Custom Entities in Radiant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Entities in Radiant

Does anyone know how to add entities to the menu in GTKRadiant 1.5?

I'm gonna tweak the teleporters so that, among several other things, they can be discrete (I have no idea why this wasn't the case in the first place...)

I'd also like to lift some things from SoA and DoE...they had some neat stuff like the rumbling/shaking...

I've found that you can do a bunch of neat (and pretty elaborate) stuff with doors/trains. I'd like to have a "cath-all" entity like 'func_awesome.' Essentially, I want a func_door that has these options:

1. Plays ANY sound I choose
    2. Diagonal movement on the x and y axis
    3. Path following with several controls
    4. Collision options
    5. Visibility options
    6. Triggering options
    7. Optional options (optimally)

lol...

Also, I just want invisible brushes for collision...please...

One more gripe: anything that can be fired (door, teleporter, etc) should have the option to remove itself after being fired any specified number of times with any specified delay. But...meh.

Oh, one more thing. Maybe I'm a total dolt and just didn't notice but is there anyway to independently control a light's brightness and radius (is that called light density?)

EDIT: This is kind of random, but answers a question I had. The first fundamental limit I hit in a BSP was the vertex limit, which is around 65,556...now you know...or maybe you already knew.
    Last edited by KillPixel; 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM.
    www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

you have to modify /netradiant/q1.game/id1/entities.ent.

This will allow you to change the entitiy inspector options in radiant. There is a syntax you will have to learn. I could teach it to you, but I'd rather just tell you to mix and match stuff, then test it out. You'll figure it out.

However, that is only half of the battle. The changes you make need to also be available in the QC.

So, you can do all of the stuff you listed. All you have to do is program it all into the QC and then "port" its description to the .ent file.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

That's what I thought. Either I don't have entities.ent or its empty...or I'm an idiot and tried to open it in notepad then rage quit.

Comment

at least open it in wordpad (utf-

There is no way that it is empty. You would have no entities list.

edit: oh wait, you said GTKRadiant. It may be a different path and the file may be an .fgd.

Comment

Ya, I remember being confused and thinking (so if this isn't here/empty then where are all the other entities stored?)

As I said, I fell prey to my idiocy.

EDIT:
          edit: oh wait, you said GTKRadiant. It may be a different path and the file may be an .fgd.
          AH! It's all coming together, I'll look deeper when I get home. thank you.

Comment

3 things:

1) .fgd -is wrong. I meant .def (.fgd is worldcraft {friendly green dildos...just sayin})
            2) I actually have GTKRadiant installed (who knew), it's still - ..radiant/q1game/id1/entities. (ent/def)
            3) The GTK part of your radiant really doesn't matter. Don't know why I emphasized it.

Comment

So, entities.ent is there. Go figure.

Thanks

Comment

No sweat man. Are you QCalicious, cause some of the stuff you said you wanted to use is going to require you to rip apart SoA and DoE QC and inject it into yours. This is not simple, but I have a method that simplifies it. You only need 3 things

1) a FIRM grasp of QC
                2) notepad++ (or any editor with a "(search/replace all) in all opened documents" feature)
                3) time - lots of it.

HOW TO DO IT:
                *note: this is hella complicated

1) open up all of the QC for your game in notepad++
                2) start another instance of notepad++ and open up all of the QC for (ex) DoE
                3) lets say you wanted the ground shake code and let's also pretend it is called func_rumble (I don't remember the actual name). In you DoE QC do a "find all in all opened documents": func_rumble
                4) if func_rumble is in a QC that is not native to your QC start a new document and copy/paste the func_rumble code to it.
                5) for every var and function that is not native to Q1 QC, within the func_rumble code do a find all in all opened documents for it and note whether or not it is in a native or mod QC to Q1. If it is native copy/paste it to your QC in the same spot. If it is not native copy/paste it ABOVE func_rumble in your "side.QC".
                6) keep doing this till you run out of stuff to find
                7) save your side QC as whatever you want and add it's path to defs.qc
                8} compile your code and wait for the list of errors that you will definitely get.
                9) from Error Land you can get a good idea of what you missed or what needs to be moved.

*remember: QC is procedural. This means that things have to happen in the order they are described. If you have func_something inside of func_main, then func_something needs to be at least declared before func_main.

*note: the names here are made up and don't matter, the illustration of order is the point.

correct
                Code:
                void() func_something = {};
                void() func_main = {
                    func_something():
                };
                wrong
                Code:
                void() func_main = {
                    func_something():
                };
                void() func_something = {};
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM.

Comment

1) I'm working on it (though I might try to commission a few things)
                  2) I wouldn't use anything else
                  3) Stuffing the girlfriend in the trunk now

Comment

I'll do one for you. Pick a mod you want to include and I will 100% strip it from the original source an flawlessly inject it into your source. I'll even write the proper .ent description for it.

*When I say "mod" I mean (ex) func_flashlight NOT Nehara (lol - or however you spell it).

Pick a hard one.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

You're on.

Comment

Hey 'Gypsy... if you're taking requests can I have a "ladder" mod with BOTH up and down movement! Hehehe
                        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Ya know, I have thought about how to build a good ladder quite a few times. I have to admit, I'm stumped. I don't know if I'm stupid or thinking way too technical, but I just don't get it.

There is probably a ladder mod out there somewhere. Never bothered to look for it. I noticed scouts journey has ladders. I don't know if they are just decoration. Maybe golden_boy can enlighten us on how to make a ladder.

You could probably fake the up and down with an invisible lift that only moves if you are looking a certain direction.

PS> I've been climbing 6 to 40 foot ladders my "whole life" (practically every day), so a ladder mod just seems like a given.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Also, I just want invisible brushes for collision...please...
                            Hello, my ignorant friend! What you seek is called a "clip" texture. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by KillPixel View Post
                              Hello, my ignorant friend! What you seek is called a "clip" texture. Have fun!
                              Ah, thanks for your help, random QuakeOne dude!

Comment

Working...
                              X