idea if you ever fancy mapping for any other id-related games.

Quake 3
    Quake 4
    Doom 3

Radiant is the ticket.

Radiant is also crossplatform. Map on Linux? Choices: Quest, Radiant.

Radiant isn't harder to use than something like Quest (the two are actually somewhat similar, heh). After getting Radiant set up for Quake, it's an evening of tinkering or two, and you're off.

I'm finding Radiant very comfortable for a number of things.

The main obstacle with Radiant is learning basic keyboard shortcuts; just like with Blender. It's no comparison when it comes to complexity though, Radiant is far easier to use than Blender.

I'll post something about setting up Radiant for Linux here soonish.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Dukagora View Post
      I didnt see a link to Worldcraft tutorials. Are any tutorials for Worldcraft 3.3 available?
      I'm using Radiant to make Quake maps but I used WC to build maps for HalfLife. If you don't find any proper tutorials for Quake, just use the HL tutorials. All the basic stuff you'll need itb (like creating brushes and placing textures) is the same, only the more complex entities (trains, elevators, ...) differ. Simple entity stuff like placing player starts, lights and weapons is almost identical too.
      dfsp*spirit
      my FPS maps

Comment

Good points, indeed...just too used to the newer editors for other games, that going back to Quake mapping just doesn't feel the same to me anymore. I have WC 1.6, and since I've started using Hammer for CS:S, the controls for WC 1.6 just don't seem to have the same flair as newer versions of WC/Hammer. Just got too used to the W,S,A,D movement that moving around in WC 1.6 just...just can't move around as easily anymore, guess I'll have to find the original WC tutorials somewhere, and reacquaint myself with these older versions.
        sigpic
        Current Project: Quake Texture Pack for UT3/UDK

Comment

Hmm...I cant get worldcraft 1.6a to work on my computer...
          So, fuck Worldcraft i'll use radiant

Comment

this thread is pretty useful thanks man.

Comment

Worldcraft doesnt work on 62-bit systems !!!! :c
              Gentlemen. Good news in the war against the Strogg. A lone marine battled through enemy lines and killed the Strogg's leader, the Makron. He's also disabled the planetary defence guns, so it's a ground-pounder's war from here on in. General Harper wants us to clear out a landing site for a mobile communications center and -
              [the dropship is hit by a missile]

Comment

Originally posted by Quake.exe View Post
                Worldcraft doesnt work on 62-bit systems !!!! :c
                You meant 64-bit I'm sure. You might try this:

Quake Adapter for Worldcraft 3.3

No promises. I have no idea if it works right on 64-bit Windows.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Wow, another qED user? I know the exact book you're talking about, 8IronBob. I lost it long ago, but I still use qED today thanks to it. I tried a few q1 editors over the years, but none let me do what I want with groups like qED... It must have been ahead of it's time becuase it would take minutes to open on my Pentium II.

I found the fullware version of qED in a bargain bin long ago, and I even downloaded the updates before the company went kaput. Perhaps I remember a qED II for Q2, now that you mention it.

qED writes .map files, so if you have map build tools that compile a .map to a q3 bsp, you could still use qED. Newer build tools have more options than qED provides in the build window, so I made a batch file with the same name as qbsp.exe (and renamed the exe) that calls the map compilers with whatever options I want to use.

In the end, since there's no support, I can't really recommend qED... so stick with what the others have recommended.

Comment

So I'm using Worldcraft 3.3 with the Quake Adaption and I'm having trouble placing doors. I don't have func_door in my Class list. The only function I have is func_illusionary2. Is there anything I should download or change in the settings?

EDIT: God, I'm sorry. I figured it out. I didn't know you had to make a brush to an entity. I was just creating an entity and trying to change it as you would a weapon or enemy.

EDIT 2: I don't want to double post so I'll just edit this post. I got the door working, but my door texture is really off. Is there a way to align it a certain way? This just looks silly.
                    Last edited by Drummaniac17; 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummaniac17 View Post
                      EDIT 2: I don't want to double post so I'll just edit this post. I got the door working, but my door texture is really off. Is there a way to align it a certain way? This just looks silly.
                      I'm sure there is... but I don't know WC. So I'll just plug the map editor I used way back in the day and it still rocks: BSP. Full tutorials on the site: BSP Headquarters

This includes how to align/resize textures directly in 3d view.

As an FYI the original author of BSP (Yahn Bernier) moved onto Valve and is still working there AFAIK. He's credited on Portal 2.

Comment

For all of the aspiring map makers out there, I ran across this while looking up design stuff. Pretty good read.

TerraFusion

Comment

I am new at mapping so ithink you should know it helped ALOT

Comment

I would love to make a Quake map, i make maps for other games in Hammer editor, Dod, CS etc and it would be sooo easy to make a quake map, if it wasent for that you cant navigate around in Worldcraft with the mouse? That makes everything that much harder and more time consuming. Is there no way to navigate with the mouse in the older versions of Worldcraft? ;(

Sry for bad english.

Comment

Ok, I wanna map some... yeah, like you haven't heard that ten thousand times!!!

I had an idea as a "test/showcase your mod" feature map(s) and well, it will help me learn again some tools before I'd make a map proper.

This thread is pretty old but basically still relevant but I would like to ask tools advice, for this day and age.

I have Worldcraft 3.3 with Quake Adapter setup, R00k posted a link to BSP which I downloaded, installed and ran. They're both loaded on Win7.

I use to use QERAdiant way back when... so on 'nix I installed "GtkRadiant-1.6-Linux-x86_64-20121007" which I have no clue how to make work with Quake(1).

It complicates it a little dual booting but I'm trying to break off of Windows as I don't like the direction they're heading in now. Walled gardens and all Plus PinguyOS is just the shIZnit man.

Now, beyond editors, what are the most recommended/compatible light, vis, and bsp tools to use?

I know these things have been asked a ton but man, there's alot of info and tools and VERSIONS out there.

So, without asking anyone to spend a ton of time holding my hand, as I have a grasp partially, just give me a quick and dirty lowdown of the tool sets you like, and maybe how to set those up if need be(special instructs).

Thanks in advance,
                              - damage_inc

P.S.
                              Keep in mind these maps won't be designed with to much in the way of super duper special effects, just some nice architecture, basic lighting and stuff.
                              Colored too, myabe. I've used the MHcolour exe but don't know what's required editing wise or if it just works with all maps.

I played Arcane(AWESOME map), and then "colored" it and played again.
                              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

One more, directory structure... so far I remember

Quake/
                                ------id1/maps
                                ---------/progs
                                ---------/sound
                                ---------/textures

Are those it?
                                Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X