Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travail - A Quake Journey (some extensions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travail - A Quake Journey (some extensions)

Hello Quakers,

Travail - A Quake Journey is among the Top 10 Quake maps/episodes.
    It brings 15 new single player maps (in 2 episodes) as well as some deathmatch maps. Included is a new soundtrack as well as some new features. It was released in 2007 by distrans, Scragbait, negke, Preach, aguirRe and Asaki.

To bring this unique Quake experience to new players or make elder Quakers play it again, I added some features. They do NOT change the gameplay but aims to increase the overall atmosphere:
    • shellcasing ejects for all three shotgun-types
    • footstep sounds
    • swim / waterwading sounds
    • corrects nail position for both nailguns

There is also a special Darkplaces version available which adds these things in addition:
    • reworked all existing particle effects and added several new ones (trails, blood, weapon impacts, etc.)
    • added particle flames / fire instead of polygon flames /fire

DOWNLOAD Darkplaces version
    DOWNLOAD engine independent version

You should really play this campaign if you didnt do it yet. Have fun with Travail.

Best wishes,
    Seven

Last edited by Seven; 10-13-2016, 10:51 AM. Reason: added 2 Download versions

Nice!
    Thanks Seven!!

Comment

This sooo rings a bell,
      I have the original version sat in my mods folder.
      I will have to give it a go tomorrow, to find out if I have played it before.

Does your upgrade require DarkPlaces?
      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Wow! Travail is one of the best episodes and you Seven improved it even more! Very thanks! Downloading immediately!
        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

looks like it will be worth a play when i have time! good work seven

Comment

its always nice to see great mods get updated with features and fancy-particles effects
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              [...]
              Does your upgrade require DarkPlaces?
              It does since it contains stuff that engines like Mark V don't support, e.g. particle effects or gloss/normal maps.

Maybe Seven could provide a recompiled version which is compatible with vanilla-style ports like Mark V. You may lose a few effects like particle-based flames, but you would still have nice stuff like shell casings, footstep sounds, swim/water wading sounds and nailgun corrections.
              Authentic Models Pack
              OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
              LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Cool, an SMC-flavored Travail! Thanks for upping the topic, NightFright, I wasn't aware of it. And of course, thanks to Seven for his ever-amazing work.
                ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Seven are you using lights created with Winmhcolour in those screenshots? They look beautiful. Ok they are easy to create with WinMHcolour so anyone can make them, anyway here's the link with a .pk3 file containing those lights, for those too lazy/impatient to create by themselves

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb85ywgqy6...ights.pk3?dl=0
                  Last edited by Blood Vengeance; 10-06-2016, 04:32 AM.
                  Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
                    Seven are you using lights created with Winmhcolour in those screenshots? They look beautiful.
                    Hello Blo

Comment

Seven are you using lights created with Winmhcolour in those screenshots? They look beautiful.
                      Hello Blood Vengeance,

I always use photoshop on my screenshots. *just kidding*
                      I think that one reason for them looking "different" to how other Quake looks like are my weird settings of:
                      - brightness (I make heavy use of the "custom brightness" color gradient options)
                      - gamma
                      - contrast
                      - bloom

I see a lot of Quake screenshots of other people here or elsewhere and they always differ from my Quake quite a lot.
                      Most of the time they are much darker. I do not like dark dark games. I want to see the details of a map and all of its structure and of course monsters, particles and decals and so on. Their authors spend so much time creating them, wouldnt it be a pity to leave them all in darkness ?
                      I very rare actually PLAY Quake. I always have modding things on my mind. I suck big time playing Quake. That is why I usually fly with notarget and noclip through maps. Most of the time testing new things, ideas and features. The only maps / mods I really played from start to end is Quake and its 2 mission packs. No joke.

But I will check to see if I have any .lit files in my Travail folder and come back to you if I have.

EDITED:
                      Yes, I use a vised and lit pack from jakub1. jakub1 is a person with very good sense for maps. Especially lighting and coloring (you surely know his rtlight projects).
                      If you like, here they are: click me
                      /EDITED

Ok they are easy to create with WinMHcolour so anyone can make them, anyway here's the link with a .pk3 file containing those lights, for those too lazy/impatient to create by themselves
                      Yes, WinMHcolour can make .lit files within seconds, but the ones you linked have in some areas too strong red colors in my humble opinion. That is one of the few known issues of WinMHcolour, it produces quite strong red light at times...

================================================

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                      Cool, an SMC-flavored Travail! Thanks for upping the topic, NightFright, I wasn't aware of it. And of course, thanks to Seven for his ever-amazing work.
                      Hello bfg666,

I do this to keep my coding skills in shape and to read code from other people than JC.
                      It is very exciting to read through different peoples code. It is like different handwritings !
                      When reading through Quake´s 1.06 source code you will see that it is quite different compared to Hipnotic code for example.
                      Or Zerstörer, or Beyong Belief, or Nehahra, … etc.

My coding skills are comparabel to handwriting from a young child, while Patrick Martin has handwriting like a grown man.
                      And when you read LordHavoc´s code it is like an alien handwriting. Very hard to understand and extremely complex.
                      Only comparable to Dresk, as he seems to be a scholar from LordHavoc in his coding style. Very similar.

That is why I always enjoy reading code from other big/famous qc mods. Yes, like Travail, Quoth, etc.
                      And whenever I have the time I try to extend them by adding features or fix existing bugs like in the Abyss of Pandemonium mod.

Here is a list of some other extensions/improvements I made to well known mods:
                      Code:
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/quoth.html"]Quoth	[/URL]			Quoth Ver.2.1   Pack  with  particle effects from SMC.rar
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/bbelief.html"]Beoynd Belief[/URL]			bbelief   extended and fixes  !!! 20140621.zip
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/aopfm_v2.html"]Abyss of Pandemonium[/URL]	        AOP - The Final Mission v2.0  extended_20160330.rar
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nehahra.html"]Nehahra[/URL]			Nehahra_extended_for_Darkplaces_20160527.rar
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nsoe2.html"]Soul of Evil: Indian Summer[/URL]	nsoe_devkit_with_particle_flames_+_fixed_book_reading.rar
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/zer.html"]Zerstörer[/URL]			Zerstoerer 1.1 + zer1m3_fix + SMC particles v1.2.rar
                      - [COLOR="Yellow"]Drake[/COLOR]				Drake_with_particle_flames_+_candles.pk3
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/travail.html"]Travail[/URL]			Travail_Extended_20160904_Seven.rar
                      - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/digs01.html"]Digs01 9-maps Episode[/URL]	        digs01  full Episode  9 maps  with flames + impulse 12  + nails fixed.rar
                      - [COLOR="Yellow"]Hipnotic[/COLOR]			SMC - Hipnotic v5.02
                      - [COLOR="Yellow"]Rogue[/COLOR]				SMC - Rogue v5.02
                      I added the file name of the newest versions behind it, so you can better search for them. They are all available in this forum. Please use the forums search-function. If you have troubles finding them, I can reupload them.

Have fun,
                      Seven

Comment

I use standard brightness/contrast/gamma values so mine looks darker. Thanks for the .lit created by Jakub, they're beautiful and better thant those I've just uploaded. I'm seeing the list of extensions/improvements done to other mods. I have Quoth, Abyss of Pandemonium, Zerstorer, Nehahra, Soe Indian Summer. I don't have Digs01 and for Beyond Belief I have a version without particle flames but don't know it you've released a version with flames. Do you plan to make in the future another similar cool extension also for the awesome Soul of Evil and Rapture?
                        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

I have Quoth, Abyss of Pandemonium, Zerstorer, Nehahra, Soe Indian Summer. I don't have Digs01 and for Beyond Belief I have a version without particle flames but don't know it you've released a version with flames.
                          Hello Blood Vengeance,

Please find both Beyond Belief extension packs below:
                          1.) Engine independent (runs on every Quake engine)
                          2.) Darkplaces specific (needs Darkplaces 20140513 or newer build)

Both have these additions:
                          • added "Previous weapon" (impulse 12) support
                          • player footsteps sounds
                          • corrects nail position for nailguns
                          • entity issue fixed that prevented the player from escaping the spike trap if using a modern engine

The Darkplaces version has these extras:
                          • reworked all existing particle effects and added several new ones (trails, blood, weapon impacts, etc.)
                          • added particle flames / fire instead of polygon flames /fire

DOWNLOAD

Some screenshots from the Darkplaces version:

Do you plan to make in the future another similar cool extension also for the awesome Soul of Evil and Rapture?
                          Everything is possible. If you have suggestions, do not hesitate to ask.
                          Whenever I have the time I will work on new mods.

Best wishes,
                          Seven

Comment

Yes, yes! Thanks a lot Seven, now even Beyond Belief got his nice particle flames and bugfixes, in near future I'll release another update to Beyond Belief reforged, so I'll add this for sure. About suggestions, well I have a lot, maybe too many, I think the most part of Quake players agree on which ones are the best releases, anyway in my opinion the best options are:

- Coven of ebony
                            - Descent
                            - Honey
                            - Mexx9
                            - Necrobrood
                            - Nightjourney
                            - Operation Ourth Majik (especially previous weapon support, torches appear only in last map before the boss, in the tomb of Ourth Majik)
                            - Phantasmal garrison
                            - Rapture
                            - Soul of evil

Also: Once upon atrocity, At The gates of Midian and Dawn of eternity by Necros all share the same progs.dat? The same for the Alk series released by Shauna Kona Ross
                            I Know the one you made for Soe indian summer works well also in Unforgiven since they have the same progs.dat, but does it work for A roman wilderness of pain? Flames disappeared when I've tested them, so I've made something wrong or the progs.dat is different. Also the excellent This Onion by Mike Woodham deserve a nice extension, but there is a bug I don't know if Darkplaces related or possible to fix: When in last map (This Shalloth) you are near the big imp statue and start to have explosions near it, the game slow so much that almost freeze the game.
                            Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                              Here is a list of some other extensions/improvements I made to well known mods:
                              Thanks Seven! I knew about some of them but not all.
                              ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                              ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Working...
                              X