Offsetting .mdl UVs in real time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offsetting .mdl UVs in real time.

Is there any way to offset a .mdl entity's texture in QC?

I want to be able to offset the uv by a certain amount in between frames of animation.

Thanks for reading.

Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
    Is there any way to offset a .mdl entity's texture in QC?

I want to be able to offset the uv by a certain amount in between frames of animation.

Thanks for reading.
    you can change skins via qc
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

I don't want to change the skins, I want to be able to shift the UVs of the model across so the texture will slide across the model.

Comment

I guess you'll need a shader that does that.
        Would be very useful for a lot of things btw.

Comment

You can use a skingroup to animate a texture in Quake without needing a shader.

To elaborate, that's not done in qc, that's a property of MDLs and I believe you need QME to do it. Not sure if any Blender exporter even supports that.

Shader might work as well, but that makes it incompatible with vanilla Quake.
          Last edited by golden_boy; 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

He's not talking about animated textures, he's talking about sliding/offsetting texture coördinates.

Comment

Yeah, but that results in the same thing, doesn't it?

If you want to move X pixels across a model's skin, using an animated texture might achieve that as well as moving the UVs around.

I brought up the possibility of skingroups because, no, there is no way in QC to move the UVs around.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Animating it won't provide interpolated scrolling and will probably make file size ridiculous though, for a 128*128 texture that's 128 frames to have it look smooth. But yeah, better than nothing. Scrolling would still be awesome for stuff like veins or lavafalls.

Comment

Here's a good example of when can be achieved with it
                  Simon schreibt.: Diablo 3 - Resource Bubbles

Comment

Yes, that would be very nice to have. The skingroup idea was just meant to provide a band aid, really, and it won't work the same way as real scrolling.

By the way, the pool ball trick linked from that page (http://www.voofoostudios.com/?p=33) is some advanced hacking. Very good read.
                    Last edited by golden_boy; 04-21-2013, 09:17 AM.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

if you use DP you could use shaders to change the texture constantly

just like what webangel did with her amazing animated textures for ID1

also, shaders allow you to make a texture scrolling too.. least i think?
                      you used that for your version of prettywater didnt you webangel, make texture be scrolling?
                      Last edited by talisa; 04-21-2013, 12:14 PM.
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Should be able to do it with DP fairly easily, especially since it supports Q3 style shaders which are typical for that kind of stuff. (never made them myself so I might be talking out of my ass here)

Comment

Working...
                        X