• Show
Clear All

• OSJC's model 'fix' add-on for Alien Quake

first go get Alien-Quake : https://www.moddb.com/mods/alien-quake

now you've got some context...

heres my contribution to it...

OSJC's Alien quake model 'fix' 2020 OSJC Latchford
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/yg6uqw...e_fix.zip/file

so yeah. Alien quake was quite a thing back in the day. its infamous for its C&D order it got from fox, though its still available on moddb.
    Back then I played the shit out of it as it was the only real alien fps available on pc anywhere at the time.
    however I recently gave it a nostalgic replay and found some of the models used to be simply abhorrent to my eyes now!

so I decided to give it some love.

now, I'm no model artist, but I can skin ok. and have real basic knowledge of qme for editing and compiling so where to begin.
    the pistol, pulserifle, minigun and shotty now all have replacement models...

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8f...4tmyys60zg.jpg

heres the low-down of whats been done:

the pistol.
    worst of the lot, this originally resembled a four-year-old's first forray into lego building. and it was angled, although the other models were centred. thats another personal bug-bear of mine. grrr.
    thank god you barely used it in game.
    now it uses the doom-pistol model from ypod. much nicer... yeah the arm is a bit rough but as I say, you barely use it.

the shotgun.
    this was originally the beta-quake shotty. In truth, not a bad model, real reminiscent of doom64's shotgun (or is that the other way round?) however, I'd been dying to use the team fortress shotgun model for some time now, and it fitted in with what I had planned for the other weapons in the mod too. so, a bit of a turn to make the angled nature less ott and this was done...

the pulse-rifle/grenadelauncher
    Oh dear... what was that all about eh? A mangled brown quake gl rehash that couldnt have looked less likea pulserifle if it tried..
    this model is twice as bad as its used for two guns too! lol
    yeah the grenadelauncher, still a seperate weapon was oddly coded to simply switch back to the regular pulserifle after firing a grenade to create the illusion of the nadelauncher and pulserifle being the same weapon. the only real 'tell' being a green and red light on the top to detemine fire-modes (making it even less like a pulserifle.)
    so yeah this mess had to go.
    so I decided to use the team-fortress spas12 as a base, removing the barrels and foresight on the barrel and completely re-jigging the skin to better look pulse-rifley! yeah its still a bit of mess but such an improvement in my opinion...
    again, as with the shotty, a bit of a turn to make the angled nature less ott and this too was done...
    to represent the different firing modes on the skin, instead of adding un-needed stuff to the top, instead the part that would be the ammo counter on the side of the pulse rifle is unlit when in rifle-mode and lit up when in grenade mode. simple really but much more elegant...
    now, the world model is not actually too bad at-all! a simple recolour from brown to green/grey combo and that was all it needed to match.
    to account for the lack of muzzleflash, the projectiles are now a fullbright tracer-effect-projectile that has also been repositioned to match the angled nature of the gun.
    the grenade projectiles are the ones from quake 1.5 but a little sleeker to match the movie some...

the minigun.
    I dont know (nor do I want to) where they got the original model for but it was wank, pure and simple.
    for this, all I did was use the team-fortress mini-gun view model and alter it's position some, again, as with the pulse rifle the projectiles are also the fullbright tracer-effect-projectile that has been repositioned to match the angled nature of the gun.
    the world model for this is the turret minigun from bossman's lair in malice... its not a bad match.
    Ive also changed the sound on this weapon to the quake2 chaingun sound in order to make it feel as powerfull as it looks and is in-game...

other models
    to account for these new angled models, the smartgun (and its projectile) and the flamer have had their positions changed to match the new stuff...

*edit*
    oh just fyi, I use fov 110 not fov 90 so it just occured to me you may not see the ammo-counter bit on this resolution if you use fov's smaller than 100 or dont have a translucent stat-bar on...

Last edited by osjclatchford; 11-30-2020, 10:50 AM.

just an fyi, Ive updated this mod to include a few minor changes and one major change, evident in this screenie:
    https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ae...5plpalhvzg.jpg
    yep, I did the flamethhrower skin!

this is based on an alternative shotgun model that includes an added hand. its also been physically modified to better physically resemble the aliens flamer and the skin has had a complete overhaul, again, using parts from the tf spas12.
    these physical and graphical changes combine to include the perforated heatshield on the barrel, carry handle/sight(?) and a more slimline foregrip.
    I wanted to make a new skin for the flamer pickup model but could not open the model in qme so for now that remains default

the minor changes are a couple of new sounds: the grenades now have improved sound effects;
    firing - to better match the movie 'aliens'
    and bouncing - to better match the sound of the bouncing grenades in 'alien ressurection'...

anyway, same link as above for the file. have fun roastin' xenos!

Comment

ok, final (?) tinkering to this now. managed to get the flamer's world model reskinned and found a whole new model for the pistol from a mod called left4quake, heres a pic:
      https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/05...p5sc0d21zg.jpg

looks good eh?

perfect for obliterating xenomorph faces inside cramped tunnel*

same link as on the op...

*note dont actually try this in the game... you'll probably die faster than vasquez... save it for shootable buttons or eggs or something...

Comment

Kravitz's comment has received more than 1,360 likes while her Instagram post overall has received more than 396,840 likes as of Sunday evening.

virtual phone

Comment

Working...
        X