Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help starting a quake server on linux (no xwindows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help starting a quake server on linux (no xwindows)

Well I have a few machines racked in a nice facility with some real bandwidth that I can use up. I got quakepro and attempted to start up the server, but it keeps crying about libvga. Obviously these machines are servers, not desktops, so thats a problem haha.

Anyone have any experience running a quake server on a linux machine with no xwindows?

Thanks in advance!

Find a way to install svgalib I guess :/

Comment

If anyone can post step by step instructions on how to do this for Ubuntu, I'm sure the gods will look down upon them with praise and splendor.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
        Find a way to install svgalib I guess :/
        Absolutely not. No way. Period. hahah The proquake server on windows even runs in a command prompt window, there should be no need for any graphics libraries unless I'm ENTIRELY mistaken for some goofy reason.

I dont want to install anything that even reminds me of xwindows on my server haha

Comment

i think this thread may help..

Comment

To host a quake server without any libraries. Your best bet might be running a linux darkplaces server and have sv_protocolname "QUAKE"; in your server's autoexec.cfg file.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplac...ne20071120.zip

The original linux proquake is poop and hasn't aged well.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              If anyone can post step by step instructions on how to do this for Ubuntu, I'm sure the gods will look down upon them with praise and splendor.
              I've uploaded my modified proquake (3.50) source to:

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/bca1c83633_3.77MB

Just download it, unpack it and type:

./configure
              make unixded

and it should make the unixded binary. The libraries it depends on are:

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
              libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0xb7f33000)
              libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f2e000)
              libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7dff000)
              /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f77000)

so no graphical libraries required.

Side note: to make the GL and X11 clients as well as the unixded server just type "make" in the second step
              "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by mithril View Post
                so no graphical libraries required.
                Now that's what I'm talking about!

Great job :d

/I know this will make my life a lot easier so I can make a Linux server binary.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yeah the original Makefile distributed with ID's quake source didn't provide a way to compile unixded. The proquake author never added that capabilitity either, so frankly its a mystery to me how people even compiled all the PQ servers that are currently running.

Baker if you want to add that unixded target to your 3.9x proquake, just copy the configure.ac and Makefile.am files into your source tree, then type "aclocal ; automake ; autoconf" to generate the makefile. If you added or deleted any of the source files you may have to tweak Makefile.am a bit.
                  "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Yeah the original Makefile distributed with ID's quake source didn't provide a way to compile unixded. The proquake author never added that capabilitity either, so frankly its a mystery to me how people even compiled all the PQ servers that are currently running.

Baker if you want to add that unixded target to your 3.9x proquake, just copy the configure.ac and Makefile.am files into your source tree, then type "aclocal ; automake ; autoconf" to generate the makefile. If you added or deleted any of the source files you may have to tweak Makefile.am a bit.
                    Youre awesome. Seriously haha. Baker, do what the man says! I got a box all ready, and plenty of bandwidth. I want to help Quake not fade away by starting another quality server. Hook it up and get the linux version goin, I will test it out for ya if youd like.

I did get a server running with the advice I found in this thread, so thank you to everyone who had some input! Obviously I would rather the latest proquake vs the outdated version I am now running.

Comment

Originally posted by mavness View Post
                      I did get a server running with the advice I found in this thread, so thank you to everyone who had some input! Obviously I would rather the latest proquake vs the outdated version I am now running.
                      Baker's latest proquake is windows only at the moment, so 3.50 is the latest you can run on linux.

Comment

This is true.

However, this will greatly ease my ability to make a Linux version. And especially this will keep me from going insane when I go to do it.

Comment

Baker's latest proquake is windows only at the moment, so 3.50 is the latest you can run on linux.
                          I realize that, thats why I told him to get to work on the linux version in the sentence above the one you quoted lol

Comment

Originally posted by mavness View Post
                            I realize that, thats why I told him to get to work on the linux version in the sentence above the one you quoted lol
                            :d

Well, from what I've gathered, Baker's changes primarily affect the client not the server, though I think he mentioned he's planning to work on changing the network protocol a bit. So I think the 3.50 server is pretty much the same as the 3.9x version.

Comment

except for the anti-wall-hack stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X