X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've noticed the custom episode Contract Revoked support the SMC
    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• So I guess you're not going to fix the vore glitch then? I can post some screenshots of the problem if you want.

And blood, even Beyond Belief supports the SMC. The only level than needs the bbelief progs.dat is bbelief7 so you can kill Chthon with weapons. This can be done quite easily by any one of us since SMC is opensource.
      Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
        So I guess you're not going to fix the vore glitch then? I can post some screenshots of the problem if you want.

And blood, even Beyond Belief supports the SMC. The only level than needs the bbelief progs.dat is bbelief7 so you can kill Chthon with weapons. This can be done quite easily by any one of us since SMC is opensource.
        I don't play BBelief since many years, well, another good reason to play Beyond Belief in a new light
        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
          Hello JH24,

No, do not worry. It is never too late to say Hello.
          This is an open forum and people can walk in and out as they wish.
          It is always good to have some more active people who want to participate.
          After all, they can thus influence the development and steer its direction into one or the other direction.

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

If it's okay I wanted to ask you something, Seven.

My apologies if this is a weird question.

I was playing around with the settings in the smc cfg.file (I love the huge amount of choices and options) and one of the many things I found lots of fun was the section were you can replace monsters with for example Tormentors and Spiders. Or were you can add a supporting monster to an existing one within a level. An Afrit supporting a Shambler for example)

I wanted to ask if the following is possible or could work:

Personally I love playing levels which have a lot of heavy hitters like Fiends, Death Knights, Vores and Shamblers.

Would it be possible to have an option to replace certain Quake monsters with one of those? Like replacing an Ogre with a teleporting Fiend or a Vore? Or a Deathknight/Vore with a Shambler? Like "set shambler_replace_vore 15"

Or instead of replacing a monster, having an option to add an additional monster of the same kind to support it. Like for example a Fiend/Shambler having a second fiend/Shambler next to it. (set shambler_supports_shambler 25)
          Last edited by JH24; 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
            I've noticed the custom episode Contract Revoked support the SMC
            Hello Blood Vengeance,

It is not a question of "support". Every map that has been made since the release of Quake can be run in original Quake, as long as it doesnt bring its own 'progs.dat' with it. Which usualy is the case to bring additional features into a map/mod.
            If you browse the quaddicted.com archive, you will find hundreds and hundreds of maps. They all have their own page, where you can read some info about it, comments, screenshots and stuff.
            Below the screenshot, you will see a line with this symbol in the middle:

As long as there is no custom progs.dat included (neccesarry), that map runs with vanilla Quake (progs.dat). And therefore will also run with the "small mod compilation", as the smc is a *replacement* for the original id1 'progs.dat'.
            That is a rule you can always follow: The smc *supports* all maps that do not bring their own progs.dat.
            That is the main focus / target of this mod. To be able to use it with a big amount of maps.

================================

Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
            So I guess you're not going to fix the vore glitch then?
            Hello Pringles Man,

Why do you think so ? Did you ever see me ignoring a bug-report ? Or didnt fix a reported bug ? I do not think so. That is why I always encourage people to give feedback, ideas and things they would like to change/add.
            So, do not worry, I will look into it as soon as possible.

Hello JH24,

Yes, your suggestions are possible, as it uses the same code, that is already available. It is only a huge effort to create all available combinations though... counting the original monsters + the smc monsters (which approx. doubles the amount).
            But you can do it by yourself, as it is basically a copy/paste work for all existing combinations. The source is included. You can support me by doing the code and you or I can add it in.

What you want to do is, take this example:
            Code:
            /////// Torment chance to replace a knight:
            var float autocvar_torment_replace_knight = 10;		// set cvar 'torment_replace_knight' default to 10  (= 10%).  Set the percentage of replacing the knight with an torment (0= never.  100= always). Choose any value you want between 0 and 100
            							// cvar used inside knight.qc

if (autocvar_torment_replace_knight)	// if knight shall be replaced by Torment. Check the chance and do it !!)
            	{	
            	local float replacerrr;		
            	replacerrr = autocvar_torment_replace_knight * 0.01;
            	if (random () <= replacerrr)
            		{
            		self.health = autocvar_knight_health;		// default 75
            		self.scale = 1;
            		setsize (self, '-16 -16 -24', '16 16 40');
            		self.nextthink = time + 0.3;	
            		self.think = SUB_Remove;
            		monster_torment_start();
            		return;
            		}
            	}
            And make copies of it for all the "replacement" versions you want to have.

Then take this block:
            Code:
            /////// afrits chance to support a knight:
            var float autocvar_afrit_supports_knight = 10;		// set cvar 'afrit_supports_knight' default to 10  (= 10%).  Set the chance of spawning an ADDITIONAL afrit beside a knight  (0= never.  100= always). Choose any value you want between 0 and 100
            							// cvar used inside knight.qc

if (autocvar_afrit_supports_knight)		// if afrit shall be spawned in ADDITION to an existing knight. Check the chance and do it !!)
            {	
            	local float replace;		
            	replace = autocvar_afrit_supports_knight * 0.01;
            	if (random () <= replace)
            		add_afrit_support_walk ();
            }
            And make copies of it for all the "supporting" versions you want to have.

Just be sure to exchange each monster name in the variables and comments with the ones you want. You will recognize the existing variables when looking into smc_config.cfg.
            You can then also try it yourself. fteqccgui.exe is included for compiling. If you did everything correct, add the new auto_cvars into your smc_config.cfg to be able to edit the defaults and it will work.

That is the big advantage when releasing the sauce code ... aehhhmm I mean the source code together with the mod. So that also others can edit / extend / fork it to their personal likings.

Have fun playing around with the smc.
            Best of luck

I am making progress with the latest idea: blood puddles beneath corpses and increased gore when shooting them. I *think* you will like it...

Kind regards,
            Seven

Comment

• Thanks for the detailed reply, Seven.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as I don't have any experience with this but I certainly want to give it a try.

I just want to make sure I'm taking the right steps before changing the variables.

1. I've extracted fteqccgui.exe and put it into a new folder.
              2. I've extracted Seven's modified source gc. from SMC 5.20 beta into the same folder with fteqccgui.exe. I can now open the gc. files and look inside.
              3. When I've modified the "replace" and "support" block for a certain monster (For example a Fiend replacing an ogre), where do I have to place it? In the demon.qc or the ogre.qc? Or somewhere else? Can I copy/paste it into the qc?

4. Does self.health = autocvar_knight_health; mean that the monster replacing a knight has the same health as a knight? If I replace knight with for example demon (autocvar_demon_health) would the monster have the health number of a demon instead of a knight?

Here's an example of a modified block:

Code:
              /////// demon chance to replace a ogre:
              var float autocvar_demon_replace_ogre = 10;		// set cvar 'demon_replace_ogre' default to 10  (= 10%).  Set the percentage of replacing the ogre with a demon (0= never.  100= always). Choose any value you want between 0 and 100
              							// cvar used inside ogre.qc

if (autocvar_demon_replace_ogre)	// if ogre shall be replaced by Demon. Check the chance and do it !!)
              	{	
              	local float replacerrr;		
              	replacerrr = autocvar_demon_replace_ogre * 0.01;
              	if (random () <= replacerrr)
              		{
              		self.health = autocvar_ogre_health;		// default 75
              		self.scale = 1;
              		setsize (self, '-16 -16 -24', '16 16 40');
              		self.nextthink = time + 0.3;	
              		self.think = SUB_Remove;
              		monster_demon_start();
              		return;
              		}
              	}
              Block for support:

Code:
              /////// shamblers chance to support a shambler:
              var float autocvar_shambler_supports_shambler = 10;		// set cvar 'shambler_supports_shambler' default to 10  (= 10%).  Set the chance of spawning an ADDITIONAL shambler beside a shambler  (0= never.  100= always). Choose any value you want between 0 and 100
              							// cvar used inside shambler.qc

if (autocvar_shambler_supports_shambler)		// if shambler shall be spawned in ADDITION to an existing shambler. Check the chance and do it !!)
              {	
              	local float replace;		
              	replace = autocvar_shambler_supports_shambler * 0.01;
              	if (random () <= replace)
              		add_shambler_support_walk ();
              }

My apologies for these questions. I want to give it a try, but I want to be sure I'm doing things in the right way before starting.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
              Last edited by JH24; 06-24-2015, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                Hello Blood Vengeance,
                It is not a question of "support". Every map that has been made since the release of Quake can be run in original Quake, as long as it doesnt bring its own 'progs.dat' with it. Which usualy is the case to bring additional features into a map/mod.
                hi seven,
                -
                statement above is not 100% correct. there are levels or at least one level that doesn´t work with smc. have you tried the dark ritual? it doesn't come with custom progs.dat but the final battle is broken. i don't understand how it was done, but negke somehow managed to include into the level modified monster even without extra progs.dat. how?... no idea. i had some problems with other negke's maps.
                -
                and as always - thanks for your work :-)
                -
                jakub
                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• "I am making progress with the latest idea: blood puddles beneath corpses and increased gore when shooting them. I *think* you will like it... "

SWEET!

Comment

• ben meaning to suggest this for a while, and seeing you post both of these features in cobalt's 'axe code overhaul' thread reminded me to suggest them

could you mayhaps add the throwing mjolnir feature from drake to hipnotic?
                    right now in hipnotic the hammer is pretty much useless,
                    and the throwing feature would actually make it usefull and it perfectly fits with the legend about the mjolnir.

and the axe throwing feature also seems very neat and usefull.
                    although i'd suggest making it so that you have only 1 axe and that once thrown you lose your axe untill its picked up again,
                    so that the throwing feature doesnt make the axe way super powerfull in comparsion to before,
                    and having to fetch the axe after throwing would balance out how high the damage is when its thrown
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Talisa i like that idea of fetching the axe maybe it could even stick in the wall too. i know at some point i will toss it in to the water or lava so i would ask that you would be given a new axe when you start a new map.

Comment

• Originally posted by JH24 View Post
                        I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as I don't have any experience with this but I certainly want to give it a try.
                        Hello JH24,

You do not need to modify the gamecode if you do not want to or feel uncomfortable with it. Simply create the additional blocks (add them into a .txt file if you want) and I will put them in later. You already save me much time by doing so. Do not worry about the qc files themselves. All the new functions that you are calling now (like monster_demon_start()) does not exist yet and I have to create them anyhow.

=================================

Talisa, JDStoner,

That would be a huge gameplay change. I am no friend of the throwing axe. It doesnt make much sense as you always have the shotgun with almost equal damage, so....
                        For the mjolnir (beeing a great fan of Thor) as it does a lot more damage, I will look into it when I will work on hipnotic again (the game will become a lot easier then though). OK, noted on the (long) list.

=================================

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                        "I am making progress with the latest idea: blood puddles beneath corpses and increased gore when shooting them. I *think* you will like it... "

SWEET!
                        Hehehe,
                        I knew somethig important was missing in the smc. Now I know what it was:
                        [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lxtYBnfa4[/ame]

That one is really something special. I like this new feature a lot.
                        It is still work in progress. Needs some finetuning I think.

Have fun,
                        Seven

Comment

• yeah.. blood puddles with an extra gore on the side.. nice feature. reminds me of the new e3 doom4 gameplay footage. :-)
                          -
                          jakub
                          my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                          Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                          Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• I likey:
                            Any chance those sg shell eject sounds were mine?
                            WARNING
                            May be too intense for some viewers.
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                            ---------------------------
                            .--------------------------

Comment

• awesome! looks great seven, and it really adds to the game, that dead enemies will actually have puddles of blood around their corpses!

and on the mjolnir... it actually doesnt make the game easier,
                              as throwing the hammer uses up a lot of electricity, which balances out how powerfull the impact damage is.

and it makes that you will only be able to throw it a couple times before you're out of electrity again

in the drake mod itself it uses up 25electricity every time you throw the hammer
                              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• the blood work looks super sweet. this may be hard to do but maybe add bloody player foot prints for a few feet if you step in it. way to bring this idea to be a real thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X