X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven
    replied
    Hello Jugin,

You will miss a lot of fun and interesting things when you are using a stripped down version. Maybe you will change your mind and want to try out the one or the other SMC feature later on...
    You are always welcome to come back and try the regular mod.

Anyway, here is what you are asking for
    I checked fteqcc´s box: "Quake 1.06 bugfixes" and this is what it compiled for me:

Original Quake / Gameplay Bugfixes:
    • Fixed Quake's original player pain sound bug in skill 3
    • Fixed all weapon projectiles "interact/explode on sky" bug (aka "solid sky bug")
    • Fixed Monster-count bug for swimming monsters
    • Fixed original ID1 fish model death animation bug
    • (Super)-NailGun's nail position correction
    • Fixed zombie flesh-projectile spawn-position for 2nd attack animation
    • Fixed tarbabies bug: They no longer get stuck on ledges and steps

Darkplaces fixes for original Quake are also included.

DOWNLOAD

Have fun with your Quake,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• Jugin
    replied
    Hello Seven!
    Thanks for the answer!
    But I do not know how to program. And I do not understand anything in the source code.

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello Jugin,

First of all, there are almost no (serious) gameplay bugs in Quake 1.06.
    So you will not get stuck or have gamestoppers when using original Quake 1.06 gamecode.

The SMC is developed for DarkPlaces. Spike made it possible to have most features run in FTE as well. But I did not test them thoroughly. Particle visuals differed quite a bit when I tested it last time. I do not know how it looks today. Also, some smc features are made with DP fixes enabled in mind, so they may bring issues with other engines.

The scope of SMC is a lot bigger than fixing remaining gameplay bugs in Quake 1.06.
    You can enable/disable almost all SMC features to make Quake experience match your personal likings. The SMC, ontop of that, also fixes all DarkPlaces specific Quake bugs. As Darkplaces handles some things differently than the regular Quake engine, it needs in some areas special treatment and therefore some fixes for regular Quake as well.

Back to your question:
    If you only want to have SMC´s Quake 1.06 fixes, then you do not need the .pk3 at all. You only need the source code and copy out all the gameplay fixes. You will find a list of all fixes in the SMC history/changelog.
    I always try to comment the source, so you should be able to find all fixes described in the history/changelog.
    As mentioned above, do not forget to also use the Darkplaces specific fixes (most of them found at the beginning of smc_config.cfg). You have to add them into your autoexec.cfg.

If you have further questions or diffculties finding all fixes, feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• Jugin
    replied
    Hello Seven!
    If I need only "Original Quake Gameplay Bugfixes", what files to delete in the ".pk3" ?

Leave a comment:

• DoodGuy
    replied
    Hey Seven,
    When I loaded your multiskin mod the monsters didn't have any textures, they were just white. And no, I didn't had any other monster replacement mods. This also occured to me when I tried to load Quake Reforged monsters

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello CharlieSandford,

First of all, please make use of the edit button. That helps to keep post and pages low.

No, you surely are not dumb. Maybe a little helpless but hopefully not hopeless.
    An engine dev should have basic understanding of how to create/handle .pak files.
    As well as open models in QME and do some basic edits.
    These things seem to be holding you back from your mod at the moment.

If your engine cannot use/handle the file you downloaded from above post, the first step you should have done is to check if the gamecode mod works at least. You only need to create a pak2.pak and put the progs.dat in it. That way your engine should load up the new gamecode.
    As you can see from the included source and files you need additional player models. If your engine does not find it, it prints out the first error message that your wrote.
    So, what you should do to quickly have a result: Make copies of the original player model and rename them according to the needed file names. They must match the names exactly. That way all files are present/loaded and your engine will run the mod to make further tests.

If your engine does not support .pk3´s it probably also does not support subfolders in the mod folder. So simply extracting a .pk3 will not help. You need to pack them in a .pak file to make sure they get loaded.
    Not supporting MD3 is not an issue here. As I wrote in the readme.txt, you can also use Trickles MDL models with the mod. Be aware they have different names (see above).
    You only need to combine Trickles weapons with a weaponless original id1 player model. That is done via a few clicks in QME. Rename them according to the included mod files afterwards and it should work.
    The weapon animation will automagically fit to the id1 player model. As long as engine restrictions are kept (tris count, etc.) your engine will load them just fine.

You can even use direct copies of original id1 player model and just recolor their helmet to see a visual difference in-game if you want. With every weapon switch you will see a different helmet color then. That is more than enough to make your tests with the mod.

Be creative and investigate your issue step by step for troubleshooting. That is my advice. Exclusion procedure is the key in my experience.
    I am sure you will be successful in the end !

Have a nice weekend,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• CharlieSandford
    replied
    i then extracted the files from the .pk3 and just put them in the progs folder now i get a version error (should be version 29) Im guessing thats down to me not having md3 support in engine and i suspect im using the wrong Trickle´s combined models version (if im using it atall, i assumed it was just the v_wep pack from Trickles website. I feel so dumb right now

Following your advice in the below post, I am wondering if im using the correct trickle weapon pack, I only see one v_weap pack on their site and ive followed your instructions but now am getting wrong version numbers on the mdl files. I suspect im using the wrong trickle pack, could you point me to the one you mean? Thanks again, i'll do my best to stop bothering you after this.
    Cheers Seven

I'm also wondering if theres any tutorials on adding pk3 and md3 to the engine, i desperately wanted to start over from scratch, and i do remember a v_weaps tutorial from back in the day that was purely written in .qc. Im just finding it impossible to work it out right now despite your awesome advice Seven. I've spent now about 5 hours going through the code, using trickles v_weaps pack and renaming the files the way you mentioned,i was also under the impression that if you did a -game short it'd load that progs.dat and the pak files in that directory, perhaps im misunderstanding something there too. I cant thankyou enough once again for your help but I simply cannot make this work. Perhaps my best bet is to figure out how to add pk3 and md3 support and things would be a lot easier.

p.s apologies for making new posts instead of editing old ones ;D Its been many years since ive used forums.
    Last edited by CharlieSandford; 02-24-2017, 08:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieSandford
    replied
    since my engine supports neither .md3 or .pk3 im using trickles vwep pack as suggested in the readme you wrote, however on load im getting an error saying "Mod_NumForNameprogs player_shot.mdl" not found Please forgive my further questions am i missing something silly? I extracted Trickles vweps to the correct folder so im not sure what im missing here

Leave a comment:

• CharlieSandford
    replied
    I cannot thankyou enough for that Seven. I am overwhelmed. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, now I will be able to understand it fully and such. Very much aprecciated!

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello CharlieSandford,

Asking me questions in realtime is quite difficult because I am not online often. I do not have a smartphone either (and am proud of it). So, you either have to wait minimum approx. 1 day for answers from myself or other forum members can answer questions.

Anyhow, I extracted the v_weapons code into a fresh vanilla 1.06 source for you. So you can play it in every engine. It should also work in multiplayer (I could not test it because I have no server or Lan or similar).

Tested only with FTE and DP because they support 3rd person view and that is the only way to "see" the player in SP. But the code is free of advanced engine extensions so it should work in all engines. Please read the readme for details.

Have fun with your v_weapons mod.
    Seven

Download

Leave a comment:

• CharlieSandford
    replied
    Got a bit ahead of myself I guess, after looking through your incredibly well written and commented code im still going to find it a nightmare to get this working haha. Just wanted to thankyou again for your help and I will let you know if I manage to figure it out, I hate to be a bother but is there any possible way I can reach you other than in the PM section of this forum? I have a few little questions I'd like to ask in realtime if atall possible. I'd be much indebted to you. Thanks
    Charlie

Leave a comment:

• CharlieSandford
    replied
    Thankyou so much for your reply Seven, that has been a huge help!

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    .... frame from within client.qc. Just like the powerup checks are also done every frame.

Kind regards and best of luck,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by enderandrew View Post
    Seven, can you please release your 5.5 source code?
    Hello enderandrew,
    Yes I will surely do it when releasing (together with) the new version. If that will not happen, I sent it to fellow friends.
    By reading other posts from you I think you only seem to see the "text" rather than the feature and the development behind it. Copy/pasting code blocks is something everybody with a text editor can do. Understanding, studying and finding the essence and ideas behind features is another thing.

Originally posted by CharlieSandford View Post
    Hi there seven, I had a question I tried to send you in private message but i guess your inbox is full. I wondered if it'd be okay for me to use your v_weapons code in a very simple project of mine, basically just me and some friends are looking to make our own quake server and one of the features we'd LOVE is v_weapons. Im better at engine coding than i am at QC so I wondered if there was any chance you could help me out on this matter, no worries if you are busy i totally understand, ive just been wracking my brains on this for days now with no success. Cheeers!
    Hello CharlieSandford,

First of all you have to know that there are different types of v_weapon features.

The one that "glues" the weapon models to the player model with setattachment or similar. That is the way that is described here. You will find links to mods and models that can do it on that link as well.

The one that uses different player models (including the weapons) for each weapon. That is how Hipnotic and in a way even original Quake uses.
    In original Quake, the player model is switched to the eyes model when using the ring. In Hipnotic a new weapon is introduced: The Mjolnir. To be able to actually see it in-game, the eyes trick/hack was extended to now also support a player model with the Mjolnir in his hands.

The SMC uses the latter option but for all weapons differently. The SMC doesnt use self.modelindex for that but the regular setmodel() + setsize() functions. It works robust in single player, but I do not know if it will also work in multiplayer.
    Anyhow, it is such a small function which can be converted into the self.modelindex hack easily. So it should work in multiplayer the one or the other way.

Please find the barebone function for it in the smc in the costum_effects.qc file. Its name is: switch_vweps(). It is called every .....

[had to split this post into 2 posts. Otherwise it always crashed]

Leave a comment:

• CharlieSandford
    replied
    Hi there seven, I had a question I tried to send you in private message but i guess your inbox is full. I wondered if it'd be okay for me to use your v_weapons code in a very simple project of mine, basically just me and some friends are looking to make our own quake server and one of the features we'd LOVE is v_weapons. Im better at engine coding than i am at QC so I wondered if there was any chance you could help me out on this matter, no worries if you are busy i totally understand, ive just been wracking my brains on this for days now with no success. Cheeers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X