Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures - jakub's take

Hi quakers

I finished texture pack for Abyss of Pandemonium. Unlike my previous projects this one is much smaller in scope and file size. There is already AoP HD texture pack, but I wanted to make new pack that covers all textures and respects some strange AoP quirks, such as:
    • there are many textures that have the same names as the ones used in vanila Q1, but the textures are different,
    • there are several cases of textures having different names in different AoP levels,
    • there are several cases of different textures from different AoP levels having the same name
    • etc....

I don't know if it's a result of troubled and rushed development, but it's quite a mess. All these inconsistencies are the reason why we can't just simply copy HD textures from QRP id1 pack because the names match. Names match, textures themselves do not. You would encounter strange "bugs" like brick texture being used in cave etc... I checked all the above mentioned duplicities and other problematic texture names and made a new pack. And as usually I tried to stay as close to the original as possible.

Almost all credits goes to the QRP team behind Quake HD textures.

AoP features 331 textures, however this pack contains only 191 textures, the rest is covered by id1 texture pack by QRP.
    completely new made by me are +/- 70 textures.
    remaining textures are slightly edited /or renamed/ textures by QRP team

You still need to have id1 HD texture pack by QRP in id1 directory!

Keep in mind that AoP is not a master piece in any way. It's a product of its' time and HD textures don't make it suddenly 10-out-of-10 experience. It has its' flaws, but i like it and and maybe there are others like me.

some examples in action

download textures here
    alternative download here (courtesy of webangel)

AoP is seriously unbalanced in the later levels. You can easily run out of ammo, especially on higher difficulties. A few years ago somebody edited entfiles to compensate for the missing ammo, but whoever made it went really overboard with newly added ammunition. It was almost ridiculous - ammo everywhere up to the point where the whole mission pack looses any challenge at all. I have greatly reduced the extra ammo boxes to the level where it's not so hopeless like in the original version, but you will still feel restrained by ammo. It's definitely playable on hard, but saving bullets is still recommended. Extract entfiles from zip file linked below and put them into Quake/AoP/maps directory.

Download entfiles here.
    Last edited by jakub1; 10-10-2023, 11:36 AM.
    my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
    Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
    Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Nice Work Jakub.
    Kind regards
    Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Noice!
      Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

Hello Jakub,

...and another really great looking texture pack !
          I hope it gets used a lot by players.

Thank you very much for still working on and for this special game.

Best wishes,
          Seven

Comment

Working...
          X