Abyss of Pandemonium RT Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abyss of Pandemonium RT Lights

Link removed, there is a special thread about Abyss of Pandemonium, with more stuff, not just RTlights.
    Last edited by Blood Vengeance; 09-27-2015, 05:31 AM.
    Make Quake Great Again

This is great. But AoP is soooo obscure. There are no resources for it practically, so getting HD textures to play these with is only possible if you do a LOT of texture renaming. I heard that AoP had some copyright issues with getting the ID textures, so it got creative and modified them all REALLY slightly...hence the texture problem.

I played through the mission pack. It's got very nice level design, but it is a dick in many aspects. The difficulty level is insane, and there is no way you can beat this on any of your first tries. Oh well, considering it is still an official mission pack regardless of what anyone says, I'd like to thank you personally for dedicating your time to add to the resource bank for this little known chapter of Quake's history. You did a great job, and I feel as though this should be incentive for other modders to maybe give AoP some sort of a chance.

Great job bro! I salute you on a daily

I will analyze your efforts in more detail as I go around the mission pack again and look for things that can be improved. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Random things I found so far:

1. In Carnage Castle, aop2m2, why do you use cubemaps for the overhead lamps, but not the blue grates?

2. In the same level, there is a hidden button that you must press in the base section once you fall down the shaft. I had trouble finding it actually, and would suggest adding a blinking light to it.

3. Your work of the underground area in AoPend is very nice! I think that you should get rid of that white light in the crate maze and make a light (or extend some other light) somewhere around the armor there so the player can find it. I also think the any open area should be more red since the sky is red.

4. It is nighttime, and it is time to rest. At least for now... : )
    Last edited by Pringles Man; 06-07-2015, 10:23 PM.
    Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
      This is great. But AoP is soooo obscure. There are no resources for it practically, so getting HD textures to play these with is only possible if you do a LOT of texture renaming. I heard that AoP had some copyright issues with getting the ID textures, so it got creative and modified them all REALLY slightly...hence the texture problem.

I played through the mission pack. It's got very nice level design, but it is a dick in many aspects. The difficulty level is insane, and there is no way you can beat this on any of your first tries. Oh well, considering it is still an official mission pack regardless of what anyone says, I'd like to thank you personally for dedicating your time to add to the resource bank for this little known chapter of Quake's history. You did a great job, and I feel as though this should be incentive for other modders to maybe give AoP some sort of a chance.

Great job bro! I salute you on a daily

I will analyze your efforts in more detail as I go around the mission pack again and look for things that can be improved. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Random things I found so far:

1. In Carnage Castle, aop2m2, why do you use cubemaps for the overhead lamps, but not the blue grates?

2. In the same level, there is a hidden button that you must press in the base section once you fall down the shaft. I had trouble finding it actually, and would suggest adding a blinking light to it.

3. Your work of the underground area in AoPend is very nice! I think that you should get rid of that white light in the crate maze and make a light (or extend some other light) somewhere around the armor there so the player can find it. I also think the any open area should be more red since the sky is red.

4. It is nighttime, and it is time to rest. At least for now... : )
      Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the rtlights to version 1.1 with the improvements you've suggested. About Aop I've downloaded a simple text file (a script) from moddb, on a version called Abyss of Pandemonium Epsilon. I don't like all of his content, but I think that some features the author added (support for HD textures, a bit improved models and textures with norm and gloss effects, 2 skins for different enforcers, re-adjusted audio and music) are awesome and is possibile to make an HD pack for Aop, maybe not complete, but that greatly enhances the game. AoP is a bit underrated IMO, even if many people who've played it gave positive reviews about it.
      Last edited by Blood Vengeance; 06-08-2015, 04:15 AM.
      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Hello Blood Vengeance,

"The author" as you call him didnt do anything, he took the work from others and put them into 1 compilation.
        AoP has only 7 different named textures, find the little high resolution pack and all infos about it here
        As well as the mod that adds 2 different skins to the enforcer types was done by me.
        What "the author" didnt seem to find was the mod that adds "Previous weapon" function to AoP. I made this because it might be handy due to the many new weapons of AoP. And if you can only cycle upwards, it gets hectic at times. Find it here

Have fun and best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

Link for previous weapon function is broken. Anyway, AoP uses very few custom textures. Some are easy to do since are really simple modified version of Id textures, I've done a few textures myself. When the last 2 I'm doing are finished I'll put online a dropbox link. About the 2 skins for enforcer, is possible to use a similar mod for Tabun Enforcer too? I'm doing a recolor of tabun enforcer skin like Talisa did for Quoth, but different color (brown armor, white helmet) because red, blue, green and yellow are already used in Travail, Quoth, Zerstorer and maybe other stuff I don't know. So the "author" made only a compilation of other stuff, well.......on youtube it seems that 90% of people who like darkplaces only knows about Epsilon quake.
          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
            Link for previous weapon function is broken.
            re-uploaded (correct file now)

EDITED:
            I have overread your other question:
            About the 2 skins for enforcer, is possible to use a similar mod for Tabun Enforcer too? I'm doing a recolor of tabun enforcer skin
            Yes, the mod doesnt care what format the monster model is.
            You can also use a .md3 model like Tabuns enforcer is.
            Just follow this small tutorial here.
            It shows you how to add a second skin to either a .mdl / .md2 / .md3 model.
            Because that is what you need for the mod: a second skin.

I suggest you do/try it by yourself and not let others do it for you, as you would not learn anything. If you have problems, do not hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,
            Seven
            Last edited by Seven; 06-08-2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              re-uploaded
              Ehm, that's Drake particles + flame. Anyway thanks because I didn't knew of that mod for Drake, I grab it immediately. It's possible to add particles and flames also to other mods, Aop for example, but also others like Beyond Belief, Zerstorer, (The final) Descent etc...
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

LOL, I uploaded wrong file

... will correct it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  re-uploaded (correct file now)

EDITED:
                  I have overread your other question:

Yes, the mod doesnt care what format the monster model is.
                  You can also use a .md3 model like Tabuns enforcer is.
                  Just follow this small tutorial here.
                  It shows you how to add a second skin to either a .mdl / .md2 / .md3 model.
                  Because that is what you need for the mod: a second skin.

I suggest you do/try it by yourself and not let others do it for you, as you would not learn anything. If you have problems, do not hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,
                  Seven
                  Tomorrow I try to make the mod to have 2 different enforcer by using Tabun Enforcer. Thanks for the tutorial.
                  Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Ehm, that's Drake particles + flame. Anyway thanks because I didn't knew of that mod for Drake, I grab it immediately. It's possible to add particles and flames also to other mods, Aop for example, but also others like Beyond Belief, Zerstorer, (The final) Descent etc...
                    Yes, just the same way as I did it for Drake.

Comment

There's a link to a tutorial? I would like to try to do it myself....if I have the skills and patience
                      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Some additional feedback to squeeze in since I have some time:

Aop2m1 is very dark in the beginning! For such a nice room, I suggest that you maximize the use of light. I suggest expanding the light radius for the windows and making them more orange-ish. Next thing I would do in AoP2m1 is color all the lights emitted from the yellow spiral rune lamps something instead of plain white. Don't forget cubemaps where cubemaps are due...

More on AoP1 when I have time : (

Well, screw that, I'll do it anyway.

AoP1M2:

Very nice overall! I feel as though the white lights you put around the lift in the cave section were a bit weird though. Either make them yellow, or delete them IMO.

The teleporters in the level I feel should use light animation style 11 instead of just being static (a feature of all teleporters in the original Quake).

There is a sky section where you use R: 1, G: 1, B: 1.2, but another, where you just use a 1:1:1 ratio. I would change all blue sky areas to the blue one.

AoP1M1:

Really dark overall, but color is nice. I would just suggest extending the light radius to areas where you must know you need to go (doors, buttons, etc)

As always, for teleporters, I would move lights to style 11.

I would also use cubemaps for these light grates as well!

Don't forget to use consistent sky colors. You stuck with 1.2:1:1 in the beginning, so I would put it at every window and open space there is near the end.

AoP1M3:

Kinda dark in the crate area. I would extend a few lights around there.

I would make the light with the fish in the cave brown and add blinking lights to the cave areas.

I would also extend the light radius of the blue lamps in the pool with the other fish.

Yeah, also overall a dark map. Try extending a few light radii in other places too.

AoP1M4:

I really liked this map : )

AoP1M5:

The first big room with all the traps is nice, but I don't think the window light radii extend far enough.

The starting hall windows emit a light that seems to be too red for the texture.

The huge room with the demon face and the split pathways to the left and has torches with a light radius of 150 each. That very small, considering the room has no other light sources (aside from the window, but that isn't much). I would also add lights to the crosses between the jesus faces under the demon face.

The white light in the hall to the left of the aforementioned room, I would move to the cross light and add a cubemap.

In the room with the portal that follows that hall, put a style 11 light in it.

What? No sky light in the cage above the silver key? That would make some nice shadows if it were there.

The portal leading to the room with the LG-2 prototype, should use style 11 as always.

I would make the radius of the purple windows and fireplace much higher. Also would add a light to indicate the gold key door better.

AoP1M6:

Add a light in the upside-down cross in the beginning to better distinguish it, as it is kinda diluted in all the surrounding light.

The path to the right and left have arches with upside-down cross lights. The ones to the right are stuck in the wall and aren't working though!

The button which you press to open the final doors to blud is poorly illuminated although it is very significant...so is the door for that matter.

The final battle chamber looks very nice!

The teleporter out of the level should use style 11 : )

You forgot to add lights to the torches in the red armor secret (behind the doors that say "not yet")

Final thoughts:

Torches are a bit red and hard to see for people who use low gamma settings, but overall, very competent job. Maybe we will one day have HD resources for AoP or even a small mod compilation for it to complement your work!

I feel as though I should add more to AoP1M6, but I'll do that later whenI've analyzed the level better. Cheers bro!
                        Last edited by Pringles Man; 06-09-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback as always. I'll look on RT lights this late afternoon or evening, if I have time. About HD resoures for AoP, I've done some simple texture edit, since I'm not a texture maker, and I'm doing an alternate skin for thunderbolt enforcer for those who uses Tabun enforcer by Tabun.
                          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

No problem. Maybe I will work on weather for AoP to help further revive it. No promises yet, but seems like a good idea.

And apparently AoP had a soundtrack! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ue3Gm5EGk

If anyone has this soundtrack, please share it!
                            Last edited by Pringles Man; 06-10-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
                              No problem. Maybe I will work on weather for AoP to help further revive it. No promises yet, but seems like a good idea.
                              Yes, sound good. In AoP start there is rain, of course is not HD like that in SMC, since it was made in 1997. I wonder if it's possible to remove old rain and replace with new rain, but I fear it requires to edit the map, and I think It's copyrighted, but not sure about it.
                              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Working...
                              X