Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright!

I don't understand how I am able to run Doom 3, Quake 2, Quake 3, & Quake 4 on almost ultra quality and I can't get Quake 1 to run for anything the way I want it too. At first I thought it was the dreaded EPSILON build that was the reason for all the problems so I went and downloaded the latest 2014 Darkplaces engine to begin constructing the game step by step. I downloaded everything as was said to do so in the threads and got all the required materials and constructed it all up down to the last letter in the read me files. I even downgraded from the Rygels textures to the QRP ones and still keep getting the same exact problems. It only happens when I insert a SMC. As soon as I use it with any kind of graphical updates the game goes straight to hell. The start map runs perfect on high gloss and RT World & Shadows and pretty much the works. As soon as I get on the slipgate to start E1M1 The loading is ridiculous. It will stop on the spider.mdl or the soldier.mdl and literaly sit there for five minutes and then it slowly kicks in and it takes another good 2 to even see the screen saying the player has entered the game. As soon as it starts the screen freezes showing the players reflection for a few seconds and the pops in there. I don't know what it is or why but if I just let them kill me and restart it works flawlessly. This isn't supposed to be happening just by using an SMC from the way everyone talks. Not to mention I wasn't even using the epsilon build. Could this be a driver or graphic card issue? As soon as I remove the SMC presto it's perfect again and loads up everything. But like I said the SMC works without any graphic updates flawlessly.
    Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

• Hello,

I was afraid of it for a long time, but now it is confirmed:
      A Chinese company is selling the SMC via the internet.

I found the offer on a dirty website and ordered it. Today a small package arrived with this content:

It contains a small board with USB connection in a white plastic housing, that you can screw to your computer case. It will autoconnect and download the current version of the "small mod compilation".

The manual, which comes with it, links to the quakeone forum and says:
      "Use at your own risk. And always be aware of what you are doing."

=======================

Hello,

Having talked with Cobalt a few weeks ago about DP_ENT_COLORMOD, a new idea was born to increase the monster variations further more.

Now I had the time to play around with this idea and it really adds almost unlimited skin variations of one monster model.

Put this into the monsters spawn functions to randomly change their skin:
      Code:
      self.colormod_x = random ();
      if (self.colormod_x < 0.5)
      	self.colormod_x = self.colormod_x + 0.5;
      self.colormod_y = random ();
      if (self.colormod_y < 0.5)
      	self.colormod_y = self.colormod_y + 0.5;
      self.colormod_z = random ();
      if (self.colormod_z < 0.5)
      	self.colormod_z = self.colormod_z + 0.5;
      Finetune the limit values to avoid "extreme" color results. "0.5" is a good start.

Click on any of these random screenshots and you will always see different soldiers
      (I used r_fullbright 1 while taking the screenshots to better see them)

Now imagine the effect with the multimodel/multiskin feature enabled...
      Finally we have the monster variations that I always wanted...

Kind regards.

Comment

• Nice

Color variation is a great idea

Comment

• Don't worry about all my issues up there

Talisa brought it to my attention that using additional features such as smc and lights can bring a slower computer to it's knees so I'm going to keep all the other stuff for when I upgrade. I can't wait to play it full speed with all the additional content added in. It just sucks my crumy laptop is a slow processing weakling.

Comment

• Is it possible?

I'm not even sure if this would be possible but I think a kickass add on for Quake would be a reload animation. For instance while using the double barrel breaking it down and adding two more shells would look sweet and add a lot more realism into the game.

Comment

• @krymzon
              i and seven have talked about reloading before, but the problem with this is that, as you can see in the HD content list thread i made, there are a whole lot of different weapon-models available.

people like to use different models, and adding reloading would mean that either all of these models would need to be animated to add reloading anims, which is a crazy lot of work....
              or the mod would force the user to use a specific weapon-model which is not a good thing, forcing people to use certain replacement content which they might not like is bad

the QC-side is def do-able, but adding reloading would mean a lot of work or forcing people to use certain replacement models
              second is just not an option, and first isnt do-able without people stepping up to animate all the different models there are
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Working good but.

I got everything working good but there seems to be a slight glitch with the Ghost animations. When The ones that fly up out of the body spinning while going in the air they just sit there and dont move. Also the demon that pulls the spirit out of the body just comes down and goes back up without pulling the spirit out of the body. Do I need to just reset them all to default and run the game and then reactivate them again later to work properly?

Comment

• Hello Krymzon 45,

Thank you for trying to give bug reports. That is always appreciated !
                  But please stop to post false bug reports and start to read readme´s.

Life will be so much easier for you if you start to read them

These hints you have missed by not reading them:
                  1.) In 1st post (directly beside the Download button) these letters are printed in green
                  Please READ the included readme.txt
                  2.) Directly in the main download you will find the readme.txt with this:
                  Please use the included autoexec.cfg sample
                  3.) In the autoexec.cfg you will find this:
                  Read the included main Readme.txt
                  4.) And of course this:
                  Please delete your old autoexec.cfg and use this new one

All these "hints" have been written on purpose.
                  The autoexec.cfg includes cvar settings that you need to play without bugs.
                  And I am not talking about SMC cvars only...
                  It is all explained behind these funny: // characters for your convenience.

Thank you for your understanding.

Have fun with your Quake.

Comment

• Thanks Seven.

I officially feel like an idiot. The problem the entire time was the new models you put in the latest SMC. After I set the spider and Arfit to not replace any monsters in the game it is running flawlessly with RT World and everything enabled. I also downloaded the lower version of Quake Reforged monster skins and got great performance. So I take it some of the models in the SMC must be high quality and with my current set up it caused it to really lag. As far as the ghosts I got those to work as well. I apologize for being a pain off and on, I am getting a lot better and more familiar as to what I need to do and all the proper variations of putting these mods together.

Comment

• Is there a way to get this to work with dmsp2? I've been playing dmsp2 a bit lately again and was really hoping to play with the random monster replacements from smc, but I can't seem to get it to work. Just curious if there was something I'm missing to make it work or if they just won't work together?

Comment

• Hello Legend,

Original Quake´s game mechanic (= progs.dat) had to be modified for the mod dmsp2.
                        Also original Quake´s game mechanic had to be modified for the smc.

You can only use 1 progs.dat at a time. So you can not easily use the smc 'together' with the dmsp2 mod.

But if you only want to use the custom monsters in your dmsp2, then this is fairly easy.
                        You have the smc source and with it, you have access to the custom monsters .qc files.
                        That is pretty much all you need (beside their models and sounds). I always paid attention to keep the custom monsters mechanic compact in a single .qc file.

I think everybody who knows a tiny little bit about qc can merge these 2 mods together. You have to copy the custom monster qc files over to the source of dmsp2, add a randomnes to each original monster spawn function to spawn the custom monsters instead (as it is done in the smc) and it should work.
                        I do not know the process of monster-spawning inside the dmsp2 mod. Mabe you even only need to add the custom monsters into that function and you are already good to go.

Delete all the smc-crap-things out of the custom monsters .qc files, which you do not need.
                        Compile your new dmsp2 source and have fun.

By the way, it was indeed a brilliant idea to create the dmsp2 mod and with it the possibility to play all dm maps in single player + coop (even though there are more than enough good fan-made SP maps available).

Best wishes.

Comment

• Thanks for the info seven. The dmsp2 file that I found doesn't seem to have the source unfortunately even though it has the folder for the source.

If I do manage to find the source, do you know a good page where I could find info on quakec tutorials? I never tried editing quake before. Only Doom.

(on a side not, I found your older standalone files for footsteps and nailgun position fix files. How do I get those to work in directq? The readme says they work in any engine, but I can't seem to get them to work in directq.)

Comment

• @Seven
                            What is yout current DarkPlaces favorite version/autobuild?
                            And why - speed/functionality or both?
                            Thanx!

Comment

• I've been having some DoE trouble lately. It seems as though the super wrath death explosion no longer plays sound or deals any damage. Wrath-type enemies also suffer from a glitch where they will cause an in-fight with an enemy, but that enemy won't respond and will continue to attack you even though the wrath is attacking it. Furthermore, I found that the hellspawn doesn't divide anymore either. Sadly, DoE seems to have the most problems out of all official Quake level releases.
                              Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legend View Post
                                Thanks for the info seven. The dmsp2 file that I found doesn't seem to have the source unfortunately even though it has the folder for the source.

If I do manage to find the source, do you know a good page where I could find info on quakec tutorials? I never tried editing quake before. Only Doom.

(on a side not, I found your older standalone files for footsteps and nailgun position fix files. How do I get those to work in directq? The readme says they work in any engine, but I can't seem to get them to work in directq.)
                                Hello Legend,

I do not know if the source code for dmsp2 exist. If you cannot find it in quaddicted´s archive, then you might not find it anywhere...
                                But you can decompile and recompile it fine. I just tested it. So, yes you can start working on it.

Regarding QuakeC tutorials:
                                You will find the best ones at inside3d. There is a dedicated tutorial page as well as the forum itself of course.

Regarding the footsteps and nailposition mods:
                                The nailposition mod is engine independent. But the footsteps mod uses DP extensions, so you cannot use it inside DirectQ. But it only uses those extensions to detect the texture you are walking on (and plays different sounds depending on that).
                                You can easily delete that part and it will work in any engine.

Originally posted by BEEF34T3R View Post
                                @Seven
                                What is yout current DarkPlaces favorite version/autobuild?
                                And why - speed/functionality or both?
                                Thanx!
                                Hello BEEF34T3R,

Do you mean in respect to the SMC ?
                                In that case, you will find details about the recommended engine build inside the readme.txt of Ver.4.80.
                                In any other case, the newer the better I guess. 20140513 should be fine.

Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
                                I've been having some DoE trouble lately. It seems as though the super wrath death explosion no longer plays sound or deals any damage. Wrath-type enemies also suffer from a glitch where they will cause an in-fight with an enemy, but that enemy won't respond and will continue to attack you even though the wrath is attacking it. Furthermore, I found that the hellspawn doesn't divide anymore either. Sadly, DoE seems to have the most problems out of all official Quake level releases.
                                Hello Pringles Man,

I think you wrote some words about it in the DP error reporting thread as well.
                                First of all, I would like to say that the Rogue mission pack is not buggy at all in my opinion. But lets get back to your questions:

1.) super wrath death explosion no longer plays sound or deals any damage:
                                That is what happens when a bad coder starts to write mods...
                                This bug is in the SMC sinde day1 and it slept trough all our eyes and fingers.
                                Thank you very much for mentioning it.
                                I see that you are familiar with QC, so please do the following to fix it:
                                Open wrath.qc and ad this line directly before line 197:
                                sound (self, CHAN_WEAPON, "weapons/r_exp3.wav", 1, ATTN_NORM);
                                Open s_wrath.qc and ad this line directly before lines 440, 463 and 488:
                                sound (self, CHAN_WEAPON, "weapons/r_exp3.wav", 1, ATTN_NORM);

2.) Wrath´s in-fight glitch when fighting against other monsters:
                                That is not a bug. That is coded as is in original Rogue source.
                                The reason why other monsters only very rarely get mad at wrath monster is, because they only have a ranged missile weapon which inflicts very small radius damage: 20.
                                The code inside the radius damage function substracts the distance from impact from damage, so the resulting damage is too small and will be dealed like "0".
                                If you increase the wrath´s damage value from "20" to "30", the monster will almost always get mad at the wrath and attack them. With a value of "40" (like the ogre´s grenade has), other monster will always get mad at the wrath and attack them.

The SMC gives you the possibility to adjustable every monsters properties (like attack or health values). Try it and you will see...

3.) hellspawn doesn't divide anymore
                                No, it does. I just tested it. What you have to consider is the skill you are playing in, the set flag in the map and/or the randomness factor.
                                If you change it, so that all tarbabies (spawns) have the so called "mitosis" ability, and that it never failes (= delete randomess), you will see how they divide just fine.
                                So, in the end it is quite a rare ability, which by the way only happens once per tarbaby. After it has divided it will no more have the ability.
                                Yes, I agree. That feature should be "happen" more often, as I also find it neat. I will add a possibility to adjust this behaviour in the next smc release.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X