No announcement yet.

(Inofficial) Shrak v2.1 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an mdl, those don't have any lighting. It would need to be a bsp. Quake doesn't always work the way one would like to.
    Last edited by NightFright; 01-19-2021, 03:42 PM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

May you release the patch on the upcoming weekend? Like, on Saturday evening?

Comment

I am basically finished, so maybe it's possible. There were a few things I still added after all, so delaying the release wasn't for nothing.
        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

I just hope that those "things" won't break anything else...
          Last time I tested it and everything was lookin' good.

Comment

No worries, this time code changes were minimal and had nothing to do with essential game functions, only text-related. Nevertheless, I have played through the entire game yet again to make sure everything still works (which it does).
            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Version 2.13 has been released.

Besides the definitive handling of the secret level (regardless which Shrak version you use - in the end I had to include a full map after all, hob.bsp, since Quake does not allow you to define two maps for the same exit), there are three major changes worth pointing out:

1) The runes display in the HUD was useless in the original TC already. Originally meant to show your progress after completing an episode, here you get a rune for the first four circuit cards/levels and after that, the display serves no purpose any more. I realized it was my last shot to do something about it, so I did. Since I couldn't change anything about the statusbar itself (it's hardcoded and out of reach for any QuakeC modification), I simply replaced all four runes graphics with transparent blank images so they simply aren't shown at all when you pick up the first four cards.

2) Since I still wanted some kind of progress feedback for the player after collecting each card, you will now get a brief notification on the top left, telling you how many cards you have collected (e.g. "Cards found: 3/9"). Even though you could ofc also see how far you are in the game by checking the amount of revealed buttons in the hub, I consider this a fair (and more functional) compensation for the removal of the HUD runes. It would have been more ideal to have a statusbar-based solution, but for the reason stated above, this was not an option.

3) I had missed to fix a remaining issue in "Nightfall" in previous patches which I finally wanted to address. When activating the underwater blue ankh panel, you actually had to press the panel a second time before the nearby gate would open. This was annoying and also potentially confusing since not every player would try a second time to push the panel if nothing is happening. A simple ENT patch later, the gate now opens immediately after using the ankh, as it was meant to happen.

Download "Shrak" patch 2.13 (1.4 MB)

Changelog:
              [NEW] Proper secret level handling for Shrak v2.0 (Retail) and Shrak v2.0 (patched)
              [NEW] Notification for amount of collected circuit cards added
              [NEW] Useless runes (shown after finding the first four cards) hidden in HUD
              [NEW] Quake.rc integrated into pak file
              [FIX] Blue ankh panel in "Nightfall" no longer needs to be triggered twice
              [FIX] Minor adjustments for story texts

Since I did a full playthrough with these changes to make sure everything works as intended, no further adjustments will be necessary and it's safe to say this is the final version this time.
              Last edited by NightFright; 01-23-2021, 09:05 AM.
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

monsters.qc

- Monsters sometimes do not move fix

What does this fix exactly and what was the intitial purpose of implememting something like that?
                The trouble could be in somthing else - it's just my assumption.

I noticed a different behavior of Viscor - if he can't see you, he won't follow you.

Like he spotted me from the other side of the corridor, he comes to me, I hide behind the corner just a bit to see his right hand for example = he walks while standing on the same place and doesn't follow me if i hide behind the corner right around him.

In other words = he doesn't look for me if I get out of his sight behind the corner. See screenshots.

Original patch v2.0 has not such an issue.

In original patch v2.0 he looks for me by walking though corrdors and rooms and he doesn't stuck in the angles of corners.

mark_v_0009.png

mark_v_0010.png

mark_v_0008.png

Another question is = have you done anything elso to diffilculty settings except 33% health reduction for mosnters on easy skill (has been removed already in 2.13) ?
                Last edited by OV3RDR!VE; 01-31-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

This AI fix was applied for the original Quake monsters which are nowhere to be found in this TC. This has zero impact on Shrak gameplay. Original QuakeC had some situations where monsters wouldn't react. One can argue about whether it was necessary to be fixed in this TC or not, but it really has no consequences. In general, this is code that has been implemented in many Quake mods since the late 90s.

I can compare the source files again with my modifications, but I am pretty sure that I did nothing that could alter enemy behavior. What I DID do was to eliminate unnecessary brackets from the code, like { } in an if/else with just one command following. This was done in 2.13, but it's in line with original QuakeC sourcecode and makes everything a lot more legible.

And no, difficulty settings are not touched in any other way. After undoing the -33% hp reduction, we are back to vanilla behavior.
                  Last edited by NightFright; 01-31-2021, 03:02 PM.
                  Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Alright, the issue I mentioned above was spotted while playing on skill 3 (which is usually the skill I play at). Haven't tested it on other skills though. Also, I had a short-term suspicion that monster ZED has less HP on skill 3 in comparison with original patch v2.0... but I think it was a misleading suspicion after all...

Comment

The issue apparently applies to ALL enemies. When they lose line of sight, they stop attacking.

Since it was such a fundamental issue, it had to be something in ai.qc. In fact, there was a compiler warning fix I applied at the beginning of CheckAnyAttack where I wrote return TRUE while it had to be return FALSE:

Code:
                      float () CheckAnyAttack =
                      {
                          if (!enemy_vis)
                              // return;   // Code fix
                              return (FALSE);   // Code fix
                      [...]

A real facepalm mistake! After changing that and testing it ingame, enemies now chase you around corners etc as intended. No idea how I didn't notice this during my playthrough with v2.13. Thanks a lot for reporting this, it was not so obvious to spot!

Before I release the fix, please test it by yourself with the progs.dat attached below, but it should work.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NightFright; 02-01-2021, 03:15 AM.
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

So, I tested your latest progs.dat and it looks to me as if now everything works as intended.

Viscors chase me even if i hide from their sight somewhere, they look for me in other rooms trying to find out where I'am.

I completed only "under dwellings" (caverns.bsp) level for this test and I think it was just enough.

Hope that there is nothing else left as "bizzare" as this one

Comment

Version 2.14 has been released.

Download "Shrak" patch 2.14 (1.6 MB)

Changelog:
                          [FIX] Monsters did not hunt player when not in line of sight

This should be a lesson to me. No project release without excessive beta testing before. Pretty much all of the four additional patches would not have been necessary if I had gathered feedback in advance. But well, the result is what matters, and hopefully we finally have a bug-free version of the game now.
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Noice!

Do you mind sharing how do you decompiled the source?
                            Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

To make it short: Ran the original progs.dat through frikdec and fteqcc, then compared differences of each file with WinMerge and adding what was missing.

Had to learn how QC works in general first, though. There's no way you get this done without knowing what is going on with the code. Also, the files wouldn't recompile without massive adjustments.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
                              X