Compiling on a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling on a Mac

It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.

Actually, it was more of a challenge getting the compile stuff to work.

Mac OS/X has a development environment called XCode available for free. It wasn't installed by default (aggravation #1, I'm looking where it is supposed to be and Googling for how to start it, haha). It wasn't on the installation DVD (aggravation #2 ... liars!). It was on the 2nd installation CD.

I had to install XCode and then the compile failed because GCC 3.3 wasn't installed so I had to go back and do that and I accidentally reinstalled XCode (takes about 30 minutes and you can't cancel as far as I can tell).

Finally I got GCC 3.3 installed and opened Wood's Mac ProQuake project and clicked build and then copied it to my Quake folder and ran it for a test drive and it seems to run fine.

I don't know the priority of playing around with a Mac build versus some of the other Quake stuff I want to do, but I suspect tomorrow I'll start playing around and at least some of the easier to implement bug-fixed/enhancements that I did for ProQuake 3.99. Considering that I don't have to use the Mac to edit the code and much of it is operating system neutral, this seems rather likely.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Usually " Command + . " will cancel an operation.

Actually this thread is helpful because, I was just thinking today what I could do if I knew how to edit a quake engine. I'm not all that great at editing anything, but I might give it a go! Where can I get the source for the Quake Mac Port?
    SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
    [email protected]
    AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadful View Post
      Where can I get the source for the Quake Mac Port?
      Here is the source for the version of the Mac ProQuake Woods made.

http://www.quake-1.com/files/sourcec...PortSource.zip
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I discovered why the MacProQuake can't exceed 72 FPS. The frame code has 72 hardcoded in it instead of using pq_maxfps.

Comment

WHAT!? Are you serious!? =\ I knew my computer was better than that...

So.... You're fixing that, right?

Fix that and release your very first mac port! Yay!
          Last edited by Dreadful; 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM.
          SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
          [email protected]
          AIM - EMHof1

Comment

WHAT!? Are you serious!? =\ I knew my computer was better than that...

So.... You're fixing that, right?
            I loaded up DarkPlaces on my Mac and got 160-200 FPS, so yeah.

Don't worry, I have Mac ProQuake 3.99 about 60% done.

Comment

Interesting how Xcode on OS X likes to put the full directory names and source file names on my Mac into the binary.

No one wonder security exploits are so rampant in the world today. I'm going to have to figure out some way to compile that doesn't give someone a guided tour of my hard drive including my USERNAME to log into my machine.

Sheesh!

Comment

lol!

Comment

Likely, your solution will involve not using Xcode...
                  16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                  16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

After further investigation, it isn't really XCode but Objective-C files that appear to be doing this. Every .m file has the entire source file path in the binary.

As far as I know, compiling an executable without any .m files is impossible because those are the Mac specific operating system source files (input, video, etc.)

With every programming language, I always open the binary files in an editor the first few times using it to check to see what types of undesireable crap it puts in the binaries.

Speaking of privacy and security, I learned the other day that Adobe Flash Player has "flash cookies". Just when you thought setting browser settings to deny cookies from 3rd party sites was enough. This kind of thing, Flash cookies, can surely penetrate even internet anonymizing services because Flash player would operate outside the scope of those services.

Comment

I'm wondering if this wouldn't make a half-way decent slashdot.org article.

If I emailed Apple about this, they'd just blow me off. Surely I'm not the first person to discover this.

I will say I'm rather annoyed that my username was in the binary. Then someone shifty who either managed to guess my password or obtain it via some other means could FTP in my Mac if they had my ip address, which isn't particularly hard to obtain the way that internet works anymore with every email, IRC client, IM client, IRC client web archived log containing that stuff.

I poked around in some other Mac binaries and sure enough all the ones I checked show the full directory of objective-c source files, which on OS X always starts /Users/<user name>/....

Grrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        I poked around in some other Mac binaries and sure enough all the ones I checked show the full directory of objective-c source files, which on OS X always starts /Users/<user name>/....
                        Apparently, no-one remembers to strip the debugging information from binaries any more...

Investigate a command called strip. You may need to use it via the command line...
                        16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                        16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Im still waiting on the new client...

=]
                          SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
                          [email protected]
                          AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Im still waiting on the new client...

=]
                            You won't be waiting very long.

Comment

Working...
                            X