Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no modern engine has a concept of palettes any more. Any palette in a modern quake engine is for compatibility only, the rest is all rgb.

Code:
    muh_bad
    {
    //	{
    //		map $lightmap
    //	}
    	{
    	//	videomap berkelium:http://google.co.uk
    		videomap videos/foo.roq
    //		blendfunc filter
    	}
    }
    roq files are always supported by fte, but can be a little large and awkward to generate.
    berkelium plugin can be used for web pages, including youtube. see example videomap line.
    fte's avformat plugin can be used via an av: or avs: prefix to gain access to more codecs/formats.
    the commented out lines other than that extra videomap line can be used to enable lightmaps on the shader.

you can use the old DP_GECKO_SUPPORT extension to control browsers and stuff via csqc/menuqc. the 'name' argument is the name of the shader, and controls the first videomap object in the shader. with this extension you can generate mouse movements and other input events, as well as a few other commands.
    you can use DP_QC_GETSURFACE to determine the texture coord and thus determine the desired mouse position from a world coordinate. Needs some maths to go with it though, but you can use this for web-browsers-on-walls if the need ever arises.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

• Wow, I know nothing. How do you guys remember all of this? It never ends. Why a guy like Spike is building a Quake engine is beyond me. This guy needs to be making smart systems that run the planet or something. What's the code for the traffic light to never be red when I approach it? I also need the code to access the space defense system so I can disintegrate slow drivers that wont let me pass.

Actually (aside) can you believe some douche bag stopped at a green in front of me and waited for it to turn red? WTF is that?! If I didn't have a mark on my insurance already, my van would have eaten his little plastic POS for breakfast and I would have bragged to the insurance company that I destroyed his car good.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike View Post
        no modern engine has a concept of palettes any more. Any palette in a modern quake engine is for compatibility only, the rest is all rgb.

Code:
        muh_bad
        {
        //	{
        //		map $lightmap
        //	}
        	{
        	//	videomap berkelium:http://google.co.uk
        		videomap videos/foo.roq
        //		blendfunc filter
        	}
        }
        roq files are always supported by fte, but can be a little large and awkward to generate.
        berkelium plugin can be used for web pages, including youtube. see example videomap line.
        fte's avformat plugin can be used via an av: or avs: prefix to gain access to more codecs/formats.
        the commented out lines other than that extra videomap line can be used to enable lightmaps on the shader.

you can use the old DP_GECKO_SUPPORT extension to control browsers and stuff via csqc/menuqc. the 'name' argument is the name of the shader, and controls the first videomap object in the shader. with this extension you can generate mouse movements and other input events, as well as a few other commands.
        you can use DP_QC_GETSURFACE to determine the texture coord and thus determine the desired mouse position from a world coordinate. Needs some maths to go with it though, but you can use this for web-browsers-on-walls if the need ever arises.
        @spike
        I am not planning such an interactive element,but certainly all that functionality would come in handy if one wanted to design a learning teleprompter for a virtual tutor. I have in mind something much less advanced in mind. A simple plane with a small clip looping on it,or possibly triggered to loop. What model type would lend itself to say 250 frames and be importable to radiant? I will be using blender to make the model.Also I grabbed the FTE and compiler if I have to use it.
        @GB
        The mesh will be static ,is that enough?
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by bluntz View Post
          What model type would lend itself to say 250 frames and be importable to radiant? I will be using blender to make the model.Also I grabbed the FTE and compiler if I have to use it.
          @GB
          The mesh will be static ,is that enough?
          Yeah, you can use an .ase model. You'll need q3bsp of course.

You can open an .ase model in a text editor; it's a plain text format. You can then put any shader you want on any of its subobjects.

For the movie you'll use .roq then I guess, although I have no idea if DP supports that.

General note from GB:

On a general note: I'm a bit fed up with this forum, I would appreciate if people contacted me via IRC (irc.anynet.org #qc and #rmq, irc.quakenet.org) or at least via PM in the future. I don't fancy posting too much info in the forum anymore, since I feel out of place here, like the fifth wheel on a car that's speeding down a cliff. I'm not really a quake player or even a quake modder anymore (I "just" use idtech-based engines for making indie games), plus I'm not anyone's bro. I'll gladly help the people who are really interested, though, as always, just contact me in some other way. GLHF.

---
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• Sorry to hear that,but I understand completely.Without any effort at quality control the site has gone to shit.I have long advocated Author control of thread content but have been met with the same juvenile attitude to allow anyone to trash any thread in the name of freedom of speech.
            I will see you around Jo,I am not far behind ya.
            GG
            Last edited by bluntz; 11-23-2013, 07:20 PM.
            WARNING
            May be too intense for some viewers.
            Stress Relief Device
            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
            ---------------------------
            .--------------------------

Comment

• If you content controlled this website, there wouldn't really be any content.

I'm down with the fifth wheel part, though. I don't do anything Quake and with very little exception, I doubt I ever will again.

Not sure what your problem with being someone's bro is though. That's just familiar slang for friend. If you really aren't anyone's friend, why did you just tell an entire community how to contact you or even bother to explain your decision to leave at all?

Also, isn't Rune of Earth Magic a Quake game?

IDK, man. I feel ya' but, it's also kinda like you took a shit in your own post, that essentially complains about people taking a shit in every post.

The fact that not one person has tried to stop you or change your mind illustrates why I no longer contribute here. This isn't a community, it's a conglomeration of singularity and no one fuckin cares.

You will build Rune of Earth Magic for nothing and that's exactly what you should expect... isn't that "the facts"? Barring some great passion to build it, I would suggest you don't even waste your talent or time. You could accomplish more with a loaf of bread and a pond full of ducks.

Comment

• could use a bit of help..... i made a map using parts from another map,
                and i got problems with textures on parts which i copied&pasted

there's big arches in the map, and in radiant the rotation and offset of the textures looks fine

but after compiling the map, the rotation and offset of those faces looks all wrong in-game

i made the map in GTKradiant, and i used treeqBSPbjp to compile the map

what could cause the rotation and offset of these textures to look all messed-up in-game, while those looked fine in GTKradiant?
                and how could i fix this so that in-game these faces will also look fine?
                Last edited by talisa; 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM.
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• hmmmm, never seen that before. One idea comes ro mind though. Are you sure you don't have an exact duplicate brush in the same spot? If you select a brush and press space it creates a duplicate...it's not impossible to do this by accident and not even realize it.

Comment

• there were indeed some accidential duplicates,
                    and i removed any duplicates i could find on the arches.

but sadly it didnt seem to change anything at all,
                    after re-compiling the updated map which doesnt have duplicate brushes
                    rotations and offsets of the textures of the arches still are messed up in-game
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• just tried another compiler called txqbspbjp and the bsp it outputs
                      is a lot better and has a lot less incorrectly rotations and offsets, but it still isnt perfect

with this compiler its just the offset which doesnt come out perfect for some faces it seems

what would be the best bsp compiler?
                      i tried treeqbspbjp which just screwed up horribly and just tried txbspbjp which did it almost perfect

anyone could recommend another bsp compiler which might do an even better job?

Comment

• Keep in mind I haven't used every compiler out there, but I noticed a spike in quality (especially lightfacing) using LordHavoc's HMAP compiler, which does it all: BSP, light, and vis.

If that doesn't work, I would go back and re-apply textures to the faces and angle them correctly, then recompile. The geometry looks fine, but there's some irregularity in the texture info. Timely, but will probably cure the problem.

EDIT: looking at the pictures, it looks like the 'bad' textures are angled inversely to what they should be. Meaning that if it's supposed to be 45 degrees, it's coming out 45+180 (on some of them anyway), which is 225. So I bet the problem is how the editor is interpreting the angles when you copy in the .map files and then rotate the geometry. I used to map with Qoole a lot and it was notorious for doing this.
                        Last edited by Dutch; 07-13-2014, 12:54 PM.
                        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• i seem to have figured out why the compiler output the textures incorrectly

when looking at the info of surfaces, i noticed that decimal values were used.
                          tried using only whole numbers and no decimals, and then the compiler output the textures rotations and offsets correctly

guess the compiler cant work with decimal values and rounds them off to whole numbers which would i suppose explains the incorrect output

EDIT:
                          thanx dutch, managed to fix all problems by manually reapplying the rotations and offsets after resetting them
                          Last edited by talisa; 07-13-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Good to hear! I'm waiting on your start map to play the rest of the pack. I've only played two of them so far.

Comment

• @dutch
                              just released updated start-map for mapjam1
                              http://quakeone.com/forums/website-r...tml#post148779

having an actual start-map for this map-set to easily get to the maps and be able to set skill-level makes it a lot easier to play them

Comment

• Got it! Thanks talisa.

Comment

Working...
                                X