1v1 DM multiple maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1v1 DM multiple maps?

I was thinking of a map separated into three parts, one section a copy of DM2, another of DM4, and the last one DM6. These maps were the big 3 1v1 maps in DM throughout the years, although most "deathmatchers" are only good on DM6 nowadays. This was not always the case, as DM4 and DM2 were very popular in the Q1DM heyday. Anyway, these map sections should not be accessible without being spawned into; travel to the other map sections should be prohibited until a certain time period. It would be nice to have a match where each of these map sections is played for 5-10 mins. For instance, lets say DM6 is randomly selected as the first map area, but after the first 5-10 mins, both players are killed (without the frag loss) and then spawned into the next map section. So each of these map sections could get played for a short while during a 1v1 match. A map is a map is a map! Some people are "good" players on one map, but are "bad" at the other great maps. Something like this would force everyone to be an overall great player on the other maps in order to win at 1v1. The final score in a mod like this would be indicative of how well each player performed on each of those separated map sections. I'm a total newbie to Quake development, so I'm not sure if something like this is even possible. Perhaps I am merely being selfish, because I love all three of those maps, but I know that I would enjoy 1v1 a lot more if I could get to play all of those maps during a single 1v1 match.

Over the years, I've tried to get more people to be interested in QuakeC coding, especially multiplayer types.

And in private discussions I've had with R00k, I acknowledge that essentially been a failure.

R00k is the only active person in NetQuake with experience to do such a thing. And there is only one of him.

The real problem is that more people who like multiplayer don't take up QuakeC and host a server. Learning it isn't so, but handling all the issues in multiplayer requires experience. For example, single player or modder types that try to make a true multiplayer mod usually fall flat on their face because they aren't used to the quirks/realities of multiplayer and or a dedicated server.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy -- seriously I'm not --- but generally all of these multiplayer ideas can only be done by R00k since there are no longer people like Bam, Rocket Guy, etc.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      Over the years, I've tried to get more people to be interested in QuakeC coding, especially multiplayer types.

And in private discussions I've had with R00k, I acknowledge that essentially been a failure.

R00k is the only active person in NetQuake with experience to do such a thing. And there is only one of him.

The real problem is that more people who like multiplayer don't take up QuakeC and host a server. Learning it isn't so, but handling all the issues in multiplayer requires experience. For example, single player or modder types that try to make a true multiplayer mod usually fall flat on their face because they aren't used to the quirks/realities of multiplayer and or a dedicated server.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy -- seriously I'm not --- but generally all of these multiplayer ideas can only be done by R00k since there are no longer people like Bam, Rocket Guy, etc.
      Well, then it looks like our good pal r00k has his work cut out for him! Let me know when you're finished, "R00kster." Thanks!

Seriously, this is a great idea, but sadly it would need to be implemented into CRMod in order for it to ever be played in the DM "community." This is an idea that came more than a decade too late it seems.

Comment

I think rooks working on freeze tag at the moment. I used to know a little nq quake c years ago, never messed with it much and do not remember squat nor do i have time to learn it.

Comment

If anyone is interested in doing this, you could add a start section on the map that would function as a good warm-up arena, and then when the start timer ticks down, a random map section is selected (DM2, DM4, or DM6). Each one of these map sections could have a 5 minute limit and then the next map section is used. The map selection/order should be randomly generated when the match timer starts. This would make for 15 minute matches, but it used to be 20 and many people only play 10 minutes now, so this is a good in-between. Since I came back to Quake1 in December of 2011 for a few months, I never really did play the custom maps like Aerowalk and ZTNDM3 when I last played Quake, so I have almost no experience with playing them in 1v1. Others have accepted them, so these can be added, although it would not be as workable to have all 5 of these map sections in one big map, because I think at the minimum each map should be played for at least 5 minutes. This is a good idea for QW as well. IMO, this would have been the way to go way back in the 90's when all of those tournaments were held, because most people had a "strong" map and many had a map that they were weak on, and so many people were forced to play on one of their weak maps and drop out of the tournament(s) early.

Edit: since I know there are some good NQ Aerowalk players (ZildJian, bruce, etc), this map can be added for a total of 4 map sections and 20 minute matches.
          Last edited by sschm; 08-01-2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X