A New CA Server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New CA Server?

Im willing to help host a CA server for you guys. I know where I can get it hosted and it will cost me about $75 quarterly. I can get it hosted from Chicago.

We will try starting without any admin. Lets see how it goes, what do ya say fellas? My budget is tight, so I need some help, I am gladly accepting any donations via PayPal to keep the server going. You guys just give me the word and a copy of the CA mod, and the server can be up and running.

I included a link in my signature which you can use to make a donation.
    Hmmm. Maybe I didnt. Here it is anyways.

http://www.geocities.com/newcaserver/New_CA_Server.html
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by MDerteau; 04-02-2008, 11:09 PM. Reason: No Signature

The speaknow admin situation has basically turned into rage right before it died. I for one would welcome a new server. For the love of all that is sacred in this world, please never give Yellow5 admin on your server. Ever.
    "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by MDerteau View Post
      We will try starting without any admin.

Comment

I think Dreadful said the same thing in the beginning
        "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Im not Dreadful And if donations are being made it is, in logic, everyones server. I will not be the "decision maker" or the "key holder".
          Last edited by MDerteau; 04-02-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I voted yes. I believe it could work, and we could always use more servers. I think it would need some form of order though. But maybe if the community is helping to pay for the server they will have more respect for it and treat it and others on it kindly.
            But, who knows, maybe in all actuality the CA community doesn't care to have what they cry for most.
            Could go either way I suppose.

And I use the word "Cry" Figuratively.
            SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
            [email protected]
            AIM - EMHof1

Comment

*COUGH*

after 3 posts he wants donations?

> > > [] < < <
              insert coin here!

If you really wanted to bolster the community,(as most flies linger where the shit is), you should create a league of sorts.
              Some people ping great a Rage and some better at speaky, etc...
              Let people who ping better play at those servers, and create a weekly match; 1 game per server best of 3....

during the week people can practice freely at the server/map of their choice...

eh?

this corresponds with the "pldown 3 thread" do we need a 12 player server thats not FFA?! would any one consider a 4 on 4 on 4 CLAN MATCH??! then why funnel to 1 server simply cause everyone is there??

I am considering wiping the ban.cfg at rage, simply because its useless nonsense. I havent seen a case where a bot has been used, that deserves a perm ban. It was mostly a diarrhea of the mouth ban...
              Last edited by R00k; 04-03-2008, 01:32 AM.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

It wont work,everything must have some moderation in a community where you have third grade mentalities,and CA has an abundance of this.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

also, something else, doesnt anyone find it a little bit creepy that this guys avatar looks like it was scanned out of some magazine or some shit

as well, R00k said it first ,and I'll reiterate... from what I gather,this guy falls into the category of "Who is that?" , 3 post's and is asking for donations.Sounds like a scam artist , I mean cmon, I would trust Omicron before I would some one I've never heard of. And it seems awfully convenient that this guy shows up after a heated post that was relevant to what he is offering. It's like one of those junk mail shit you get in your mailbox , "I made 500,000 US DOLLARS IN 1 MONTH , and now im willing to SHARE MY TECHNIQUE WITH YOU,FOR ONLY 4 EASY PAYMENTS OF $99.95. THIS IS TIME SENSITIVE,THIS OFFER WONT LAST LONG.WE'VE INCLUDED A PRE-PAID RETURN ENVELOPE FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE!

I hope no one signs up for something like this,atleast not until a well-known community member steps up to the plate to take on this idea.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Yes, I have only made three posts. Quite a few people that play quake dont tend to the forums. For what Rook said we can take the majority vote on such issues. Or if administrators are truly needed, who do you guys think should an administrator? As for the scam part, yea, you got me there, 75 dollars every three months, that one hell of a scam. Im not looking for large sums from any one person. Maybe just 5 - 10 dollars from a couple players to help out. If you don't believe me I will get the server running today to prove to you that I am legit. And yes, mind, it is awfully convenient that I showed up after the things going on at the only two CA servers we have. Thats the point, I mean, thats kinda what brought me here to present this idea.

BTW my picture is a random pic of some jerk from a search on google images.

Comment

Ironically I was suggested that I switch (Chicago) roots.quakeone.com over to CAX.

Seeing the need for an alternative I will goahead and create an alternative CAX server by sacrificing the FFA DM server.

I'm sure almost everyone who has seen me admin will agree I don't setup servers for the "power rush" I actually have a life, am married and have more important things to do then sit around and pick on people.

Anyway, I apologize for kind of temporarily hijacking your thread MDerteau. But I honestly don't see a community driven server working out. Everyone has their own idea of how something should be.

This diesn't even work in theory.
                      The community pays, so whos supposed to get admin? thats a big problem.

QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

it is awfully convenient that I showed up after the things going on at the only two CA servers we have.
                        We have more then 2 CAX servers.

Speaknow, Bomber, Dredd, Rage and now Roots

Noones going to take you seriously if you sound like an idiot. Just saying
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

How does that make me sound like an idiot?

Comment

Some servers have run for years without any real administration. If someone bots, prove it with a demo or gripe in the forum.

That being said, the presence of at least some administration helps.

Most of the CA "trouble" involves ... you know, that foulest of all offenses ... umm ... talking or a player that joins a game in progress without finishing it.

Really, I'd recommend giving admin to Rampage and Omicron and see what happens. If it were a mistake, you could always change your mind. By giving admin to players who are unhappy with the status quo, it gives them a stake in the success of an alternative.

Most players just look for a place to play where they feel welcomed and have low ping.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

What baker said: Interesting balance of power idea.. (even Dr. Evil has a headquarters).

MDerteau: I think what Miindz means by a scam is what happens if you get > $75 per month are you gonna have a kegger and give everyone a t-shirt?
                              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                              X