Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's well aware of both places already...
    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

I realized that shortly after I posted : )

still, It's a good idea to point it out to anyone else reading.
      Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

thanks
        Last edited by Allister; 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
          2. Making Radiant see the textures

Many people have the problem that when they open Radiant, it doesn't find the textures. Here is the solution: The texture wad files must be located inside the id1 folder.

Download the Quake textures, or any others you want to use, for example here:

Quaddicted.com: Quake Texture Wad Archive
          I have installed GtkRadiant 1.5.0 (Apr 26 2007) from Radiant Level Design Tools.

I have the Q1 gamepak installed and the path configured.

But I am stuck at this point. My Quake game does not have *.WAD-files! My ID1 folder only contains *.PAK-files.

Do I need to extract or convert the WAD files somehow?

I could maybe download the textures from Quaddicted. But in that archive I don't understand what is what, and actually I would prefer to get the textures out of my own game (this way I can be sure that the texture sets are complete and legit etc).

--
          My development machine: Vaio WGN-Z21GN laptop with GeForce 9300 M GS, Core2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 (32 Bit)
          The more they [computers] know, the slower they get — as opposed to the human mind, which has the opposite property. David W. Hillis

Comment

Just download the Quake textures from quaddicted... it is much easier than extracting them yourself. That is the only difference; if you own the game, then I don't see how it is illicit to download a pre-extracted texture wad.

Texture wads are not supplied with the game; instead the textures are packaged within the BSP files and can be extracted with obscure tools. So the textures ARE on your Quake CD, just not in wad form. Trust me, just download quake.wad or id.wad from quaddicted, it is just a simplification of the process.

Put your texture wads into quake/id1 and Radiant should find them.

GTKradiant worked fine for me, it's a slightly older version than netradiant but does the same thing.

A wad file (in Quake) contains (low-res) textures.

A pak file is something like a zip file, just without compression. It contains a lot of other files.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I have installed Netradiant on Debian Squeeze 64 and am in the process of checking that it all works.The textures did not appear in the previewer and looking around many people seemed to have this problem,however it was not a bug it just wanted a double klik on the text entry in the wad list to load them,Doh!
              So I made a box and placed a light and player_start in it with textures.All seems to work fine so I went to the build menu and select hqbsp ?
              After this the map appears in my maps folder but it is in .map format.
              How do I set it to export .bsp?
              Also in local.pref this line:<epair name="BuildMenu">/home/bluntz/.netradiant/1.5.0/q1.game/build_menu.xml</epair>
              There is no such XML file in the dir. There is no shader_tags.xml file either.I chose vanilla Q1 though so I did not think it used such a file?I found a default_build_menu.xml file in there and renamed it to build_menu.xml but it just generated another defaul_menu.xml so I put it back.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bluntz; 08-16-2012, 10:36 AM.
              WARNING
              May be too intense for some viewers.
              Stress Relief Device
              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
              ---------------------------
              .--------------------------

Comment

Log file looks ok. The missing shadertags stuff shouldn't be a problem in q1.

Can you post a log of the build/compile process? When you start any compiler from the build menu, its output (and any error messages) should appear either in the radiant console or in the terminal you started Radiant from.

Can you also post a screenshot of what happens when you do "Customize" in the Radiant build menu? It should show a window with all available build options and their parameters.

default_build_menu.xml is what comes preconfigured with the gamepack, I think. It probably tries to use hmap or hmap2, so make sure the hmap/2 compiler is in a place where Radiant can find it (probably the Radiant installation folder).

By the way, for Q1 make sure to set the wad key in worldspawn, such as

"wad" "/home/bluntz/quake/id1/soandso.wad"

The compiler needs this to find the textures.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Ok so if I understand this correctly then radiant is actually setup correctly and working.
                  What remains is converting a .map file to a .bsp file and not really a fault of the editor?
                  WARNING
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

change

Code:
                    <epair name="BuildMenu">/home/bluntz/.netradiant/1.5.0/q1.game/build_menu.xml</epair>
                    to

Code:
                    <epair name="BuildMenu">/home/bluntz/.netradiant/1.5.0/q1.game/default_build_menu.xml</epair>
                    then go to "hooker gets soaked" and follow the tut I wrote for you (skipping the part relevant to this thread). You are using NetRadiant, this what I use. You are experiencing a glitch that I already isolated. You haven't even compiled yet. You just pressed a button. To double-check and see I am right, open junk.txt. There won't be any bsp,vis or light compile information in it and there should be.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM.
                    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Thanks Michael, I am mutitasking both tuts to work this all out and appreciate any and all help.I have gone to LH's site and grabbed his compiler as you suggested.GB also runs nix so I have need of you both.You are correct junk is indeed empty and I dont see any compilers in the netradient dir.Also I hope there are 64 bit ones for this.
                      Last edited by bluntz; 08-16-2012, 11:48 AM.
                      WARNING
                      Stress Relief Device
                      ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

The compiler makes a .map file into a .bsp file.

I suggest clicking on "hqbsp, vis, light" and seeing what happens.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

you need his compile files and my xml stuff. Funny thing is - I used gbs tut to set up my windows version and then just used my brain and some trial and error to figure out the rest.

Net Radiant does not come with Q1 compilers
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Downloaded the hmap2 source and compiled it and tested it works
                            Built the map and ran the bsp.As the map seemed to be lit I am wondering do I need to find the vis and light compilers also?
                            Last edited by bluntz; 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM.
                            WARNING
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

You need to run the qbsp, vis and light stages one after another.

hmap2 contains these already; you must give -vis and -light parameters to it, though, so you (or the build script) basically run(s) hmap2 three times.

Once you got that working, you can look into Jardrup's compilers sometime, too.

You can use -vis -fast to "fastvis" your map - this will reduce compile time but cost performance. I believe those light tools also support multithreading, you should read the documentation and see what it says. You can also run hmap2, hmap2 -vis and hmap2 -light without any further parameters in a terminal to get a list of options.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thank you,
                                Can I import .map into a map?If so perhaps I can use terrain generated from blender with low poly hieghtmaps?
                                Last edited by bluntz; 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM.
                                WARNING
                                Stress Relief Device
                                ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Working...
                                X