Armagon Battle Overhaul (Finally)!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armagon Battle Overhaul (Finally)!!!

Hi. I happen to like Hipnotic. I also happen to like the SMC. But the original Armagon battle made me sad. I asked Seven to inject it with steroids, but I was denied. So I made this total conversion to be used with the beta Hipnotic SMC as a tribute to Seven and his work.

This mod is a pleasant surprise. Now Armagon can shoot nail explosions and grenades, has a particle explosion and sound when he dies, is now fought in a much more creative way with respawning items so you can crank his health up to 10,000 or more : ), and uses a few unused sounds.

This is the only disappointing Hipnotic aspect. It is now fixed. I am working on adding an enforcer shield to him. The code has been copied to all the necessary files to make it work, but the model gets stuck in his legs.

DOWNLOAD...and leave some feedback while you're at it so I can fix the code and whatnot

Armagon Battle
    Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

I'll be looking at this asap. just curious, in its current state, do you have to have the smc to have this work properly?

and, I'm sure that seven would be flattered!
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

YES! This needs the SMC. Otherwise it wouldn't be a tribute would it? You need to compile the code with Seven's BETA Hipnotic code for it to work. The .ent file is independent of anything though, so you can use it where you want. The problem is that you can't adjust Armagon's health without the SMC, so unless you do that, he will have his old health...not to mention only his old attacks too.

Side note: I am planning to make his nails poison you and his explosives inflame you. Added a cool particle effect for his repel attack too.

Comment

Noice!
        Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

Anyone wanna suggest something?? I will try to code your ideas to the best of my ability : )

Comment

Now that you made his health extremely high you definitely need a health bar for him!
            Otherwise the player has no clue how long he still needs to penetrate him and starts to think he is invulnerable.

Like this one:

Instead of copying existing features and effects you should create new ones to make your mod unique.

Idea:
            Split the boss fight into 3 parts.
            1st part --> Give him the new projectiles you already have. Until his health reaches 66%
            2nd part --> He will lose one arm. He can only shoot half the quantity he used to. But now let him summon creatures into the fight. Choose which ones you like. Until his health reaches 33%
            3rd part --> He loses his lower half and is unable to move. He now can only turn and uses the enforcer shield to protect himself. Add a additional idea here if you like.

When he finally died he will raise to one last eternal attack and summons a huge poison cloud which spreads rapidly. The player must run away from it to survive.

That would be a appropriate final boss for the mission pack.

Check your inbox for some hints.

Comment

I've seen some mods where the ogres tossed aimed grenades so you'd be hit if you kept moving in the same direction; perhaps you can add some mortars that are similar?

Comment

here's an idea, don't know if it's even possible qc wise, or what:

have him spawn grimlins that steal your weapons as usual, but with a twist: the said gremlin will in turn hand it over to armagon for him to use.

it could be strategic: let him take a weak weapon, to give you an opening to hit him hard with heavy weapons.
                My Avatars!
                Quake Leagues
                Quake 1.5!!!
                Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                  Idea:
                  Split the boss fight into 3 parts.
                  1st part --> Give him the new projectiles you already have. Until his health reaches 66%
                  2nd part --> He will lose one arm. He can only shoot half the quantity he used to. But now let him summon creatures into the fight. Choose which ones you like. Until his health reaches 33%
                  3rd part --> He loses his lower half and is unable to move. He now can only turn and uses the enforcer shield to protect himself. Add a additional idea here if you like.

When he finally died he will raise to one last eternal attack and summons a huge poison cloud which spreads rapidly. The player must run away from it to survive.

That would be a appropriate final boss for the mission pack.
                  Reminds me very much of the final boss in mexx9d. Except that that's a 4 stage boss fight. And a pretty clever one, too. Just a shame about the slightly bullshit instant death traps earlier in the level. I think that the rest of the episode is fine, although it's been a while.
                  Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
                  Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

Comment

So current ideas:

1. Health bar. I don't know how to do this really, since I am not that good of a coder, but I will try with some help if possible. Any suggestions on qc would be appreciated. I can try to somehow use seven's crosshair code to get an idea of how this is done.

2. Split the boss fight into 3 parts.

-I think I can do this, but chopping his arm off requires model editing which I don't know how to do yet. Maybe I can think of something else, although the stages of the battle are ALWAYS a good idea in every final boss.

-I always thought it would be funny if he lost his body and then his legs start walking around randomly. Then you could destroy them as a finishing touch.

-I asked Seven about spawning gremlins. I think it is possible, but the problem is he responds to gremlins to start an in fight. But he doesn't actually attack them... it's weird. I will have to think about it.

-The poison cloud could work I think, as long as it doesn't mess with the cutscene at the end, which it could.

So the exciting news is that I found a way to make him change his attack patterns as his health goes down, which is promising so far...
                    Last edited by Pringles Man; 07-11-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

The health bar is pretty much just a centerprint(). You could either print a number, or use some of the more unusual characters in the conchars to make a graphical bar, which is more complicated but might look better. Personally, I would **** out and just use numbers.

Model editing is hard! I don't know if the model(s) have unused animations, but if they're anything like the models from the base game, there might well be some. Maybe have it vary the attack pattern, movement speed, weapons that are used. Seperate legs and body would be interesting, but I don't know if the models would support that as-is.

Spawning monsters is very possible. You just need to make sure that they have a clear space to move around, and that you've precached the required models and sounds already. In-fiighting is made to happen in T_Damage() by setting self.enemy to whichever entity was responsible for that damage. The change you would need to make would be here, but the exact nature of what that change would be is up to you.
                      Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
                      Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

Comment

Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
                        1. Health bar. I don't know how to do this really, since I am not that good of a coder, but I will try with some help if possible. Any suggestions on qc would be appreciated. I can try to somehow use seven's crosshair code to get an idea of how this is done.
                        My screenshot was taken from IQ reprised mod. The qc code is included:
                        http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-reprised.html
                        It has nothing to do with the crosshair. Itīs just a centerprint. Update it within the pain function.

I think I can do this, but chopping his arm off requires model editing which I don't know how to do yet. Maybe I can think of something else, although the stages of the battle are ALWAYS a good idea in every final boss.
                        It is not difficult. You are using the darkplaces engine I suppose. So you have 2 options to make it happen:
                        Either delete the arms triangles with qme. Takes 1 minute. Save it as armabody2.mdl. And switch to new model in qc at health 66%. All animations are identical
                        Or even simplier give armagon 2 skins. Delete his arm in the 2nd skin with a texeditor. Switch to 2nd skin at health 66%. No model editing necessary. Use a simple shader for it:
                        Code:
                        progs/armabody.mdl_1
                        {
                                cull disable
                                {
                                        map progs/armagon_1_arm.tga
                        		alphafunc GE128
                        	        rgbGen vertex
                                }
                        	dpshadow
                        }
                        Result:

I always thought it would be funny if he lost his body and then his legs start walking around randomly. Then you could destroy them as a finishing touch.
                        You can remove his body at any time in your code.
                        Armagon == legs. Not the body!
                        His body is a completely separate model and is only attached to his legs. That is why armagon_think() is needed and called at every qc frame.

I asked Seven about spawning gremlins. I think it is possible, but the problem is he responds to gremlins to start an in fight. But he doesn't actually attack them... it's weird. I will have to think about it.
                        A spawning additional monster code is already included in the smc mod. As well as the code to ignore attacks from specific monsters against others. Look in combat.qc.

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                        The health bar is pretty much just a centerprint(). You could either print a number, or use some of the more unusual characters in the conchars to make a graphical bar, which is more complicated but might look better. Personally, I would **** out and just use numbers.
                        The health bar code is available and only needs to be copied over. But you are right, a single number is easier but is kinda small, can be overlooked and looks a little cheap?

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                        Model editing is hard! I don't know if the model(s) have unused animations, but if they're anything like the models from the base game, there might well be some. Maybe have it vary the attack pattern, movement speed, weapons that are used. Seperate legs and body would be interesting, but I don't know if the models would support that as-is.
                        Actually, armagon is splitted into 2 models. Legs is self and body is attached to self.
                        armagon_think() connects them. The code uses .trigger_field for that. This way he can run and shoot at the same time, twist his complete body and other things.

Comment

I'll see what i can do. I think I have the ability to just make this possible. Although the sites for IQ are down it seems...
                          Last edited by Pringles Man; 07-12-2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I'll see what i can do. I think I have the ability to just make this possible. Although the sites for IQ are down it seems...
                            Oh yes, I had to change the address slightly. But I cannot update the old thread as it is locked. New address.

I am amazed someone remembers it When I saw the Chthon screenshot I thought: "wow, it looks like my mod..."
                            Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

Working...
                            X