nail-position fix for quake and mission-packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello NightFright,

It is somehow weird to read Bengt Jardrup (aguirRe)īs readme.txt.
    He writes:
    Credits

Rogue Entertainment for the excellent mission pack and for providing QC source
    code
    And what does he do ? He edits the QC source and does NOT provide it in his release!
    That is strange and suprising...

The source, independently if a map or a progs.dat mod is released should always be included.
    I even think that the GPL requests it when you edit QC source !

But many many times you will see that this is not the case.
    By the way: Your download Nightfright also has NO source included...

So, I cannot answer your question, as aguirRe`s source is not available.
    But you do not need to worry. There is no gameplay bug in the source that was used for the progs.dat that you used in your download here in this thread.

But in 1 year, when we are fogotten, nobody will know/remember, because you also did not include the qc source in your download, hehe.

Regards,
    Seven

Comment

Well, define "source" for the release I made (I assume we talk about the OrioN pack). I just did some skin edits for existing models, nothing that involves messing with any code. Anyone with Quark editor and access to the actual .mdl files (obtainable by using Pakscape) can do that. But if you want me to provide the edited skin files, I will gladly extract them from the mdls and make them available separately, if that's what you would like to see. Also the actual mdls themselves if needed, even though anyone is free to extract them on their own, of course. ^^

Other than that, I guess it's really hard to see what kinda changes aguiRe did without any documentation or code release whatsoever. Anyway, the Rogue pack is playable the way it is, and with your code corrections the worst bugs it had should be fixed. From my point of view, that's fine.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
        Well, define "source" for the release I made (I assume we talk about the OrioN pack).
        There is this tiny little file in your .pakīs:
        progs.dat

Comment

Ah, that... this is the exact same file which talisa provided in this thread, for id1, hipnotic and rogue. I didn't apply any change to that at all, so I am afraid I cannot provide any source code. I am sure you have it already.

The progs.dat files are not necessarily needed since they have nothing to do with the model files, but since this is meant as a fix PAK, I thought it's not a bad idea to bundle these fixes for an all-in-one solution. Both you and talisa have been given credit for that in the readme, btw, so I hope it's OK like that. ^^
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

yeah... i didnt provide the source QC in my RARs

back then i was so stupid to delete the modified QC right away after i compiled it, thinking i didnt need it anymore

so to be able to provide the modified source QC id have to re-apply the same fixes some time to the QC
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

just updated rogue-fixes to now include seven's fix for broken buzzsaws in 2014 DP-builds,
              and it now also includes the source-QC and credits

also went ahead and resized the pics so they arent so huge anymore

EDIT:
              accidentially forgot to apply the nail-pos fix for lava-NG!
              applied that fix too now and re-uploaded new version1.11 which includes that fix
              Last edited by talisa; 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Since you are into making the weap firings look better, does it seem like the lightning exit point out of the gun looks off a bit, if you are looking at the player as if you are another player or in a chasecam mode? In first person, the lightning mostly looks ok, centered coming out, but I think it looks like its coming out of the center of the player if you are not in first person. Havent actually checked this in SMC yet so I dont know for sure. If you chase_active 1 , its hard to see it.....

Comment

@cobalt
                  its not to bad, off a lil bit but not much

you however cant just change the spawn-position of the bolt itself.
                  moving the spawn-point of the bolt to match the player-model would make it look off in first-person.

imo the only good way to fix this issue would be adjusting the player-model's animations so that it matches the bolt-position,
                  and not moving the spawn-point of the bolt itself cuz that would screw up how it looks in 1st person

also, in SMC with ruohis player-model with Vweps its spot-on

as you can see ruohis made sure to adjust the animation so that the model has the weapon at right position
                  Last edited by talisa; 06-15-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I'm having issues getting this to work in DIrectq. The readme isn't very specific. Am I just supposed to put the progs.dat into id1? or open up the original pak and replace the original? Also, I wanted to use the footsteps mod by seven which is also a progs.dat. How would I go about combining them to make them both work? I'm not familiar with qc.

I'm using directq 1.8.4 btw since it is the last version that will actually run on my computer.

Comment

@legend
                      just simply drop the progs.dat into your ID1 folder yes
                      and the engine will use it instead of the one inside the game-pak

about combining the footsteps mod:
                      you need the source QC of that mod and edit the QC to put them both together into one mod

Comment

some(most?) engines prioritise pak files in the gamedir over the gamedir. this means that you can't just drop in a progs.dat and expect it to be used. create a separate gamedir and use it with the -game $newgamedir commandline argument or something, or there might be a console command that can do it.
                        the path command will show you whether its actually needed in any given engine. the top line printed should not be a pak.

you cannot directly combine multiple progs.dat files, instead you need to hack the QC in order to get them to work together (or to get someone else to do it for you, of course).
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

@spike
                          hmm ok didnt know that.
                          i assumed all engines prioritized files inside the game-dir over the PAKs just like darkplaces does.
                          learn something new everyday i suppose

i suppose i could some time update the rar to include a pak-file then with the progs.dat
                          for people using engines which prioritize pak-files over files inside the game-dir
                          Last edited by talisa; 06-19-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Time to bump this. Hopefully one of you folks can help me (ideally Seven himself).

I am reviewing my OriOn model fix pack and noticed that in the MP2 pack, I accidentally included v_light.mdl instead of v_plasma.mdl for the Plasma Gun fix.

So far, so bad. Additionally, I realized the firing animation is screwed with the Plasma Gun. It shows the lightning beam on the muzzleflash just like the original Thunderbolt which it shouldn't, and there is weird stuff going on with the gun while firing in general (lightning on the rear gun part which shouldn't be there at all).

Here you see part of the problem (lighting on the rear side not visible):

I tracked the problem down to Seven's progs.dat (which I included with the model fixes). If I remove that, the Plasma Gun fires normally.

My question/request:
                            Could you please upload a version of your progs.dat for MP2 which either has the Plasma Gun fix removed or at least checked to make sure the animation is correct?

Side note: I am playing with Fitzquake Mk V (latest snapshot build from April 20, 2015).

*EDIT*
                            I see OoPpEe made these edits intentionally, to "improve" the animation of the gun in general.
                            Last edited by NightFright; 04-23-2015, 07:10 AM.
                            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

figured it out sry
                              Last edited by drowning_witch; 06-04-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

@drowning
                                just simply drop the progs.dat into your ID folder (or hipnotic/rogue folders for mission-packs)

thats all you need to do. next time you start a game, the fixes will be applied.
                                if you continue from a save-game, restart the map to make the engine load the fixes

Comment

Working...
                                X