Shotgun shells.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun shells.

No the best looking shells but they are indeed shotgun shells.

GAMEBANANA: Shotgun shell. (Models > Shells) you can use this for any propose.
    I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
    But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Did you make that? It's pretty nutty on the UV map but the model looks OK.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Yes i have, and i really didn't have any idea on the UV.

Comment

just for fun looked at your model in blender.
        allow me give you some constructive criticism and tips to be able to make future models better

-you sure gave it a ton of sides for such a small model.
        for such a small model 8 to max 12sides will be more then enough since its a small model and will always be small on-screen.
        for a big model so much sides is ok, but for something as small as a shell its overkill

i made a quick re-make of your shell but with just 12 sides, and zoomed the view out till how big a player will actually see the model in any game or such

they look exactly the same to the player, but my version is just 200polys versus the nearly 6000 polys your version is

your shell has more polys then this super-fancy necklace with completely modelled chain that i made not long ago

-your UV-mapping couldve been better
        the bottom of the shell shoulde had the outer loop of edges marked as a seam so the bottom wouldve been its own island, like this:

-you shouldve made the red outside part be its own island, and the red inside be its own island, instead of making top-half of inside outside one island, and same for the bottom.
        doing it the way you did is why the islands look so strange and it causes a lot of weird stretching.
        a better way to unwrap those parts is to unwrap while red outside as one island, and the whole red inside as one island
        mark these edges at the end as seam, and unmark one line at the sides.

if you do this blender will unwrap those parts both as octagonal islands which wont have stretching and will be easy to texture

-the side of the gold end of the shell shouldve also had one line along the length marked as a seam just like the red part.

then blender wouldve unwrapped this part as an octagonal island as well

-the inside doesnt need to be completely modelled like you did.
        its a waste of polys to go and add such detail on the inside of an object as the player will rarely even be able to have a look inside.

also, shells dont have this one the inside, the bottom of the inside is just a flat cylindrical plane which is also red.
        try removing the gold part on inside, and just add a single flat cylinder at the end of the red part, which you also make red.

-and lastly, one tip of something i do often for items which have an inside.
        if you need to add the feeling of depth while not wasting polys: try making the texture of the inside fade to pitch-black near the end

this is a great way to add fake depth to an item which has an inside while saving on polys. ive done this myself numerous times on models.
        it looks cool and gives the player the idea they can look inside the item while in reality there's nothing on the inside.
        i just did this very recently for the boots i made:

see how it gives the idea of depth while there is actually nothing on the inside of the boot, except for a single loop and then a flat cylinder?

hope my tips help you to be able to make better models and be able to UV-map models better

EDIT: ive unwrapped my low-poly version and will give it to you so you can look at it and see what i did different
        https://anonfiles.com/file/ac960ed6e...f9892ddb8e8b9c

as a bonus ive also included a texture called UV_checker which really comes in handy to check
        if how you UV-mapped a model doesnt give any texture-stretching and if the aspect of your islands is good.
        if the squares dont look straight on your model, you should re-think how to UV-map your model so they will
        Last edited by talisa; 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

LOL! I never DL'ed the file. I didn't realize it was 6000 polys. That's insane . That's only like 11900% more polys than you need...

Comment

I hope this gets finished, it would be a great replacement for the HD shell casings we already have as these fit better with the shell boxes.

Comment

I hope this gets finished
              I was under the impression that this is "finished". It's hi-res as a mother slapper too.

for a big model so much sides is ok
              nah...well maybe if you worked for pixar or something

Comment

for shitz and giggles I threw together a quick shell so you could get an idea of where your poly count should be.

Comment

you can never have too many polys...
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

mg you're right. talisa & shamblers (link) models having too much polys. these models are good for a movie but for a game its a pure wasting of a performance.
                    Last edited by Sza; 02-12-2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                      you can never have too many polys...

It is also somehow funny when you look at the exact same page, scoll down and find a lot of shell casings. You will also find these.

The world seems to be full of casings

I am excited to see the next thread with nailgun spikes...

Comment

Seven let him have his own fun

Perfect!

Comment

@Sza
                          gypsy's model and the model i provided as an example have the same amount of sides
                          they both have 12sides
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

my model is poor. I spent zero time trying to get certain bevels and lips accurate. I get the strong impression from Shambler that he has an interest in modeling and even grasps the general concept, but is a bit lost at the same time. I just wanted to throw him an example of a more realistic approach to his model.

That being said, my model isn't really a "model", it's more of a reference for simplicity. If I was going to really make a shotgun shell it would have 6 sides and no inner detail cause there is no point that I can recall where you even get to see it. Why waste polys on something that could just as easily not be there at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post

It is also somehow funny when you look at the exact same page, scoll down and find a lot of shell casings. You will also find these.

The world seems to be full of casings

I am excited to see the next thread with nailgun spikes...
                              Already did that, but I'll do better next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X