Change the default skins for TW mod in ez-quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change the default skins for TW mod in ez-quake

A group of old Thunderwalker players are getting together for weekly TW games in what we're calling TW Revival. We've got everything running quite nicely with ez-quake, and I'm tweaking some things to update stuff.

In particular I want to upgrade the skins. By default, if you don't go in and touch the ez-quake skin settings, TW uses the skins in \ctf\SKINS\ folder, called Twblue.pcx and Twred.pcx. These are low-res pcx files using the 256 color pallet.

Now I've found some nice high res red and blue .png skins that DO work with ez-quake, when you manually set the teamskin and enemy skin to them. They look great and they are exactly what I want. However, when you set enemyskin to blue.png and teamskin to red.png, well that's no good if you are on the blue team right!

So what I need to figure out how to do is some how alter the game or the mod so that I can change wherever it is that the default skins are set, and set them to these new high res png files.

I have no idea how to do this. If you guys could give me a hand or point me in the right direction (even in the direction of another forum somewhere out there if this isn't the best place to be asking about this?) then that would be awesome.

Thanks!

You'll probably have better luck with posting that question in the clients forum @ quakeworld.nu, which it looks like you've done.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by bludshot View Post
      In particular I want to upgrade the skins. By default, if you don't go in and touch the ez-quake skin settings, TW uses the skins in \ctf\SKINS\ folder, called Twblue.pcx and Twred.pcx. These are low-res pcx files using the 256 color pallet.

Now I've found some nice high res red and blue .png skins that DO work with ez-quake, when you manually set the teamskin and enemy skin to them. They look great and they are exactly what I want. However, when you set enemyskin to blue.png and teamskin to red.png, well that's no good if you are on the blue team right!
      My instinct says just call them TWblue.png and TWred.png and see what happens. The alternative is to make a pair of scripts so that you can change the teamskin/enemyskin settings correctly.

I've always been curious about what TW was like, as I rediscovered Quake only recently, and never got a chance to play it. The name does sound really cool, though. Any chance you could try and explain what it's all about?
      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Well my knowledge of traditional Q1 ctf (threewave and stuff?) is very limited so, I don't know exactly what is different from regular ctf, but, ThunderWalker is like this:

- Harpoon gun instead of hook, and it's very fast so you can use it in trickier faster ways

- Weapons are: axe, Airfist (like in Painkeep I believe), gun (lol), dual wield of the same gun, lazer gun, super nail gun, GL, RL, sniper rifle.

- uses the maps in the AllStar CTF package, which includes regular ctf maps plus extra twctf maps.

- has 8 runes: living armor, regeneration, haste, strength, cloaking, Resistance, Protection, Vampirism.

- balanced weapons, specifically the RL is a lot less damaging so that all the guns come into play (and especially so, when different guns work better against different rune holders and stuff)

Anyhow, it's a ton of fun and extremely fast (which does take some getting used to.) If you want to check it out, this is where the revival project is based out of: http://twctf.kreativesin.com/forums/

(sry, not trying to make this like an ad or anything )

Comment

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
          My instinct says just call them TWblue.png and TWred.png and see what happens. The alternative is to make a pair of scripts so that you can change the teamskin/enemyskin settings correctly.
          Awesome! That worked! I put my new skins in there as Twblue.png and Twred.png, and I deleted all the other skins (I'm quite sure it would not have worked if I had left the pcx files in there). I had tried renaming the pngs, blowing up the pcx's, etc, but not this. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X